Introducing Digitakt

Another option which I hope they include is the ability for the user to momentarily send new pad presses / sample auditions to the headphone out only so the main outs are kept to the main sequencer outputs. At times it mars Cenks otherwise masterful performances.

Officially, no timestretch and no slices. But you can emulate timestretch with lfo on start, use an already sliced sample with equal slice length and use start (120 positions).

I have great hopes for this device. Even if it takes a few months for the soft side to be considered as complete, I believe it will already be much fun to play with !

I’ve been a bit annoyed by some of OT interface, lately.
Parts for instance, but also in/outs levels, switching from audio to midi side… Really look forward to sell it if DT covers the specific perimeter of what I use OT for, ie sample what the other devices play, mangle samples, midi control.
2x2 ins and outs is something I use a lot and will miss, but I’ll make do :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, level monitoring sucks on OT! I often have no idea what volume I’m working at in contrast to other projects or instruments etc…

@Open_Mike has a solution : with the noise gate threshold meter. :wink:

4 Likes

I found the keywords to get some info on this… Seems I should practive a bit with my new configuration to get the right levels…
https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=octatrack%20levels

Anyway, back to topic !
:smiley:

2 Likes

IRig Recorder - audio and video in one app with audio edit - latest v3 has audiobus support and a host of export options.

iRig Recorder by IK Multimedia

1 Like

I check everyday, hoping for a new demo highlighting the “Master” and the midi side of the DT.

5 Likes

Or you could feed the hungry DT with a hand held digital field recorder. :+1:

2 Likes

I had no interest in this thing at first, but now I’m thinking of how sweet it could be combined with my OT, using the eight midi tracks of each to control each other, both sampling each other… almost sounds sexual :relieved:

9 Likes

Tascam PCM Rec Mk2 is free, flexible, and was designed by Chris at Audio Damage.

2 Likes

I hear you that a phone as a field recorder is probably pretty convenient. But, I’d be too loath to give up higher resolution recording on my H4nPro. I depend on the phantom powered XLR inputs and the fact it has an SD card as well. I couldn’t replace all that with a phone easily.

3 Likes

With regard to the pitch of the samples. Will that make the samples play slower/faster and therefore change the pitch (like playing a record slower) or is there some kind of pitchshifting without changing the length of the sample? (For what it’s worth i’d prefer the former)

It speeds/slows sample for pitch, so you’ll be happy :slight_smile: out of curiosity why that preference as opposed to stretching it to maintain length?

In my case, it’s obvious : pitched up helium voices makes my children laugh each time !
Priceless… :smile:

Seriously, I prefer dealing with slowed down lofi artefacts than bad timestretching.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: I feel bad now, like I subconsciously want to give my children twisted nightmares of realities of different voices in the same speed that ‘could’ be real :confused: :wink:

I have issues with bad timestreching algos too :wink: It’s useful with rhythmic/loops stuff tho. And no reason not to just skip those altogether and have good timestreching algos :wink:

You can get 96k mic attachments of different sorts… as to be on topic for field recordings for DT…

I guess advanced timestretching algos are heavy on the CPU. Wonder if MPCs will be as decent as they claimed…
Anyway, even on Ableton I found that you had to play with the markers to get satisfying results, sometimes.
Good old OP1 way is good enough for me ^^

Is there even a super good one yet? I really don’t know. The ones I’ve heard it seems you have to accept and embrace the artifacts as part of the effect… If I listen carefully I notice a subtle loss of fidelity with just them on and no bpm adjustment…

All cool. Love Op1/DT way. Love OT timestrech. Love ableton options. All different tools leading to different choices, all cool :slight_smile: