303 Clones

Given the choice, would u choose Xoxbox or TT-303 or something else?

Need to make a snappy decision… and I have high regard for the opinion of you fine people;)

I’m not a 303 purist… so functionality/usability/tweakability are my main concerns.

Thanks in advance for your views:)

Martin

As you are not a 303 purist, then I would go for Roland TB-3.
The sound is nearly there, and also some fun features like 2 types of pattern randomizers (my fave is the one that just randomizes octaves, slides, and accents, but keeps notes intact)

Plus it has midi, can be usb powered, as well as function as a 96khz USB audio interface for your DAW, if you’re into that. Up to 32 step sequencer is also nice.

1 Like

http://www.acidvoice.com/tb_303_clones_contest.htm for comparisons.

Personally I would go for a 303 clone with some mods so the sound can be tweaked more.

Like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/x0xb0x-with-Atomic-Mods-1-ALUMINUM-CASE-Black-or-Silver-Original-Parts-/151649572265?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234f04d5a9

The sound is nearly there, and also some fun features like 2 types of pattern randomizers (my fave is the one that just randomizes octaves, slides, and accents, but keeps notes intact)

Plus it has midi, can be usb powered, as well as function as a 96khz USB audio interface for your DAW, if you’re into that. Up to 32 step sequencer is also nice.[/quote]
Thanks Adam, but I have to pick between the mentioned two as there are two great deals nearby.
I have nothing against the TB-3 at all, listened to it and it sounds brill but I used it at a music shop and just didn’t fancy the feel of it.
Thanks for the advice:)

I don’t want to offend anyone from Hong Kong, but i heard of dodgy units coming out of there. I’m not sure there’s any truth to them rumours?
That really looks lovely, but well outside my price range, and I’d face import duty on top:(
Thanks for the tip!:slight_smile:

I have a tt303 and it is just fine.

Anyway, based on your comments, the only good option left is a x0xb0x!
or a plugin (ABL2)

I have an xoxbox and I think its great! They have many many mods that can be done along with custom firmwares. It’s a through hole circuit design that allows for easy modification. Patterns can be edited while the sequencer is running and with some of the custom firmwares you can change swing and gate times. Even swing the din sync output. I am running MarOS. Definately the most flexible option.

The tt303 is surface mount and it makes mods more difficult.

Yeah, I’m siding with a Xox. Guess there’s not vast differences between the two though.

I had both and I would say that they are both very good!
[ul]
[li]Bonus on the TT303 for the look.[/li]
[li]Bonus on the x0x for some mods.[/li]
[/ul]

I was never a huge fan of the look of the 303 (GASP!)
The TT303 would save a few precious square milimetres of desk space though.
I think the xox (ladyada/modemachines type) looks great. Functional, uncluttered and devoid of general frillyness.

EDIT: not that the original 303 looks frilly or anything;)

I was never a huge fan of the look of the 303 (GASP!)

Sacrilegious!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thankfully, it’s the sound that’s the important thing;)

Acidlab Bassline II or III … I have the II and can’t fault it…Sounds great and the build quality is good… Never opened it up to see if surface mount or thru hole components… Not aware of any mods for it either…

Cheers. I looked into em and could not find any with knockdown prices. They do look unreal.

Another TT-303 owner here. I’m satisfied with it. My only critique is the filter doesn’t seem to be able to scream as much as those on the vintage TB-303s. I picked up a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive to compensate. Aside from that, it comes close enough to the sound of a TB. It was on sale when I bought it.

There are a lot of features I have yet to explore on it: the InstaDJ, the personality algos, the arpeggiator, pattern mutation, etc.

ive got tt303 and tb-3

i think i prefer the tt303 , not as easy to knock in notes but i prefer having the knobs to tweak and i get closer to the sound i’m looking for.

i havent programmed either via midi though, only using the box themselves.

tb-3’s probably the cheapest option , i got tt303 off ebay for about £250

1 Like

I have just bought a X0xb0x from Andy Pledger.
Its a straightforward ladyada circuitboard.

Andy has designed his own case - all metal construction built like a tank, better than the stock plastic cases.
He also has designed and built his own hardware in the past, and knows what is what and why when it comes to matching and pairing components.

It seems that he makes batches as and when, and can be sourced direct though via ebay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/x0xb0x-Roland-TB-303-Clone-Acid-House-Machine-/151663454462?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item234fd8a8fe

It sounds the business.

Mine is in Black - matches my Elektron hardware

Cheers again for the tips.

Fingers cross I’ll be picking up a used Xoxbox tonight. I’m sure that box has got everything I need, and everything my girlfriend doesn’t right now.

Got my eye on a cheap boss ds-1 distortion pedal too… but no rush till I understand the box properly.

casual Acid fan here, been GASSING for a Bass Bot for a while now, bonus points for the wicked soft case for authenticity.

Plus it has midi, can be usb powered, as well as function as a 96khz USB audio interface for your DAW, if you’re into that. Up to 32 step sequencer is also nice.[/quote]
Thanks Adam, but I have to pick between the mentioned two as there are two great deals nearby.
I have nothing against the TB-3 at all, listened to it and it sounds brill but I used it at a music shop and just didn’t fancy the feel of it.
Thanks for the advice:)[/quote]
I bought one of those “dodgy” atomic mod units a few years back. The knobs were crap and basically fell off and it was completely out of tune. I mean it would track a single octave. After replacing the knobs and tuning it though I absolutely love it. The black aluminum case looks great and the mods sound great. I especially like the filter FM and distortion. I run it through the moog minifooger filter/distortion which is by far the best distortion pedal I’ve tried on it.