Issue with sampling

Hello there,

I’m new to the Octatrack, I have managed to record some audio from you tube, without any issues. I could audition the sample by pressing the Sample Trig of the corresponding track. However something awful happens as I place a track trig to audition the track in the context of my sequence; the sample is overwritten, just by pressing the play button? why is this? Is there any place I can deactivate this counter intuitive behavior?

Thank you!

-Gina.

Make sure you are setting a playback trig and not a record trig. If you are in the recorder setup pages (either of them) then setting a trig will set a record trig, which will, yes, overwrite the sample.

If you exit out of the recorder setup, the trig you toggle will be a playback trig.

2 Likes

You can also save your sample (Fn+Bank in REC SETUP 1), and edit it after if needed.
There no auto-save, if you record again with the same recorder, or if you turn off the Octatrack, the recording is lost.
Happy sampling to you. :content:

3 Likes

Thank you for the quick response Basenead, but that isn’t working, I’m setting up the trig while having the recording set up pages closed, and after I recorded the sample, but I am getting the same behavior, also, keep in mind that there is no record button being pressed at the time, by only pressing the play button the sample gets rewritten.

Is there a tutorial somewhere? I did the one posted in the Electron You Tube Page and it doesn’t work for me.

Thank you again,

Sezare, I tryed your advice saved the track, press play, and the sample got rewritten.

It has been hour of this, this is really something, hu?

I think I got it! there was a random recording trig at the end of the sequence, which I wasn’t aware of! thank you!

4 Likes

the octa can be weird like that. give it plenty of time and patience and it will reward you

2 Likes

When you save a sample, you have 3 assign choices.
You can choose ASSIGN TO FREE FLEX (or STATIC), and select that sample in the Sample Slot list. Then normally it is safe.

Your saved samples are normally saved in the AUDIO folder on the CF card.
You can also select “project folder” in the Personalize menu.
You will have to know how to find them ! :wink:

I thought I had it :expressionless:

I didn’t. If any of you can point me to a tutorial I will appreciate it, I have lost two days like this, I want to start to do music.

Thank you,

Gina,

It takes a little time to feel comfortable with Octatrack to use it as a musical intrument.
You can start with those Elektron Tutorials :
Have a lot of fun ! :innocent:
Manual sampling is #3.

Thank you very much for taking the time, to look for these tutorials and copying them here.

I have done several of them, and I have done the tutorial 3 step by step at least 10 times, but still get my sample rewritten when pressing the play button, out of the record set up menu, and no triggers activated. I actually left a comment there.

Thanks again.

Welcome aboard!
As others have said the Octatrack is a very deep machine and requires patience and practice to learn. Try not to get frustrated because after the initial confusion and learning how it works, it can reward you with amazing audio tricks. It has many functions and ways to operate and can be quite difficult to understand at first.
Have you seen the sampling tutorial in the manual on pg. 131?
Sometimes it’s best to create a new project or clear the pattern and try again when learning things, so you don’t have sneaky recorder trigs and such lying around…
Hang in there, it’s worth it!

3 Likes

Select your recorder track. If you press FN + REC AB, you will access to RECORDING SETUP1.
Press REC to be in GRID RECORDING mode.

Check if there is a Rec Trig. Remove it if so.

Press Exit to go back to normal mode, to place trigs for sample playback.

Almost 4AM, sleeping time.
I leave you with super Mike ! :grin:
He loves bananas.

1 Like

Have you tried the tutorial from a new blank project?

Thank you, Open Mike,

I think I have to do that, wish me luck :wink:

1 Like

OK, the new project advice proved 100% effective. Thank you everyone, have a nice sleep!:sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Nice, glad you got it sorted…
Always good to start from a fresh clean state when trying things for the first time so there’s no surprises…
After you get the hang of everything you can incorporate into one project…
Happy :elot:ing!

It is possible that a project can become corrupted. It’s rare, but it can happen once in a while.

I had a project, where the OT kept sending midi out on a channel, which was not even activated to do so (as per settings shown in the display). It was frustrating. It took me some time to find out, what the heck made this one external instrument do anything at all, but I couldn’t change the settings to stop it. Creating a new clean project and starting over did it finally.

My experience is that, if the OT acts really strange and weird and even the manual tells us that we should have done everything right, the reason might be a corrupted project. I believe, my issue was generated by switching the OT off without having saved my project manually before and the automatic saving hadn’t got everything right. Now I save tracks, patterns, projects manually from time to time and (knock on wood) since then didn’t run in such problems again :wink:

Sorry to correct you, but on OT you just have to save Projects (and Parts if you use them).

To be more precise, there is a saved state, and a work state, which is autosaved. When you use Reload, the saved state is reloaded. Those 2 states are 2 different files on the card.

I’ve never had a corrupted project issue.

One thing to now, when you use SAVE TO NEW, is that it’s better to SAVE just after, because no save state is created, so you can’t reload.

2 Likes