1010music Nanobox Razzmatazz

So how are people getting on with the Razzmatazz? I’ve been close to buying one on Reverb a few times.

1 Like

It sounds amazing and unique, that much is for sure!

1 Like

I know you get down with the current sounds thread so maybe you’ve heard this already but I was blown away and the Razz definitely moved a spot or two up the GAS list.

Huh… I thought it’d bring the audio over to this thread but I guess not. Click that link!

2 Likes

Okay I ordered it. God, drum machines are my Achilles Heel.

5 Likes

Once you’ve been spoiled with 2 filters, each with 2 env and 1 LFO modulation, this on each pad, you find yourself strangely limited in terms of sound design with any other synth/drum machine. At least, I do.

3 Likes

The razzmatazz and volca drum are really amazing and I wish had bigger interfaces.

2 Likes

please post what you do with it, fascinated to hear what it can do

I have a video of a live performance in preparation. Hopefully I can post it soon.

2 Likes

Could you please explain to me how to use samples in stereo on the Razz?

Sample preview is stereo, but when I import the sample and want to use/sequence it the playback is mono on my fully updated Razz…

Recording is the same thing… Monitoring on Razz is stereo, the recording is in stereo, but playback after recording is mono…

Am I missing a (hidden) setting somewhere?

Edit: Never mind I found the following comment on the 1010 forum:

Well, my initial excitement was quickly tamed by the discovery that the FM engine only loads mono samples.

Stereo samples can only be loaded in slice/clip mode, that is, on only 1 pad out of 8.

To me this rules out the main use I bought it for which was to have a small sampler that would trigger stereo samples.

The manual specifies that the samples it uses are 1 or 2 channels (page 87) but it does not say that the stereo ones can only be loaded on the clip/slice pad. The FM engine does not load stereo samples at all.

This to me feels negligent with the customers.

I do agree this should be clear from the manual and is misleading… :frowning:

Yeah, I’ll be the first to admit that we blew it here.

By way of a (feeble) explanation — we pulled the stereo feature there at the very last minute before the release for performance reasons. The change didn’t make it in the manual, and in fact didn’t even make it into my head, which is why I said what I said above.

My profound apologies. It’s definitely an embarrassing oversight by all of us.

6 Likes

Thanks for the reply! I hope you guys will adjust the manual accordingly soon.

Besides that, it really is a nice and lovely little drum/sample groove machine (even in mono) and I guess not many users mentioned this before so there is that :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!!

Yeah, a manual update’s on the backlog. We’ve got a few other things in front of getting that done, though.

4 Likes

Since you’re here, there’s a couple of small updates that would be very welcome for the Razz on the wishlist of the 1010music forum :blush:

Only a couple? :slight_smile:

But seriously, yeah, we look at all those. We’re a small team, and it’s a matter of balancing firmware updates for existing products and new stuff coming down the pipe. They’re definitely in the backlog for consideration for possible future updates.

It’s great to see people’s feedback on both that and other forums, though, and know what people are looking for. For a variety of reasons everyone does not always get everything they’re asking for, but we do listen very closely to people’s ideas.

(For those that haven’t seen me say this before, though — the place for “real” support requests and ideas should be the 1010music forum. I don’t want to discourage folks from posting thoughts, ideas, and answers to other questions about the 1010music products in places like this, because not all of our current or prospective users may be on the forum – it’s just that I lurk in places like this in my off (and occasionally on) hours and can miss stuff that we may want to know about.)

6 Likes

Happy to hear you keep tabs on these requests!
I was waiting for no less from 1010music.
The forum feels kind of dead for the Razzmatazz.
I’m no programmer at all, but I have a feeling there are a couple of low hanging fruits that could make this box even better!

1 Like

Exploring the new 1010 nanobox tangerine, I’m also using the razzmatazz more now. They make quite the pair. However, one thing I’m really missing from the blackbox in terms of sequencer, is the option to launch multiple patterns for absolute polyrythym, asynchronous rhythm mayhem.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the razzmatazz has a more traditional one pattern at a time, Elektron-kind of approach, right? Just casually gonna ping @KF6GPE here as well, to get his attention :smirk: sorry mate :pray:

2 Likes

No worries. I haven’t gone to bed yet.

Yeah, you’re right — the razzmatazz sequencer is a sixteen-pattern sequencer, with each sequence (pattern) supporting up to 128 steps (although each sequence can have a different number of steps). It’s still one sequence at a time — you can’t have multiple patterns running at once, unfortunately. I’ve only used an Electron sequencer a few times, but I believe they’re essentially similar in terms of what they offer.

I’m all about the crazy polyrhythms too!

4 Likes

Thanks man :pray: I did hook up the razz to the blackbox yesterday just to try out some sequencing wildness, and it works really well. Got the bottom eight pads assigned to the razzmatazz and the top eight for blackbox loops and stuff. Somehow, it would feel overkill to use the bbox only for sequencing if I bring the tangerine into the mix, but I like the idea of working with just the razz and the tangerine and not involve anything else. I might have to find a way around the pattern structure of the razz to go into my polychaoticrhythmstuff-ish. I mean, there’s always just sampling loops into the tangerine and build something directly in there, Roland SP style.

1 Like

You bet. You’ve probably thought about it, but you could resample a bunch of different step length loops from the razz into the tangerine, then use trigger those loops on the tangerine and play more odd-lengt sequences or or finger drum on the razz. I haven’t tried that, but between the two of them and the bluebox or the TX-6/TP-7 you could capture it all. (Wearing my 1010 hat, I’d say go for the bluebox for this. Wearing my hipster music-creator-in-a-cafe-hat, since you’ve already got the TE gear, I’d say maybe try that first? :slight_smile: ).

3 Likes

Actually, I’m back on the bluebox, doing the very thing you suggest :slightly_smiling_face: funny enough, after some time with the TE stuff, once back on the bluebox, you realise how powerful it is, how good it sounds and how it just does everything you expect from such a kit. The charming compromises of TE gear face some stiff competition when you just want to get the job done, 1010 style.

4 Likes