Saving sample recorded

can some one give me a tip on how to save the samples i record using octatrack so i dont loose them when i turn ir off ?? what is the proccess?? how do i save them ??

Did your octatrack come with a manual? If not, you can find it online. My suggestion is to read the chapter on the audio editor (page 96)!

I tend to use the ‘save and assign’ function when I resample or use sampling in a live situation. If I am creating a sample library I use the ‘save sample copy’ function!

Read the manuals, you’ll have much more fun with your gear!

5 Likes

how do i save and assingn ?

1 Like

An answer in a very recent thread :

3 Likes

thanx man!

1 Like

Yeah, that helped, now I am obsessed about saving any changes to samples, so far so good, but before they were disappearing.

1 Like

Yes it did come with a manual, a fat one!

4 Likes

ugh oh please give me a piece of advice here, too!
there’s still a thing i can’t fully understand: save and assign sample vs save sample copy
what i do:

• track 1 -> flex -> rec buffer -> set inputs -> one time rec trig -> play
  • i have a captured sample now. go to audio editor -> save and assign sample -> name it -> ok.

what i’ve noticed that now that saved sample occupies my recording buffer slot but instead of R1▶︎RECORDING1 there’s R1▶︎MY_GIVEN_NAME. so basically it just renames my recording buffer which is gonna be cleared once i reload project or turn off the OT, as i figured. i obviously need to save sample copy and then manually assign that one. what’s the point in saving sample that way anyway?

thanks

1 Like

You used SAVE AND ASSIGN SAMPLE > ASSIGN TO SELF. The saved sample is loaded in the buffer, but you don’t loose it. Even if you erase it with a new recording, you can reload it with REVERT TO SAVED FILE.
With SAVE ALL RECORDINGS (Fn + Bank in Rec Setup 1), all samples are assigned to self, unfortunately no choice.

SAVE SAMPLE COPY is useful to create another version, but the sample is saved in AUDIO folder* and not assigned. You can use SAVE AND ASSIGN if you want to make a copy and assign it.

I usually use ASSIGN TO FLEX / STATIC.

*You can use PROJECT folder instead (Personalize menu).

6 Likes

@sezare56 you’re my saver man here on this forum, i had no doubt the first answer would be yours :raised_hand: kudos!

yeah, i’d prefer to keep the rec buffers at my disposal rather than occupying them with random snippets so what i want is SAVE AND ASSIGN, clear!

thank you man :wink:

3 Likes

I"m new to the forum and to Octatrack for that matter, but I love it and wish I’d have picked one up years ago. anyway… I’ve been working my way through manual (slowly) and honestly, aside from some quirks I’m not accustom to it seemed to be going pretty smoothly up until about 15 minutes ago that is. So I’ve been sitting in front of it the entire day loading samples into flex machines and just trying piece something together, and all of a sudden all of my samples are gone… I must have hit something or but I can’t for the life of me figure out what. It looks like all my slice bars |||| || are still where they were but I see no waveforms, and the slices seem to be bunched up all together at the end of the track but the the sample is not there at all.

Anyhow I didn’t know where to post this so I apologize if it’s a repost of some kind. I’m using an MK1 with 4 FLEX machines filled with samples from an OP-1. I"m pretty sure I fucked up when I switched the machine off to see if it would reload the samples, although they were already gone before I did that. I feel like I’m fucked… Am I fucked?

Hey, keep calm. I’m sure the experts in this forum will find a solution.
Let’s start with checking your parts. When you started with Part 1 see if you’re still in there or changed to 2, 3 or 4.
After that check Bank. If you change to a new Bank your sampleslots might be empty.

3 Likes

Were your samples only in the recording buffers or did you save and assign them to slots?

Sorry to confirm the bad news but if you neglected to save them from the track recorders/buffers onto your CF card, then yes, they are lost.
If that is the case, your only option is to embrace this as a learning lesson that you must always save your samples immediately if you are happy with the recording. I have learned, then forgotten this lesson twice. I now immediately save after I record, going so far as to stop after every recording to make sure my recording trigs are off/deleted before I do anything else. Then I listen back to the sample by holding down the Track Key and pressing Play. If it’s good, I then name it, and save it to a free sample slot. You can always delete later if you end up changing your mind.

