1010music Blackbox

Unfortunately i haven’t found a way to preserve the midi template yet. When i change the sample type the midi mapping for the pad is gone.
But the Novation is great. I use it a lot with the digitakt and it makes both devices feel more like an instrument to me. Good quality faders and knobs.
Right now i’m controlling volume and fiilter for each pad.

1 Like

What exactly is autosampling?

Connect the Bbox to a midi instrument. Say, your fav synth. Dial up a patch you like. Tell the Blackbox to sample that patch from C2 to C6 (for example), and make its own patch of it.

Have a coffee while the Box gets to work :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Is this on v 1.5.0 ?
I can’t find it in the Blackbox or the v1.5 manual.
Can you take a screenshot of it in your Blackbox for me, please?

Actually, can you only see that function if the Blackbox is connected to the midi in of a synth?

It’s in the 1.6 beta, which currently is on 1.5J or something. My version behaves a bit strange, so I’d recommend waiting for the 1.6 release. The entire sample view has changed, to accomodate for this new stuff.

4 Likes

Gotcha. I can wait.
I’ll definitely be getting a fatter SD card and filling it up.
I guess I can rule out the Prophet~X now, but it wouldn’t have fit in my handbag anyway.

1 Like

Mine has been sitting off to the side for a while (working on my studio instead of portable fun rig where the BB resides). I might have to pull it out on the couch once 1.6 drops though. Sounds like an nice update!

You’re like my BB news channel I tune into for info on the current state of BB lol.

I think I’ll make an RSS feed of your posts that prints on my toast every morning in butter.

2 Likes

Haha :slight_smile: I’d love that. That’s very nice of you to say :slight_smile:

Though you might get breaking news soon, I am considering selling it. I stumbled down the monome rabbit hole and can’t find my way out. I just like it too much there.

2 Likes

Do you guys find the Blackbox noisey?

I’m wanting a noodling box for sampling whilst away from the computer as I spend all day working in front of a computer. Had whittled the wishlist down to the BB.

Yesterday spoke to a friend who had one but sold it as found it noisey. We spoke and got me thinking about the MPC Live again. But then that evening I kinda went back to the BB as I want relatively simple sampling fun to kick songs off then work more indepth in AbletonLive.
A MPC Live/One is just overkill.

Not noisey at all. Nor have I ever heard anyone say it is.

If you don’t watch your gain staging when you record stuff into it, you need to crank the volume to get it pumping, which will in itself create some noise. But that’s true for all recording, no matter the platform. Though it’s not as transparent on the Blackbox, you can’t just press record and hope it sets the levels for you when you’re done (like some samplers do).

2 Likes

User error or a defective unit, the noise is simply not there. Of course if you record you’r samples poorly you can get noise, but again user error.

DT normalising can introduce noise, but as long you watch you’r gain it’s good. BB more capable sampling is even better.

I had the Waldorf Streichfett for a short time, the noise floor was terrible the tail sounded like a poorly recorded sample. Simply unacceptable.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like maybe a defective unit or maybe bad power supply then :slight_smile:

You just got me another step closer to getting one btw.

I’m planning on pairing it with an SC1000 I got from Portablismgear so i’ve a sampling and scratching portable setup.

Also thinking about starting a little Eurorack skiff for external effects for the BB.

Will keep you’s posted :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I have not used my BB for ages due to focusing on other stuff, really looking forward to what the update offers though and it got me to thinking (oh no!) :laughing:

It should be possible to use a pattern in SEQ mode as a kind of Cubase/Ableton arranger for samples/stems right? Given that SEQ length can be up to 128 steps, and steps can be upto 8 bars(?) each IIRC. So each cell in a pattern could play a clip/loop/stem, right? Allowing a basic structure to be built in one SEQ slot, then the other 15 could be used for regular patterns or what have you.

Has anyone tried it?

A quick test reveals the above may work, could be interesting…

As the 1010music-forum is practically dead, a question here:

Say I record an 8 bar loop, but I only want to use the last 7 bars (so cut off the first one). How do I know where to put the start pointer, so that there will be exactly 7 bars left? In daws like Ableton there are grids and markers that make editing a breeze, but I havent figured out how to do that in sample mode on the BB.

My bandmate has a black box but I haven’t messed with it in a while. Is there a way to slice to grid? Say slice to 8 slices and then just remove anything before the start of the second slice. If anything it’d show you where the bar starts were

1 Like

Yeah, that sounds like a good workaround, thx!

Really would like some kind of precision feature in sample mode, though

1 Like

Has anyone tried the Bitbox and Toolbox Euro rack modules from 1010 Music?

These two combined come in at over double the cost of the Blackbox and offer a lot less functionality - to start with : song mode.

Still kind of tempted.

Check the PSU.
At first mine had an annoying flickering screen, and soon found I had a 500mA PSU supplied with the Blackbox. As usual, suppliers swap out for country specific.
I contacted 1010 and they specified a 2A PSU, which I got and stopped the flickering screen immediately.
I’m guessing, if the wrong PSU can cause screen noise, it can cause noise anywhere in the Blackbox.

Adding. My Blackbox is as quiet as the samples I put in. I’m really impressed at the sound quality.

3 Likes

Both of those modules were earlier releases than the Blackbox. Might be worth looking at the two new Bitboxes instead.