How are you all recording your gear videos?

I am a bit of a luddite but would like to start recording some videos of my jams. All I want to do is have the usual topdown view of the gear and the audio coming through as crisp as possible. I assume having everything going into a mixer or audio interface, and recording that to the phone (or computer) is the way to go?

What programs or DAWs are everyone recording with? What is the simplest? Right now I have access to Garageband and Reaper. I have iMovie on my iPhone. Can I record straight to that? Could I record directly to the Photos app while recording a video?

Are most people recording directly to Youtube live, or saving the videos and then uploading them?

If a kind person could walk me through the easiest way to do this I would be super grateful!

2 Likes

Here’s a few topics that might interest you and you could certainly follow up if you had some additional questions, I’m sure someone would be glad to expand on specifics that weren’t already covered. I seem to remember that at least the first of these has some pretty good information in it.

Since I don’t do video recordings this is probably the best that I can do to help but hopefully at least the first link is somewhat informative, I think there a few more topics in the search results if you want to dig a little more but I didn’t really have time to further refine the criteria.

Good luck with your recordings!

6 Likes

I clamp my phone to the desk, record the video on the phone, record the audio on the iPad via an audio interface, put it all on my computer to sync the audio to the video and abandon it.

5 Likes

Poorly… very poorly…

I would love to do more line-recorded videos, but usually when I’m feeling saucy and creative I just toss my phone somewhere and hit record.

If I had a setup wired to capture properly and could hit one button (preferably the Mungo Sync button) to record, I would in a twinkling.

Maybe I’ll get there, but recording is always an afterthought. :frowning:

2 Likes

If you’re recording multitrack audio, whether in the DAW or elsewhere, you can afford to sacrifice one channel, and you’re recording video using most SLR, mirrorless, or camcorder style cameras, you can set yourself up for sync by playing an smpte timecode audio file both into your recorder and the camera(s) audio inputs. You need to make sure that the format of the file matches the frame rate of video that you’re shooting, but otherwise it doesn’t need to be synced to an external clock or anything, as long as you have it recorded in sync with the audio and each camera recognizes it. Not all cameras support timecode, and you may need to configure it, but most do. I’m not sure if the are phone apps that sync to timecode via the audio input, but I wouldn’t be surprised. Many better audio recorders intended for film use, like the Sound Devices mixpre series, can also work as timecode generators, so if you’re recording into something like that, it’s easy. Once you’re done recording, almost any real video tool — I recommend Davinci, which is the industry standard now and the light version is free — will recognize the timecode tracks in the camera audio and in the imported sound and handle sync for you.

5 Likes

Oh god, I should’ve searched. Thank you so much!

1 Like

That’s good info, thank you