1010music Nanobox Razzmatazz

I thought I’d share this vid here, which I really enjoyed and which shows off the possibilities of velocity modulation on the Razz using drumpads. I don’t know if this guy is on the forum or not. I’d kinda been GASsing over a Nord 3P but this has got me thinking - why not both?

This has also got me thinking about the possibilities of a small setup based around the Blackbox, Razzmatazz, Tangerine and Bluebox, with a midi keyboard and drumpads.

3 Likes

Sorry for the repost
The Razzmatazz was the centerpiece for this liveset, together with the BlastBeats

1010music shipped a firmware update beta for razzmatazz just before US Thanksgiving if you’ve got time this weekend to check it out. It’s on the forum here (login required).

Notable changes include:

• USB MIDI. You can now connect your razzmatazz to a computer, blackbox, or some other USB host and receive MIDI over the USB cable.
  • Internal resampling. Hold the Home button and jump to the WAV screen. You can now sample the internal sounds using the sequencer into a new WAV file. Take advantage of the quantized recording to create a Clip.
  • Unlimited Clip and Slicer pads. All 8 pads can now load clips or sliced WAVs
  • Automation. Look for the bar control in the sequencer stack.
  • Pitch Modulation. Look for the new Pitch Mod control in the Setup screen for each pad
  • MIDI Output option: See the new MIDI Out option in the config menu to send MIDI clock to downstream devices
  • MIDI Type A/B output: Also in the config menu, you can choose to support the Type B standard (previous default) or Type A devices.
  • FX3 Bypass control. In the pad setup, you can disable FX3 (Cab Distortion) on some pads
  • Now supports stereo samples

Feedback you’d like us to consider to the 1010music forum here, please. I’ll keep an eye on this thread, but my daughter’s in town for the US Thanksgiving holiday and no promises as to when/if I can respond in a timely manner.

(Please flag and I’ll delete if inappropriate, since I work for 1010music.)

16 Likes

wow - some great stuff in that update, particularly these for me:

• Unlimited Clip and Slicer pads. All 8 pads can now load clips or sliced WAVs
  • Pitch Modulation. Look for the new Pitch Mod control in the Setup screen for each pad
  • Now supports stereo samples

!

1 Like

Oh man what a great week! Thanks a bunch 1010!

YESSSSSS !!!
It’s update week, it seems :slight_smile:

1 Like

All this is very welcome! Thanks so much!

I just can’t help being disappointed it’s still not possible to change pattern via MIDI notes. It looks (to me) like a very basic feature for such a machine - it’s sooooo convenient on the BlackBox.
This would be so much more useful than the current preset change via Program Change.
(because you usually don’t need to change preset so often as you change pattern, or is it just me?)

Also, no CC or any modulation controls on the FX3 page 🥲

But, yeah, it’s still a great update!

Very nice, TY.

1 Like

What does pitch mod mean?
Does that make it possible to make simple melodies with pitch automation? I am sorry, I am just learning about synthesis.

The answer is “yep”

1 Like

Woohoo that’s it, now I will buy one. I was waiting for this feature. I really wanted it to be a mini-groovebox and now it is.
Thank you for your reply.

1 Like

I have to point out that I’m not sure how straightforward the feature is to create melodies as such, as automation is defined in a bar graph style display (with very narrow bars). So I guess it must be difficult - but not impossible - to achieve intended results.
But I haven’t dug enough into that.
There’s so much going on these days with various updates!

Geez @KF6GPE just in time to slay the ep-133. This update is huge. I’m so in :sunny:

1 Like

I just want some baselines, nothing to fancy. I hope someone will post a YouTube clip showing this feature.

I’ve a feeling midi note pitch is reserved for the forthcoming Tangerine

Is it possible to record quantized Loop from incoming audio?

Yes, I just tried that.
On the Record page, where you usually record samples, there is (now?) a Rec Quant setting that allows you to choose the record quantization.
That’s pretty neat!

1 Like

Playing with the Automation page at the moment: such a massive addition in terms of sound design!

You can assign the created automation as a modulation source to pretty much any modulation destination, it really opens up a new world.

Just 2 things:

• it would have been really cool to be able to disconnect the automation length from the sequence length to avoid repetitive loops - but, yeah, first world issue
  • I get clicks/pops when there’s a high discrepancy between automation bars, but maybe that’s a general problem occurring in case of sudden value change
3 Likes

Out of curiosity, for your first point — you mean one-shot the automation? Or make It a different length than the loop? (The second would be a challenge with how we store the different sequencer/automation stuff, but it’s worth my bringing back to the team for consideration.

For the second, I’m surprised about the clicks/pops. It might be that, or (gasp!) we might have a bug. I’ll file that on our agile board for examination. Oh, and what are you modulating with it?

4 Likes

Regarding my first point, I meant having different number of steps in the automation sequence and in the trig sequence - I don’t know if that’s clear. Say the trig sequence is 16 steps, have the automation cycle on 12 steps.
I have no knowledge in programming whatsoever, but I can imagine it might be difficult to implement. That would be so col, though :slight_smile:

(This takes nothing away from the automation sequence already being a massive addition to the Razz!)

Regarding the clicks and pops, I have tried again briefly, and I think the issue came from discrepancies that too big in resonance with radical filtering. So it’s probably not the fault of the Automation page, that could happen with a sawtooth LFO, I gather.
But I would need to investigate further - and I can’t at the moment due to a massive workload.