Introducing Digitakt

It speeds/slows sample for pitch, so you’ll be happy :slight_smile: out of curiosity why that preference as opposed to stretching it to maintain length?

In my case, it’s obvious : pitched up helium voices makes my children laugh each time !
Priceless… :smile:

Seriously, I prefer dealing with slowed down lofi artefacts than bad timestretching.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: I feel bad now, like I subconsciously want to give my children twisted nightmares of realities of different voices in the same speed that ‘could’ be real :confused: :wink:

I have issues with bad timestreching algos too :wink: It’s useful with rhythmic/loops stuff tho. And no reason not to just skip those altogether and have good timestreching algos :wink:

You can get 96k mic attachments of different sorts… as to be on topic for field recordings for DT…

I guess advanced timestretching algos are heavy on the CPU. Wonder if MPCs will be as decent as they claimed…
Anyway, even on Ableton I found that you had to play with the markers to get satisfying results, sometimes.
Good old OP1 way is good enough for me ^^

Is there even a super good one yet? I really don’t know. The ones I’ve heard it seems you have to accept and embrace the artifacts as part of the effect… If I listen carefully I notice a subtle loss of fidelity with just them on and no bpm adjustment…

All cool. Love Op1/DT way. Love OT timestrech. Love ableton options. All different tools leading to different choices, all cool :slight_smile:

Dunno about ‘super good’ one but lots of useable ones :wink: history’s full of artifacts :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll still use it!

1 Like

Totally off topic but now I want to try some major time stretch slowdown through some lofi effects and analog delay, and see if I can make those artifacts shine… :okej:

3 Likes

i saw all the reviews about the digitakt and from what i saw from superbooth its looking pretty cool.
the fast workflow and the global recording will make this machine very fast.
i was sure that im gonna order one but then i saw a very big drawback.
the Digitakt has only 1 stereo output. its ridiculous. the main Elektron “old school” approach is to not or at least you dont have to connect their gear to a computer. the whole idea behind digitakt is that its a stand alone gear. overbridge is an amazing feature but is mostly about recording multi channels to a daw. so in stand alone it is useless. the most fun about drum machine is to connect different sound to different fx pedal,racks. this is where all stand alone drum machine really shines. if i want a drum machine that must have a computer i will choose native instruments maschine any day against the digitakt. its much more deeper. but again the huge minus of maschine is that you must have a computer. and thats way not having at least 4 outputs from the digitakt make it very hard to play stand alone espacillay if you are using outboard fx.
i dont get it, its digital, what the problem to make more outputs???

The problem is that outputs are analogue. :grin:
Several outputs with Overbridge.
https://www.elektronauts.com/uploads/default/original/3X/8/e/8e10162297ca4e8d626b9faa9841073bb7e9dd94.jpg
https://www.elektronauts.com/uploads/default/original/3X/c/1/c1c86ed3a8ca76f7bcf0b2b58337a29935db8ef0.png

1 Like

i know the outputs are analog… but beacuse the whole systm is digital its much easier(cheaper) to route separate output.
i know there are plenty of machine with mono output but as i said elektron gear (all of them) are standalone units. the biggest thing is that you dont have to have computer. its not about creativity. its about the need to work without a computer. i know not everybody work like this but i know a lot of producer the connect fx to samplers and drum machine. and with the digitakt you will have to use computer if you dont want the fx on all the tracks. thats all.
elektron is a premium brand. i know its a entry level product of elektron but i still think that from such an amazing brand i thought they will understand the need.

I was a little let down by the lack of outs but then I thought after pitching, filtering, overdriving, amp enveloping, LFOing, delaying and reverberating a sample… What else do I need to do? Add chorus and compression I guess, but we will see what the “master” section offers.

HI’m not bashing DT - I got one on preorder, but I do think yanosh has a point. What really stands out is the fact that elektron initially promoted the DT as first and foremost a Drum machine with sampling capability - Something like “we know a thing or two about drum machines” yet since Superbooth there have been very little mention of the drum side of things - all the Demo’s have focused on sampling - which while easier/streamlined on DT is not as fully featured as the OT. Initially I was expecting a kind of next gen MD UW. Overbridge integration is cool for sure, but I’m trying to go hardware only as I find laptop/ableton not good for live performance- if I want to record I’ll go direct into my h4n and tweak/master in ableton.
Still it does look great and I hope it hooks up with my OT brilliantly, if not I will flip it for a UW.

yeah… its not only about fx its also about mixing the digitakt in my live mixer. and as we all know its very hard to mix 8 channels together. so anyone who want a real control over the tracks in live situations will have to add a computer… and im saying all this just because otherwise the digitakt looks like an amazing pieace of gear

1 Like

Paul’s Timestretch?
http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/
Not used it but…

4 Likes

Out of interest, does anyone know of a hardware device that can do Paulstretching?

Elektron are evolving.
Things change.

We have to change and evolve too.

With 8 analogue circuits it is cheaper to route 8 ouputs than to have 8 more converters, no ?

1 Like