If you in fact did save you samples, you may have accidentally moved your sample if you playing around in the “card tools” area or connected the OT to your laptop and managed your card from there, or, you could possibly have an issue with your CF card.

3 Likes

This may or may not be helpful, but less than two weeks ago I posted pretty much the same thing. Even went as far as to ask if I possibly got a faulty unit. Thankfully (not counting a couple playful barbs), the folks here were very helpful and supportive and more or less talked me off the ledge. I’m still very much a beginner with the OT, so I can’t be much help other than to say it’s a very deep machine with tons of functionality that isn’t always obvious at first. So the price for all that functionality is the possibility of making mistakes. Accidentally went into the wrong bank, pattern, part, etc. I also know everything needs to be properly saved and even that isn’t so obvious a procedure at first…speaking for myself at least.
The good news is there’s so many helpful, experienced users here who are very generous with their time and expertise.
Seriously, all the best getting sorted!

1 Like

Yep they’re gone. I suppose when you’re learning it’s better to get in the habit of going through the process of saving diligently. I probably did one of the other things mentioned above, but like bumbling lumox I am I decided to switch the unit off as I believed I was safe… but the samples were definitely still sitting In the recording buffer. Oh well live and learn I suppose.

Amazing machine though. I’m only a few hours in, and it’s already blown me away. Thanks again for the informative/ encouraging replies… it really speaks to the nature of this forum. I’m sure we’ll run into each other again soon!

Thanks again!

1 Like

Hi, @Oscar3000!

A few things : first, this question has been asked countless times, receiving appropriate answer.
A quick search shows it.
https://www.elektronauts.com/search?context=topic&context_id=39022&q=Saving%20sample&skip_context=true

https://www.elektronauts.com/search?context=topic&context_id=62275&q=Octatrack%20samples%20gone&skip_context=true

If you don’t find the answer you’re looking for, posting in the most appropriate thread avoids scattering/repeating the information.

Secondly, I advise to find the best possible title for a new thread, so that you maximise your chances to have the help you’re looking for.
Looking for a good title helps find the good keywords for above search, btw.

Thirdly, I strongly advise to spend the time required to read the manual, part by part, until you’re familiar with each concept. Reading @Merlin’s “Thoughts on OT” is also highly recommended, especially for your precise problem.

Sorry if my message comes a bit harsh, this is really not my goal but I can’t see a fine way to put all this :tongue:

Be patient with your OT. As convoluted as it seems, with some practice this workflow becomes natural and very efficient.
But you have to reach a good knowledge of the behavior of the machine, that requires a bit of work. Totally worth it, believe me.

2 Likes

Nah no offense taken. I know what a labour intensive, and at times cumbersome task it to keep these Forums organized. I panicked and having spent the entire day in front of the manual and it Octatrack itselfI i suppose I experienced momentary lapse of reason. To be honest I was just trying to confirm what I already knew so o could accept the bitter fact that I had to start from ccratxh.

Fantastic forum btw, I’ve fallen in love with this machine, but at this point it feels as if it’s all dressed up in a sexy leather outfit and I’m tied up on the floor while it’s styletto heels are being ground into my chest… anyhow thanks for relocating my post to somewhere more appropriate! Peace!

2 Likes

Ahaha I like the metaphor:D
Thank you for your understanding!

The manual IMO should be read chapter by chapter, spending the time needed to master each chapter before you start another one.
But manual only tackle the technical aspects, ie the low level functioning of the machine.
Merlin’s document on OT makes it easier to see how all parts work together, and find one’s own workflow.
Especially when it comes to using Parts and saving a state.

For your problem, now

• in which Set are you working on ? Are there samples on the CF card in AUDIO folder ?
  • in which Project are you working on ?
  • do you know how to save on CF card what you’ve just sampled ?

It sounds like you overwrote them with silence,
if you armed all recorders for example.
Changed project / used file manager / power cycle…

Safer is to record 1 by 1, even if you can save all recordings at the same time (assigned to self only, i.e. saved samples are assigned to recording buffers 1-8 slots).

1 Like