Red MDuw, now +Drive!

Congrats Ryan.

1 Like

Thanks. You inspired me!

I inspired you to spend your money. Great!

1 Like

Remember I said I never use the sampling. Also suggested to find a +drive from China. :blush:

1 Like

Granted, you didn’t really have your work cut out for you. Spend money?! On music? Whoa now! Don’t twist my arm, brother!

1 Like

I’d like to try out those free sample packs off Elektron for the MDUW. Also, I want to make percussion kits from coffee cups, and bottles. Can you imagine how quickly the Octatrack voices are depleted assembling a free-form kit?! Very quickly. If I’m trying to arrange sets for performances, I’d drill through the OT Parts WAY too quickly, and it will be nice to have the a more universal range for the MD instead of relying solely on drum synthesis. (I’m spectacular at rationalization)

2 Likes

No idea about the OT mine is a doorstop.

Once the samples are IN the OT it’s very powerful, fun, and liberating. Getting them in there is the pain. The OT has dropped bottom of my love list(from the top) because, lately, I’m preferring the immediacy of their other units. You just turn it on and jam on.

In my opinion, loading musical samples into the OT seems like a waste of it’s potential. I have a vast love for miscellaneous sounds and there doesn’t seem to be a better piece of gear for making music out of any given sound.

are you speaking about loading Slot List?
Do it once and default it

No, that parts fairly straightforward. No more a chore than assigning machines into the MD. Just recording, preparing, and loading the samples into the OT via USB/Computer connection. It’s just a large detour from making music.

Any tips for preparing samples? I was planning on recording them in Maschine and having Maschine normalize them.

1 Like

Really?
Are you aware how long would take to upload 46/48 samples to MD with TurboMidi 10x ?
At least 10 minutes…

(of course it depends by sample lengths…but not comparable to usb transfer…)

1 Like

I’m aware it will take a while to get the samples into the MDUW. Those are kits, though. That and C6 will probably give me an excuse to hardly ever try to load samples in there. Just, once every six months, do a recording random percussive sounds and do a bulk transfer. Let the OT deal only with musical sampling elements

With almost 30GB of samples on the card, I barely load any new samples… I do some cleaning once in a while, that’s all.
Now I prefer sampling directly sounds and loops from my other gear, while jamming…
Lot more fun :smile:

1 Like

Hmm. I’m not seeing the benefit of recording my other instruments into the OT. Please sell me on how awesome it is. I don’t see how you’re getting an additional element to the sound. I mean, you can add effects to it, and LFO. What does one gain by doing that?

Thanks

MELTING !!!
MwahahHAHAha !!

For instance, I record a MIDI sequence with CC driving a little Volca.
Then I record the audio, OP1 spirit…
(Repeat + switch gear)

The week after, when I’m at my friend’s place with my OT…
We’re having fun, jamming like it will never stop…
Something is rising…
And BANG !
My magic Volca FM Animal Collective loop in his face !!!

He’s mean, he brings it on another level : I destroy the loop with great OT pawa while fetching another one :smiley:

Seen ?

1 Like

Congrats brotherman! I regretted selling mine and just picked a new one up from JRRshop.com. They have a few of the last batch in stock for $999

For anyone reading this and feeling nostalgic:

https://www.jrrshop.com/elektron-machinedrum-sps-1uw-mkii

1 Like

Damn! Where were you earlier?! :smiley:

I think I’m about to flip my MD-non UW. Very convenient timing I must say. After I powered it up to take a picture to prove that unit does, in fact, work. I played around with it a little bit. I love the mellow electronic sounds of the TRX engines, so I went with that. Tried to experiment more with the sounds instead of keeping the sounds as is(or as are?) Made the mellow aggressive. Damn I love this drum machine. It’s SO MUCH FUN. Props to everyone who owns one. Damn well worth it. Happy to be upgrading to the penultimate version of this wonderful machine.

I thought you said you ordered a MDUW+, though?

1 Like