So where are we now? Best drum machine to compliment AK/A4 for live - your experiences?

Hi Folks,

So I know the default answer is RYTM or Octatrack, but anyone got any wisdom to share in terms of which drum machines, or samplers used as drum machines, that work well for live performance in conjunction with an AK?

I have a Roland R8 but find it a bit clunky to interact with on the fly. So I am looking to pull the trigger on something, but my main concern is dealing with pattern changes on the AK and managing corresponding patterns on a drum machine or sampler - any viable alternatives to Elektron gear? I guess CV is a bit of a limitation… ho hum…

Cheers!

You forgot machinedrum !
I feel like A4 and MD complete each other very well.
OT is a very good idea though.

What about TT-606 ?

5 Likes

Ooohh… interesting!

No pattern change via midi on TT606.

I recommend MD.

4 Likes

Your AK can do excellent drums, if you can spare a track.

2 Likes

Nord drums are super fun to use with the c.v. outputs!

5 Likes

Yeah so I guess I was thinking of something currently in production, but I wouldnt be against the MD if I can find one at a compelling price.

I basically always use Track 1 for drums and sometimes sneak a few beats in where I can on the other tracks too.

Have thought about the Nord, its definitely an option but how does it work; do you trigger individual beats on it via cv or whole patterns?

Maybe I should be looking at this the other way around - use two tracks on the AK to get the rythms I want and maybe get something for bass or other synth bits…

Still want to know what peoples best combos are though.

When I added a drum machine instead of just relying on the a4, I found myself loving the extra voices available. I use the rytm but honestly only find some of the synths useful and still like beats on the a4 better. It’s nice to put the a4 through the rytm so that they share a compressor, but I have to boost it first, which blows. Have considered a second a4 but want to diversify my palette. I’m sticking with rytm though since I already know how to use it and figure it will grow with me.
The tr8 is super immediate and I think there’s a line through so you might be able to share a compressor there, not sure. The sound is a little bright to my ears but nothing’s perfect.
Tanzbar is solid too but I only pay that kind of money for elektron gear.
If Roland re releases an 808 and it sounds good, I might jump on it.

What about sampling the A4 in OT and start from here ?
Add a few samples if you want to expand territory. OT is many in one box, would also add extra LFOs and mangling craziness… I don’t get tired of this box.
And OT through A4 filters is something pretty cool as well.
MD or OT would be my choice. MD if you want crazy and different synthesis. OT if you want extra voices, different FX, add sample based atmospheres…
Both are susceptible to add a wide palette of sounds A4 can’t dream of.

I have an Ot and a Blofeld and wanted analog synthesis for synth and drums (instead of downloaded samples) , sampled in Ot. I hesitated with AR, Pulse 2, and came to A4, with more synthesis capabilities, and a very modern control.

Really don’t know Md, but heard Ot crazy fans still with it.

Ot is much more than a drum machine.

Missed if mentioned but you really have to consider Tempest. Really different approach.

Vermona Drm1, really simple.

4 Monotrons.

An iPad.

A Galaxy Note 7. Explosive kicks.

1 Like

Honestly I hate using the OT as a drum machine. I use it for triggering vocal samples and as a soundscape creation tool mostly. The Machinedrum is my go to for drums. I have been looking at the RYTM but need some time to save up for it. I wouldn’t be replacing the MD but I have been looking for more live performance options and the MD is a little lacking in that area. Any specific gripes about the RYTM or just looking to see if anything better has hit the market?

1 Like

? I know a Md / Ot / Ar user who told me he really liked tweaking Md live, for dub / breakcore stuff, with performance knobs…

I mean… The drum brute looks pretty satisfying.

I don’t think so.
First Fn+knob and instant reload are insane to get performance-like feel.
The good old LP and HP filters are hard coded :smiley:

You also can dedicate a track for CTL-AL and work on the 16 steps to get 16 different macros. Then unmute and mute to activate them, and reload to get back to your feet.
And resampling can get you pretty far in terms of sick transitions…
No, MD is pretty capable in term of live performance !
And I love its compact sound.

3 Likes

I’m curious, how come you don’t like the OT for drums? I’m using it more this way lately and really enjoying it.

My A4 just loves sitting and playing with my tempest. It my “go to” combo and I’ve got plenty of other gear to mix and match. They compliment each other like chalk and cheese, and that what you want, imo. Having to similar sounds, sounds boring to me. They both can do instance pattern switching and both have good live performance controls. You can run the T into the A4 for effects and use the A4 cv outs to control the T cv/pedal ins, wild stuff. They can both do drums and synths and who can fault 10 voices of analog?

3 Likes

So can any of these send or receive pattern change with the AK/A4?

The Elektrons can.
The TT-606 cannot.
Tempest - you’ll have to use Google for that.

1 Like

A4 + Tempest sounds like a good combo.

I’ve been spending a lot of time making tracks with the A4 only. I really like for drums and I’m been finding a few useful tutorials on youtube for percussion synthesis on the A4. I’m somewhat curious about the DrumBrute myself, but I kind of want sampling for a variety of reasons.

I had and sold an Electribe Sampler (new one). Honestly I think I am just going to go back to that when I have the cash. I’m sure I’d love an Octa or RYTM, but they just aren’t in the cards right now financially (was lucky I made it all work out so I could keep the A4).

I had an ESX for a long, long time as my only piece of hardware and feel like the new Electribes brought along everything I loved about all the old ones and then some. I’d also love to through an ER-1 MKII into the mix again. Certainly not a bread and butter drum machine but can do some awesomely whacky stuff and I love, love, love its kick drums. Its like a digital 808 that sounds great.