1010music Blackbox

Sounds great!:+1:

i had some annoying timing issues when sequencing the blackbox from my digitone. sampling would be off by about 50-100ms which made quantized sampling almost useless to me(first kick would cut out etc).

Not good. I was gonna try sequencing some Blackbox long loops from the Pyramid, because it’s a PITA getting it right in the Blackbox. So I hope it’s more an issue with your DT than the Blackbox :slight_smile:
I’m reinvigorating my SkinnyPuppy aspirations :new_moon_with_face:

That sucks, how was the midi set up, assuming DT was master sending clock ?

I sent clock from DN and used one of its midi tracks to sequence a slice sample pad on the BB. The idea was to resample a bunch of drum loops for live arranging and processing but since quantized recording always came out slightly off I had to record unquantized and manually trim clips which made that workflow impossible. User error on my part is certainly a possibility. I tried to look for solutions on the official forum but I didn’t investigate the issue much further because I realized I didn’t like working with the BB and I also didn’t have a strong use case for it so I sold it.

1 Like

Ok, thanx will certain test that and see how it works, will report back once i’v tested it!

1 Like

Kind of disappointing that the BlackBox user forum is like a ghost town… :slight_smile: lol

It is but you will usually get a pretty prompt reply from Aaron who works for 1010.

1 Like

Got my BlackBox today and I’m really amazed what this little box can do!! Such a great addition to my Digitakt and Digitone!

Love the fact that it has 3 stere outputs, in addition to the main output! This way i can route pads thru the output 1 to Digitone/Bigsky and for output 2 i route pads thru the Digitakt and the Analog Heat MK II.

I have two questions for you blackbox owners. I’m thinking about getting one and use it mainly as a 16 track loop recorder.

  1. Can i record a 4 bar loop on one pad and record a 2 minute segment on another pad?
  2. How is the recording process, can i record a loop and quickly delete it and record a new one if i made a mistake?
    Thanks in advance!

Well being a long time owner since yesterday… :slight_smile:

Here are my takes, someone please correct me if im wrong.

  1. Yes you can, in your case i think the loop should be treated as a clip (which can be quantized and playback is based on the internal clock) the segments can be recorded as a sample.

I highly recommend watching these tutorials to get a better idea of what a sample vs clip means to the BlackBox

  1. It’s straight forward, you press record and then stop, if you not happy you just press new recording.

On a sidenote

There are some differences in terms of UI between the different firmwares, im running the latest stable 1.5 and it looks different to the previous version and to the new beta. So it can be a little confusing watching tutorials if you have a different fw version. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you very much! That sounds very good.

1 Like

Question regarding the outputs.

Is it possible to get 6 outputs with panning an 1/8ā€ -> Dual 1/4ā€ cables?

Yes and even better. You can send ā€œa Padā€ either to OUT1 (Stereo) or to OUT1L, so you don’t have to pan, you can just use them as mono outputs.

4 Likes

Sweeeet! Even easier

Was also curious. I had the original bit box and can’t remember but if you record a new loop will it automatically sync future loops to the first one as far as tempo?

If I remember correctly if I set it to record a certain amount of bars it would sync but will they sync with a custom bar length for the first loop?

As I am quite simple there, and only use bar factor2 barlengths for it and am working with clips all the time, that have a length that matches bar length, and those sync perfectly. If you start a clip, it starts with the next bar and loops with that. I don’t know if you can do poly/pararythm stuff with it, as my brain does not work good with it outside of simple hihat patterns :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I gave the new firmware a go last night. Finally, polyphony works like it should. No cracks, pops and stuff and decent voice stealing implemented now, though it still doesn’t hold up for a frantic classic sonata :slight_smile:

Auto sampling is pretty fantastic as well. While it does seem like the Blackbox picks its roadmap from the MPC playbook, it can hardly be faulted for being inspired by one of the greatest legacies in the history of samplers.

I did encounter a bug, where there was a substantial midi delay from my Keystep to the Blackbox from time to time, in relation to voice stealing. However, as the firmware is still being updated with fixes before it’s an official 1.6 it’s not a big deal. Knowing 1010, it might even be fixed as I’m writing this.

5 Likes

I just got the blackbox and here it works well as a midi slave getting clock from the model:samples via midi on the new firmware. But i only used it as a 16 track looper so far. If it keeps playing steady like that i’m very happy. Almost got the electro-harmonix 95000 looper but the blackbox has more tracks and can do synced recording which is lovely. Controlling it with the Novation Launch Control XL is great too. Wasn’t expecting to find the missing piece in my studio setup so soon. Of course Ableton can do all that but i try to stay away from a mouse.

edit after another hour:
:heart_eyes: Man, i love the feeling of these knobs. They’re perfect for editing. Now i just got to find a way to install them into my Digitakt. :thinking:

1 Like

Just recently got mine too and im really impressed by the speed and ease of use!

How do you find the launch control XL with the BB ? Which parameters do you control with it ?

Thanx!