Making Videos on the fly... what's the simplest/fastest way to combine mp3 mixes to video (iOS or desktop)

As the title says… if I have a bunch of videos on my phone, and a bunch of WIP (work in progress) mixes on my phone and desktop, and I want to merge them, what’s the path of least resistance to do it?

Can I easily do it straight from my iPhone? Or is it better to do it on my MBP? iMovie?
Simplicity/speed are my main priority.

(Looking for advice before downloading any apps I don’t need to.
Apologies if this is really simple, but I’m a complete luddite with video… and if there’s an existing thread (I missed it), feel free to point at it.)

2 Likes

It’s better to do it on your MBP in terms of screen size, but if you want to keep totally mobile with it, the Lumafusion app is brilliant on iPhone and iPad for video editing, and I’ve matched separate audio on there before. I’m afraid I haven’t used iMovie for a gazillion years so I’m not sure how it fares. Obvs Final Cut Pro is the biggie on MBP but that may be overkill in terms of cost for the value you’ll get out of it.

1 Like

My personal preference would be to use Adobe Premiere Pro on a desktop or laptop. That’s partly due to the fact that I’d find iOS way too fiddly for video editing and partly because I use Adobe Creative Cloud apps for the day job. If I wasn’t so tied to the Adobe ecosystem, I’d probably opt for the free version of DaVinci Resolve instead. iMovie would suffice too - it’s very beginner friendly and not as overwhelming as the other options I mentioned. Good luck!

1 Like

Free DaVinci Resolve is so easy.

My workflow with live jams:

Record video with iphone
Record audio with ipad, audioshare app
Trim audio with audioshare
Export to Grand Finale for a bit of «mastering»
Airdrop the video from iphone to ipad
Open in iMovie, import mastered audio
Detach audio on the video and time adjust audio to video
Save video.

I can do jam to video for 30 mins that way, given I have a take I’m happy with

1 Like

DaVinci Resolve (on the Mac) might look intimidating at first, but it’s quick and easy.
You drop the video and audio files onto the timeline, then you can cut/trim as desired.
It has options to link to a YouTube account so that you can export directly to your channel if you want.

And the sky is the limit if you ever want to do more with it.
It’s a very capable program, and the Studio version is even used in Hollywood productions.