1010music Blackbox

Adjusting the Blackbox filter is absolutely nothing like adjusting the filter in the original synths the samples came from, but it does kind of work, like a crappy tone control. I did a heap of samples again on the weekend because of this, especially Toms and kick which the Blackbox filter crucifies.

But in general, it’s the box I’ve been looking for, for a bloody long time.

1 Like

Anyone using the Blackbox to sequence multiple channels in the Digitone? I’m not interested in the DT sequencer at all, rather just using it as a tone generator.

1 Like

I use it to sequence multiple channels in my Prophet 12. Works very well. And it’s quite powerful, considering the polyrythmic stuff you can do with the Blackbox, as well as the fine (though somewhat cumbersome) control you have over the sustain of each single note. The piano roll window, while painful, is quite efficient to create evolving, polyphonic textures.

I think the filter’s great, but it doesn’t have the characteristic traits for a classic low pass and high pass filter. Well, it operates in kind of the same way, but it doesn’t produce the effects that I think most musicians expect from a filter that says it’s lo pass or hi pass.

I’ve instead decided to look at it as a one knob EQ. If I want to go deeper and muddier, I turn it down. If I want it brighter and higher, I turn it up. For that purpose, it works really well for me and I use it extensively to get my internal mixes as clean as possible in the Blackbox before I go to summing and mastering with external gear.

It has no envelope anyway and no resonance control so…

Exactly, it really is primitive in terms of features and callling it a filter gives it slightly the wrong impression. Honestly, if they’d put it in the mixer section and just called it eq, I’m pretty sure more users would’ve taken to it in a more favourable way.

I really like what it does to the sound, though. For what it does, it’s treat. For what it’s called, it’s not so great :slight_smile:

1 Like

Second that. I really like the “Filter” and its sound, but it won’t replace the filter on a synthesitzer. So no “full open” 303 sampling and than getting the same stuff out of the BB as if you use the 303 Filter.

1 Like

Yep, totally. Overall, the software algoritms for mix, filter and compression are great. Really does lend themselves to the idea of a master section.

1 Like

See they are releasing a bitbox2 which will have more functionality from the blackbox and more.
Then they are bringing some of these extra features to the blackbox.

I’m really lusting over a blackbox at the moment but the bitbox has caught my eye.
I do know that i’d then have to buy a sequencer and some external effects etc to fill a little skiff. Wouldn’t that be a wonderful little sample-skiff though!!!

Hah, ironically, the Norns + Grid platform has solved my entire struggle with creating longer and coherent sets which has been a Blackbox blocker for me, from time to time.

If anyone here uses Norns (I know you’re out there @cold_fashioned ) I’m using the Timber script to create entire sets now. Doing my first ambient show with it soon. Don’t quite dare to trust it with synced beats yet, tho it seems to work just fine in that area, too.

2 Likes

@circuitghost Ha! I’ve been meaning to message you about your norns experience so far. I haven’t checked out timber, but I’ll try to give it a go if it doesn’t require a grid. I’m really curious to hear what you’ve been doing with timber, and the workflow that allows you to create a full set. My work with norns so far is still pretty shallow. I try out different scripts every few days when I have some time. I had a go with “less concepts” the other day that was a lot of fun. I like that you can just record a jam directly to memory (tape) at the end of an exploration session. That, plus battery power, makes it fun to grab at the end of the day while relaxing on the couch (yes, I know, #synthsforcouches). I’m sort of torn on norns. Sometimes, I think it’s an infinite box of wonder, and I want to get a grid to unlock further potential. Other times, I think it’s a distraction that I could easily live without.

1 Like

Yep, I can see that this can be a mixed experience. Timber works with a keyboard (or similar, I guess, a Launchpad or something), but I’m glad I have the Grid as I’m exploring it.

The number of scripts at hand are also somewhat of the challenge with Norns. It’s like the Octatrack. It helps to have some idea of what you want to make, when you approach it. I’ve been trimming down my library of scripts and right now, I’m finding that Timber allows me to assemble existing material in new and interesting ways, which is a good platform for me to proceed.

In the end, I want to find a workflow where Norns can be my tool for composing and sound generation as far a synths go, too. I have a few ideas and will try them once I’ve finished a body of work with Timber. I think that threshold, to actually finish something, is a milestone on learning new gear, so I never give up on anything until I’ve done at least one track with it.

But suffice it to say, Norns + Grid aren’t going anywhere. They’re here to stay in my rig. It’s more a matter of if they can replace all my other stuff, or if I’ll still keep both the Prophet and the Blackbox as well. We’ll see.

1 Like

If you replaced things like the blackbox / prophet (mainly prophet), do you feel like you’d be lacking sources for the norns/timber to work on? Or, do you already have a really deep library of samples, loops, songs, etc.? I’m glad to hear about your success with norns/grid. To your point likening it to OT, I am definitely approaching norns somewhat aimlessly at the moment. I shouldn’t be surprised that my results are a mixed bag. Cheers!

I should adopt this. It seems like a great methodology, and should prevent frivolous gear swapping. I’m already slowing down on that front in 2020.

I suppose we’re getting off-topic though, aren’t we?

Lastly I found that I only used the BB as a sample recorder and as a sample/loop player as well.

Also since Overbridge release, it is no longer sampling my Elektrons. It is hanging by a thread.

Looking to replace it by a Tracker (performance options and sample mangling/playback looking infinitely more fun) and/or a Deluge for streaming long stems/samples/loops from SD with better effects/sound design…

I wonder why you chose to keep the BB over the Deluge @circuitghost, curious to hear your take on your experience with it…

1 Like

I also go by the same principles even sometimes I even re-buy older gear I once had because I had nostalgia of the track(s) made with it at the time…

Oh man, the Deluge was just too much of an interface mess. It could do so much, it got lost in its own awesomeness. I struggled to finish things with it because not much felt fluent or obvious, it was frequently like “How do I slice samples again? And how did p-locking work?”

I did also feel its sound was slightly compact, a bit crammed for headroom. But people tell me I’m wrong there, so I don’t know :slight_smile:

I like the Blackbox just because it doesn’t do all that much, but it all fits together and it’s streamlined to make it all work quickly and fluently. It’s a very defined instrument. The Deluge is like everything, but with hardware not designed for it.

5 Likes

Nah, not so deep, but I like the character of the Norns synths and when I use the Prophet, I go for these broken, dusty sounding stuff anyway. Norns is good at that.

I might be missing that wide soundscape that’s typical Sequential, it just sounds so spacious with very little effort. But I’m getting pretty close with the Norns as well, Molly and Moln are two solid synths. I’ll have to use the results in a mix and see how it feels at that point.

But yeah, off topic, as you say :slight_smile:

Can anybody tell me how the blackbox “pattern” structure is in relation to elektron’s? and how they go together? is it possible to change patterns on an elektron device an let the blackbox change “patterns” (or whatever it is called in there) follow?

I am interested in a blackbox, but this issue is the reason I got rid of the squarp pyramid. awesome sequencer! but the structure was too different from elektron which made it too confusion (for me) to quickly change songs…

Do not have any experience with the BB but I’m intrigued by it and plan to pick one up next week.

My main idea is to use the BB for midi and now be able to utilize all the midi tracks on the Digitakt and Digitone on a single box. If I’m not misstaken the BB can assign a midi channel to each pad. The stereo sampling and multiple stereo outputs is also very attractive as i can route pads to an output to like an outboard effect etc.

Sure can.
I take the sequences I make in the Blackbox and when I get home they’re assigned the synths the samples came from. It’s perfect. I can compose anywhere!

1 Like