1010music Blackbox

Oh, you flatter. I’m not. But thanks for saying :blush:

I made another vid to go with this. I’m aiming for some kind of place that’s familiar yet feels alien, like a haunt of sorts. I’m figuring it might be a theme to bind all this together, see where it goes.

2 Likes

Anyone using this alongside external effects like guitar pedals? I’m thinking I could take one of the stereo outs, run them into my pedal chain and then back into the input.

I’d have to disable monitoring on the BB, which means I’d need some way to model what the pedals are outputting, but I suppose I could stick something in the chain that would let me do that.

This seems like it would be viable, but real world experience trumps my theoretical buildout.

You want to keep monitoring enabled on the BB. But make sure your monitor signal is not going to the same output as your dry signal that’s being sent to the pedal.

Output 1: Monitor
Output 2: Dry send to pedal

Any pad you want to go to the pedal, set its output to 2.

I like to use output 2 or 3 for my dry send, because it’s not the default output for a new pad and therefore will never accidentally create a feedback loop unless I explicitly change it to that output.

2 Likes

I took a quick look at going directly to a Strymon Timeline, to mixer, but the signal was to high. Clipped like mad. Sounds far better having effects in the mixers loop.

1 Like

Ahh, good catch. Forgot about the Eurorack volume mismatch.

Thinking of getting one of these as a companion to my DT & MNM setup. Hoping to use it as a way to record sequences from both machines, and some longer noodling.

Would the blackbox be something that can fulfill my desired usage?

I’ve read the manual and the QuickStart guide but it would be nice to have some actual users chime in. Not looking to ditch the DT either.

Also How closed to being a finished machine is the blackbox?

Their forum seems to have a good amount of people vocal about missing things. Not that the things I read about are super important or dealbreakers for my proposed usage but I don’t really want to purchase a beta instrument.

Thanks in advance for input.

I just bought one. I bought it as a sample player form Drums, and I now am checking for Drum Machines, as all I do is sample loops/riffs from my Synths and mangle them on the BB :slight_smile: and I want to save space, by letting something different play drums.
BB changed my way of creating music totally…

I would check the available features of the machine and define for yourself if it is finished. I am currently on 1.4.3 (latest stable) and I am totally fine. I tried the beta, but there seems to be an issue with MIDI currently. It brings better file organsation that would be great, but not a big deal to live without for the next weeks.
I think it does not make sense to buy a machine with a defines feature set and then go to whatever platform you like and rant about missing features.

You have to use the touch screen, I was not sure if I like it, but its okay. Typing text on the little keyboard on the screen is easier than I thought.
Working on the sequencer by using the screen is not optimal (for me). Placing the notes, where they should be is worse than on the bigger MPC screen. You can “live play” stuff on the Piano-Keyboard or playing the tracks by hitting the virtual pads does work, but for someone who is into real piano playing or into fingerdrumming, I would add a keyboard and/or pads.

All depends. The sequencer is very much its own beast, and does a few things many don’t and ignores lots of stuff that you might think is mandatory. So it all depends on what you’re after.

Which is true for the idea of the Blackbox not being finished. It is a finished product. It has been for some time. But you might want something it doesn’t do. Tell us what you want and we’ll see if we can help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyone testing 1.5.x BETA currently? I have the issue, that the Blackbox does not recieve MIDI anymore. Do I miss a setting, or is it plain broken in that version? As soon as I roll back to 1.4.3 MIDI is working great again.

1 Like

Im running 1.5 currently, my midi has been working, but i did have a project randomly empty, after i had saved and shut off/turned on several times

The only thing missing for myself is a filter which it doesn’t seem to have but ultimately I can live without. Other than that I like the feature set, that is currently available on the machine.
Browsing their forum makes me feel like there is a long list of to do’s that users are requesting. Giving the appearance of an unfinished instrument.

But ultimately I want to mainly be able to record the patterns from my dt and mnm and sequenc them as loops on the blackbox and maybe a little mangling here and there. Seems like I can do that from reading the manual but users experience on doing that is helpful for me for making a decision.

Like if feedback is “yeah it can do that but it’s not intuitive or easy” I’m going to continue digging elsewhere.

Every Track has a Filter. It is neutral at 0 and goes up for HP and down for LP. It has no resonance.
I struggled with getting the BB because of the missing Resonce, but currently I am quite fine with it the way it is!

I find the device highly intuitive btw.

Take a look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T35StPF9y6Q
It seems, that you want to do exactly what he is presenting there. There you can also see the workflow

1 Like

Thanks for the link and the input, I’m gonna check the video out right now. Much appreciated.

That’s exactly how I use it all the time. Record loops, do shit with them within the Blackbox - filtering, fx, pitching, stretching, beat slicing, sequencing, reversing, resampling - and then build songs from that.

I’ve made a number of tracks on it since it came out, and a few of them I’ve gone ahead and released. For what you’re describing, it’s perfect.

1 Like

As far as users on the 1010 forum go, everyone wants more, myself included.

I don’t want the BBox missing anything when it comes to making tracks that sound great, are live friendly and allow for experimentation when that kind of lightning strikes

Myself, for my workflow, I’d greatly appreciate more than sixteen slots for samples, sequences and song sections. I can make a song on the Blackbox but I can’t make a set, because of this.

Others will want for other things, but that’s on us, not the instrument. It’s not unfinished like the Tempest or the Electribes were at early launch. But it’s focused, which might mean that features critical for you, aren’t there and never will be.

2 Likes

Your input has been super helpful so far. Also Good to hear I’m looking in the right place for what I want to do.

1 Like

Beautiful

1 Like

Thanks, no worries, just reach out if you want to know more :slight_smile:

Thank you :slight_smile: