A Show of Shows - Superbooth, SFF, NAMM - Spring 23

Ugh I regret selling my OB1 years ago (for $450 no less). I would love if they reissued that.

2 Likes

An Oberheim in Take5 territory would be mind blowing. I’m getting anxious as SB approaches but after NAMM I’m keeping expectations in check.

5 Likes

physical modeling maybe?

16 Likes

I hope so, that would be great. I’d love to see one of the big companies tackling Physical Modeling synthesis, and to be honest I’m surprised Yamaha don’t have any such synths on the market!

1 Like

Hang on a minute! Since they refer to it as an “Acoustic Synth”, I think it might be some sort of electromachanical synthesizer that uses actual moving parts to generate its sound.

Korg have already proven themselves capable of developing components in the form of their very own Nutube. So don’t be surprised if analogue-minded Tats and his team have been developing some tiny, purpose-designed electromachanical components to be used in what might become a whole range of electromechanical synthesizers.

If it were Physical Modeling I can’t imagine why Korg would refer to it as an “Acoustic Synth”. So I reckon it could be an actual elecromechanical synthesizer using tiny, purpose-made components that are conductive to generating sound.

4 Likes

Korg Berlin did have a man with the title of “applied physics engineer” on staff for a while, but he has moved on, or changed titles, as i can’t find him on staff now. That was unusual enough that i made note of it in this post.

The other thing that was unusual was the research they were doing on plastics, and the stress they are making on sustainable development, also noted in that post.

ADDED : The staff has definitely changed, i think the physics guy might have been older, i noticed an older engineer, and he is gone. BTW in development, it is quite common for experts to be brought in for short term contract assignments, this is not a sign of instability. They also have a mechanical engineer, and typically they would be there for mechanical parts, as opposed to assembly issues.

3 Likes

Norand will be showing their Norand Mono Mk2 at SB. See post in this thread.

4 Likes

Damn, had such hopes for a Stereo. :wink:

Knobula Pianophonic

It’s an eight voice wavetable synth, with what looks like some interesting functions.

From the article below :
Knobula ships the module with an SD card featuring many key-mapped wavetables derived from a wide variety of instruments including four types of acoustic piano, electric piano, guitars, tuned percussion, several classic synthesizers as well as other useful sets of harmonic waveforms. You can also upload own sounds via Knobula’s online Waveslicer tool. Thus, you can also create your own custom sounds for Pianophonic.

Personal reaction – i really like the way this sounds and the sorts of things it apparently can do.

7 Likes

Interesting. I could see the appeal of this in something like NiftyKeys…

Clank Proteo

Very unclear what this is exactly, more at the tease phase :

We’ll have to wait.

3 Likes

Nooo. :grin:

Displays suggesting dual/stereo wavetable?
Intrigued… O for thru-zero FM maybe?

Waveshaping or perhaps even a filter right side?
Freeze buttons!
Definitely freeze buttons.

Proteo is a new stereo oscillator with a constantly evolving character. Whether it is an analog or digital core is unknown, but I point to digital because the previous Clank modules were more in the digital field.

According to the developer, it uses two independent time-based acquiring paths that transform incoming voltages into sounds. From this, it casts a mold for the oscillator waveform.

Clanks says the sonic result is a constantly evolving waveform with a freeze functionality on each side. Plus, you can blend it with a sine wave. Further, the two oscillators are tied together from the common pitch. With the span control, you can set the pitch distance in between.

2 Likes

New case from Befaco, or did I just miss this earlier? https://www.befaco.org/

Also as DIY apparently…
Very curious what the price is going to be.
Befaco ain’t exactly cheap tbh. (not that I’m complaining!)

I believe I heard Robin Vincent / Molten Modular say he will have something new to show at the Befaco booth.

I thought their Motion MTR was pretty neat.
Was looking forward to see another nerdy tool.

5 Likes

Befaco is also making the “Trolleybus” power supply from the case available separately for €260 assembled or €190 as a kit.

The Befaco 7U Case is 104HP wide and will be available at the end of June for €650 assembled or €550 as a kit

(Gearnews.com)

2 Likes

Wow, it does kinda sound as if they’ve been developing elecromechanical synthesizer components then, and if so that’s really good to hear!

1 Like
5 Likes

Ooh nice! I’ve not seen it before for sure. Although they goofed by putting the 1U row at the top that’s the main issue I have with my performance case - they should have used this as an opportunity to improve that layout rather than just copying the Intellijel cases, IMO. Having it in the middle or even the bottom is far more useful - ideally the rails could have been moved so you could have it wherever you wanted, especially if DIY.

They’re definitely at the cheaper end of the scale, their DIY stuff especially is very affordable and they’re often simple builds. I’d expect this to be cheaper than the Intellijel case.

1 Like

Hm it says available now but I don’t see it anywhere :thinking: Their modules are great.

Can’t imagine it’s cheap mind…

1 Like

At least on the Befaco site it says:

Created with compatibility in mind, the rear panel ports are fully compatible with Intellijel 1U modules. The 1U row can be easily customized to be at the center of the case with just two screws.

Looks like a great case overall! Built in USB power is really helpful - currently using a 1U module for that.

3 Likes

Ah I looked on the website but somehow missed that! In which case that’s a great move :ok_hand:

The VESA mount compatibility is cool too.

Yea same here I use a 1U USB module to power my MIDIHUB, all in all looks like a great case.

2 Likes