So where are we now? Best drum machine to compliment AK/A4 for live - your experiences?

Every tool is a weapon, if you hold it right.

This is certainly my favorite Dataline track to date.

No program change capability, though.

3 Likes

yeah thanks all.

I actually like the sound and look of the TT606 just for what it isā€¦

Iā€™ve had a good look at the Tempest in the past and essentially, yes itā€™s really good, especially with latest OS update, but for that money I might as well go for an Elektron if I know itā€™s gonna work.

Iā€™ve had a play with with volca sampler and itā€™s quite a good little box, but I simply find it too awkward to use, too small for my big fingers. Shame.

I highly recommend the MD as an A4/AK companion.

It is a nice contrast in timbre and tone. And it will give you some MIDI LFOs that you can pipe into AK to take AK synthesis even further.

Sure it is lacking the micro timing and the trig conditions, and the poly rhythms, and direct jump that the AR has. But I have found that (with a pair of Elektrons,) as long as one of the two paired instruments has these features, itā€™s not a big deal (especially since A4 can also do some drums, if you need polyrhythms in your drums).
For this reason, I also pair my MM with AR.

With its own freely assignable LFOs, it can be quite the platform for exploration. And with the assignable outputs, you can be selective about which voices to send to AKā€™s external inputs for a different flavor of delay and reverb.
With its own input machines, you can send a voice out of AK, into the MD for some p-locked digital mangling / crushing.

Together, the pair is greater than the sum of its parts.

If price is a concern, Iā€™m actually referring to the non-UW MD.
That is the one I own and have paired with my A4, and I am more than happy with its capabilities.

7 Likes

I REALLY love the sound of an A4/AK + MD combined. From my perspective, the A4 portrays the emotional and warmth element of a track and the MD presents a colder and more cerebral element of it. Given rhythm is, to me, a more thinky element of music(Iā€™m sure some will argue with me on thisā€¦but just my perception) I feel this works great!

HOWEVER, thereā€™s definitely a workflow perk to using an OT. You load various rhythm samples and you can apply them linearly. You can have a kick sample and snare sample on one track and hihats on the other. Fill in various other tracks with whatever, and youā€™re good to go! The AR you could do the same with samples I suppose, but youā€™ll have to deal with missing half of the machines capabilities, and the other voices you wonā€™t have the ability to do as much with samples as the other. But the AR has OBā€¦so thereā€™s that.

Sorry, kinda got lost thinking out loud. But the MD sounds great, the OT sounds great. The tracks where I combine the A4 and AR are probably my least favorite due to the lack of contrast in the sounds though. Those are my thoughts.

4 Likes

I vote aswell for the octatrack , i wish i had mine earlier.

I Love my TR-8 together with my A4. When having a complex synth I like to have a simple but effective drum machineā€¦ ā€¦Which the TR-8 is.

Also TR-8 sounds great when processed thru a synth channel on the A4

2 Likes

Hi, I also use this combo, but have never run the CV outs to my Tempest. I remember reading that you canā€™t send too high a voltage to the Tempest. What value ranges do you use when sending CV to the Tempest?

Cheers!

I use those but they just donā€™t compare to the Perf mode, Scenes, and Fill triggers in the RYTM. I like the level of planned chaos they seem to bring while something like the the CTL-AL I end up with more random results. They are usually cool but not appropriate for every song. I certainly would not be getting rid of my MD for a RYTM that is for sure. If/When I end up with a RYTM I will likely be running the MD through the inputs of the RYTM to take advantage of its effects.

I mean I use mine for drums from time to time and sometimes samples just sound more right for a given track than the synth drums from my Machinedrum. I think part of the reason I donā€™t like using the OT for drums is the lack of tracks. I am fully aware of p-locking multiple samples on a track but my workflow leads me to using a lot of tracks without having to think too much about how to combine two or more parts on a single track. I had the MD before the OT so I guess I may just be spoiled by having 16 dedicated tracks and going on an exploration in sound looking for the right mix of drums for the current project. I tend to use around 10 to 12 tracks and sometimes scale back to around 8. Either way I wouldnā€™t be able to try out different ideas all on the same pattern without losing something on the OT. I still would need free tracks for non drum samples on top of that. I also very much enjoy the direct controls the MD and RYTM give specifically for drum synthesis (this is also deeply rooted in me thanks to my first drum machine the Korg ER-1). The OT is limited to generic sample manipulation options. Setting something like the decay on a synth drum kick versus a sample of a synth drum kick will have different results for example.

one of my favourite elektron videos

No effects on rytm for external audio, only compressor.

1 Like

My mind is stuck in the Analog Keys workflow. You can still sacrifice a synth track and use the inputs as a sound source to pass through the filter and FX right?

Yes indeed. I confirm.

I dont think this is possible on the rytm, but defer to the more knowledgable on the forum. Possible on keys / four.

and if you donā€™t need an analog filter you donā€™t even have to sacrifice a synth track to use fx on an external sound :slight_smile:

pro-tip:
The use of the digital lo/hi pass filters in each effect offers a lot of possibilities EG if you sacrifice the delay:
-set delaylevel on ext in to max, then you have filters for your external sound on the delay-page, while still having the 4 synth tracks available.
Doesnā€™t have to be the delay, can do this on other effect instead :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok, I didnā€™t get the questionā€¦
On AR you canā€™t use the input as an oscillator.
I thought you were talking about the A4/Kā€¦

Man, if you COULD though <3

Sorry, I didnā€™t get your answer ! :smile:
You mean you could use the input in AR as an OSC ?

Tittle should be complement instead of compliment no ?
Anyway a A4 complement should be a compliment. :confused:

Yeah, I meant that. I donā€™t understand the rest of what you meant though :confused:

Iā€™m french, so I doubt if the tittle was on purpose, a mistake or a play on wordsā€¦

Compliment
A compliment, with an i, is a kind or flattering remark. If a friend says he likes your new shoes, heā€™s giving you a compliment. Heā€™s complimenting you.

Complement
A complement, with an e, is a full crew or a set, and when something complements something else, it means they go well together. You might talk about a picture frame that complements a photo or the crew complement needed to operate a ship.

2 Likes