Norand Mono (Analog Bass Synth with Sequencer)

MIDI clock setting has changed over to the C button (originally i think it was B)

3 Likes

Yes, @Unilino if they haven’t updated the manual to change that a reminder would probably be useful :slight_smile:

1 Like

One of my standard techniques is to use both Page Randomizer and unlimited Undo/Redo. The page randomizer does not randomize the whole page. What it does is add a few trigs (with some randomized accents/slides) to the ones already laid down (it will do nothing if all trigs are used), in the currently selected scale, and to my ears, using an algorithm so things sound more melodic and not too extreme. If what is added is not to your liking, you can edit individual trigs, but don’t do that; instead, just Undo and try again. If you do this, you will end up with a series of sequences, each one a good addition of a few notes to the previous one. Then you can use Undo/Redo to move up and down this series, while twisting knobs (which do not affect the sequencer, so won’t be undone/redone) to alter the sound. This can stretch things out quite a long time compared to a single static sequence. When you get tired of it, Undo back to a good base, and then hit Page Randomize again (wiping out the series after it, but not before, by starting a new edit) and build up a new series. Before you know it, an hour has gone by.

8 Likes

Good sh1t :point_up_2: :fire:

1 Like

boom, massive…

2 Likes

Mk2 is coming!

6 Likes

Interesting. Visually it looks like a collab with Keith McMillen.

5 Likes

from the Gearnews article :

Gone are the Prophet 5-esque buttons and in comes an expressive “3D” keyboard. Sensors allow for an improved level of expression. Aftertouch, velocity, pitch bend and vertical modulation are all handled by these new keys. The same 3D sensors are now also employed in the sequencer and page buttons. This enables features such as live-playhead and pattern morphing.

Certainly KMI has the expertise in these sort of sensors with their “Smart Sensor Fabric” technology, but it is not impossible that this sort of thing could come from another source or even been developed in house. This should make this a very expressive instrument, though not sure that matches with the present owners of the first version.

2 Likes

Cool! I’m glad they’re using their time to evolve.

The Gearnews article doesn’t mention MPE, which is another technology that KMI is big on.

Not that this would be conclusive, either way, but MPE, might work well for control in this sort of thing.

( MIDI 2.0 too but i really doubt that with this. )

2 Likes

Or Modal Electronics?

2 Likes

It is intriguing. The Mono has become one of my favorite synths, so maybe a MK2 is on the horizon as well.

Hmm yeah perhaps some potential for it to be a MPE controller for something? It being a Monosynth MPE doesn’t really make sense on the device itself. Anyone try their Morphos and have anything to say about the soft touch morphing stuff?

I dunno can’t help hope this prompts someone to sell an MK1 for cheap… I much prefer the look of it, even if it doesn’t have the new features.

2 Likes

Yeah you’re right.

I also prefer the look of the MKI, and, the way I use it, may not utilize all the features of a MKII. But, the soft clip sounds interesting, and I although I don’t like the looks of them, the step buttons being connected give better visual feedback. I’m just not sure I’ll like those gummy keys. I do have a Keith McMillen keyboard thing, and those keys take some getting used to.

I will say this, if the MKI prices drop and anyone is on the fence, just do it. Love the Mono.

1 Like

Love the mono. I’m gonna be very tempted to get the mk2 because of course I am. Ugh.

3 Likes

My experience with the Norand Morphos Eurorack module was disappointing, and it became one of the two modules I have gotten rid of, but one positive aspect of that experience was that it has rendered me indifferent to this mk2, because I have experienced those touch strips, new-style buttons, and “3D morphing”, and I want none of them. I can’t help but wonder if component shortages played a role. SD storage, USB-C, USB host, and aluminum body would be nice, but these are not must-haves. I will continue to treasure my Mono mk1, and hope that the new version can still be recommended to newcomers.

5 Likes

Yeah having a avalon in a perpetually “someday on its way” state and my recent purchase of the cascadia which lets me get up to some through zero FM shenanigans I really shouldn’t but I was quite tempted by the Norand before I preorder the avalon.

3 Likes

Also this quote from the GN article made me laugh:

“after working closely with the Mono user community”

They set up a forum and then pretty much ignored everything on it. From their point of view it is for broadcast. I think Mathieu even said at some point to just send them email. And they have responded to my emails reasonably promptly (like within 48 hours). Don’t believe any release dates from them. I understand component shortages affect things, but the latest firmware was almost a year later than initially claimed. Sorry, this is more negative than I like to be on this forum, but this is also the place I feel safest venting, so…

3 Likes

I don’t have a Cascadia, but I used to own an Avalon, and I can definitely say that the Mono is different enough to warrant both in my opinion, if you liked both. I also have a thing for state variable filters though, and I love the way it is implemented in the Mono.

1 Like