1010music Nanobox Razzmatazz

Went to order a model:cycles and ended up ordering one of these.
Sigh. I nearly made it through the whole ‘holiday sales’ thing this year, but getting this for 30 more than the cycles just felt like the right thing to do.

Now the waiting; ugh, the waiting.

(Sorry for the delay here…)

Thanks! Yeah, the different steps between auto & trig sequence is a good idea, and one we’ve certainly kicked around.

As for the other — thank you!! I think you’re probably right about what’s going on. I’ve brought it back to the agile board here for us to discuss and see what makes sense (no promises, of course). As you can imagine, sharp jumps in the automation values can be hard to smooth with things that really care, like filter or resonance values.

2 Likes

Midi over usb … is there a way to have the LPD-8 pad controller connect to Razz directly now then?

The razzmatazz operates as a MIDI device, not host. Does the LPD-8 provide a host interface? I’m not familiar with it — but I don’t think it does, and in that case, no, unfortunately.

One thing that would be cool in the new automation page would be to see which automation bars contain trigs.
I mean, e.g. showing the bars in a different color when they apply to steps containing trigs (don’t know if that’s clear)

While I’m at it:

• Adding FX3 parameters as modulation destinations would be awesome, and/or just make them CC controllable.

• On the main Config page, it would be consistent (and useful) to have an “Input FX3” parameter (under “Input FX1” and “Input FX2”). As it is now, FX3 always applies to live input, which can be a problem.

The LPD-8 is not a MIDI host. You can use a Retrokits RK006 as a MIDI host and connect with TRS midi to the Razzmatazz. Works great. Also useful for connecting other MIDI gear with TRS connections.

1 Like

Arrived today.
I knew it was small, and it’s definitely small. Perfectly small.
Updated the firmware to 1.10 and played around for an hour or so with it, mostly self-explanatory actually once 1.10 was on it.

I think I’ll like it for what I got it for: replacing a really old MC-307 that was way too big for my new setup and that I was only really using for a metronome as a result. I figure this one can be more than a metronome (and it has one anyway). Drum-fills and little bits of ‘variation’ percussion is what I want to do with it.

Now, back in your little box until I keep a promise I made 20 years ago.

1 Like

Has anybody worn out their USB connection on this yet?
I didn’t realize, argh, that it’s a plug in for on, unplug for off device, which is probably old news but I once again assumed that people in 2023 made feature-complete items at its price point.

I see usb switches but I don’t need more gear that requires more gear, particularly related to cables.
So seriously, how’s the USB-C connector holding up? I have an extension cable I can use to unplug ‘off’ of the device but I’ll forget it and leave it on forever I’m sure and will probably eventually revert to just unplugging from the back of the unit out of time rushes here or there.

I’m still in my return window.

I work for 1010music, so a disclaimer there.

I have a few developer units, which are essentially the same H/W as what we sell, just with some debugger port stuff on and off the back.

I’ve had one test unit since August of 2021, and plug in / unplug the USB-C connector multiple times a day. It hasn’t failed yet.

That’s not saying that it won’t fail at one point, and that it’s a sample size of 1, but we designed it to be robust (and USB-C is better than micro USB anyway), and mine’s put up with significant abuse.

YMMV.

4 Likes

I’ll at least plug it in to an extension so I don’t have to unplug it from the connector so often.
It will fail eventually, usually by just getting lose, so a more permanent solution in-unit would be golden.

Just two more weeks and I can slot it in the setup.

1 Like

I often look at this little device. The mix of FM synthesis & sample (it could be great to modulate the sample pitch with FM oscillator !), the decent amout of modulations and the great FX per tracks and on the master make it very appealing but why is there not a way to play sounds chromatically with midi notes ? That would change everything :slight_smile:
If so, I could have a micro dream set up combined with a Torso T1. If this feature was added, it would buy it in the minute !

3 Likes

Tangerine!

2 Likes

No FM engine, less modulations and less effects, no need for me ! :slight_smile:

Maybe you know already, but sample pitch cannot be modulated by the FM oscillators on the Rz. That would be a good feature request, as a matter of fact.

This being said, I never found myself short on modulations - although it’s true the sample layer could use some more, maybe.

This thing is really deep, but you can still know your way around the rabbit hole, so to speak - even if it can take some time at first to get fully comfortable with.

I’m currently testing a setup including the Razz and the M8. While the latter is crazy deep and flexible, its sample quality doesn’t match the Razz - to my ears at least.

1 Like

Yes, I was talking about the sample pitch modulated by FM osc as a wish :slightly_smiling_face:

Those days, I was reading the Machinedrum manual and I kind of get why people love this device so much, I think it’s about the machine architecture + a bunch of shaping effects (eq, filter, bitcrush, distorsion, AM, etc…) that allows both simplicity and deep sound shaping.
And then I got back on the Razzmatazz manual and I had the feeling this device is really close to a nano machinedrum with the same concept in mind (machine architecture + great sounding & versatile effects).
All the sound examples I heared from the Razzmatazz sounded great ! (way more than Syntakt for example).

2 Likes

Yes, I also own a MD and it’s obviously deeper. Yet the Razz has just the right amount of control for me and it sounds just pristine.
But it’s true both have some character in common, I would say.

1 Like

For some reason the razz isn’t responding to midi notes. I’m trying to sequence it from the oxi one and then I tried the deluge.

I’m using note c2 and getting nothing. I know midi is connected properly because the razz sequencer starts when I hit play on the sequencer.

Any ideas? It’s worked in the past…

I’m traveling and don’t have mine or the manual in front of me, but could it be that you’re sending on a different channel than the razz is listening?

(I’ve made that mistake, which is why I ask. You’ve probably already checked that…)

Yeah, I’ve tried every channel…not sure what I’m doing wrong this time :thinking: