Digitakt + 303 Clone (Roland vs Behringer)

Hi there, I’m looking for a way to use the Digitakt sequencer (midi tracks) to sequence a 303 clone.
Which one is recommended? The Behringer is very limited when it comes to midi … so Roland?
I would like to use accents and slides … if possible … has anyone had experience with this?
thank you so much!

td3 can do accents and slides.
td3-MO can also do midi cc for filter.
roland tb-03 can do more midi cc … slides are a midi CC i think (not overlapping notes).

lots more info if you use google … videos on youtube etc.

1 Like

Sadly discontinued but the MAM MB33 Retro was good for this. It received an Accent when MIDI velocity was received above a certain amount. I believe it did slides with overlapping notes too. Didn’t really sound like a 303 but still a fun acid machine.

3 Likes

I think that many people prefer to use the internal sequencer of the 303 clone, and tempo synchronize it with the other sequencer (Digitakt).

Here are some opinions:

4 Likes

If you have an iOS device give Troublemaker a try. It emulates electronic circuits. It sounds better than you might expect.

https://ruismaker.com/troublemaker/

There’s a 3 minute sound demo on the page linked.

Whatever you decide to use; don’t forget to check exactly what can be controlled over midi in the manuals of 303 clone candidates.

1 Like

I’m can’t speak for the Roland remake but can say the Behringer sounds really good. All of the Behringer clones that I have heard sound good.

3 Likes

Roll the dice. There are so many differing opinions, just go with your guts. As for sequencing, the 303 magic comes from its sequencer. Externally sequencing a 303 clone just doesnt feel (or sound) as good.

I got given a X0xbox kit, built it and I love it.

1 Like

Straight up, the TD-3 is unusable externally sequenced, its timing is all over the place. The internal sequencer is great though if you can handle it, I’d say worth learning it if you want the acid sound.

I also own TB-03 and that is fine sequenced over MIDI, and offers CC if you want that. Internal effects are useful too.

1 Like

I own the TB-03 and would probably not buy it again if I had the chance.

The low-end gets completely hollowed out when you increase the resonance. Unsure about the TD-3 though as I’ve never seen one in real life.

1 Like

&
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/_tFu9bUehZc

Works well with the TD-3-MO :wink:

Overlapping notes = glide
Velocity = accents

4 Likes

Thanks for the replys! That helps.

I’m going with the Roland TB03 – already found one for a “good” price.
TD03 MO looks pretty good as well! can’t go wrong with that so maybe I need a second one haha.

I know the sequencer of a 303. had a xoxbox about 10 years ago but unfortunately sold it a few years ago. the troublemaker sound nice but I already use the phoscyon which is great btw.

1 Like