Elektronauts 2.0

Should be swept up eventually … Elektronauts 1.0 links broken (* this may be sorted eventually)
I also find it tricky to visualize a page - the whiteout is evidently also hard on our eyes plus I’ve noticed it be slowish to load, but it does seem like a step forward for sure … just far too white for now !

One question concerning replies – the way they’re implemented now often forces an extra click – you know, the reply icon that you have to click on to see the actual text that the reply concerns. could the “quoted” text be expanded by default?

LyingDalai’s message

Highlight the text you want to see and there will be a popup ‘quote reply’ button - in case you hadn’t spotted it !

Would have been cool if it fonts and menus were done in the style of the buttons and labels on the Elektron boxes…

Anyway, after a couple of days usage I like it, miles more interactive than the old one. I understand the minimalist skin, but it is a little tiring on the eyes after a while.

The only thing worse than skeuomorphism is the blinded-by-white experience we’re all getting our eyes round right now :wink:

Well I wasn’t thinking skeuomorphic design, i.e. literally mimicking physical attributes of buttons etc., just flat representation.

Unfortunately there has to be some post processing of conversations to get images and references to old topics to be correct. This might slow down the forum this week.

I hadn’t, thank you!

I wouldn’t mind if the forum just defaulted to that behaviour, though… :diddly:

Links to old topics, post and user profiles should be fixed now. We would appreciate if you tell us if you find any broken links out there. Happy clicking!

3 Likes

thanks!

and thank you so much for doing this much-needed reboot :3lektron:

4 Likes

Okay - this does not retrospectively redirect current googling of old cached posts then ! is this something that can be worked on ? (to connect old thread references to new)

We’re hoping that Google will re-crawl elektronauts.com as more and more request go towards the new website. If this doesn’t happen automatically within a near future we will have to try and force a re-crawl. No effort will be put in trying to manually connect old threads to new. As you mentioned, this is a matter of cache. The beauty of internet!! :wink:

2 Likes

These links (my bookmarks) are still broken…

https://www.elektronauts.com/topics/view/5234/150552/page:1#150552
https://www.elektronauts.com/topics/view/12883/page:1

Hmm. As I said in the earlier post

I’m sorry to say that at this point it would be too big of a task to redirect all 160.000 post’s urls to the new ones.

But here’s a small help with your bookmarks.

1 Like

Oh sorry, my mistake…
You were saying [quote=“elektronauts, post:153, topic:19212”]Links to old topics, […] should be fixed now[/quote]
So I understood you got some kind of redirection table…

I understand now that when you say “links to old topics”, you mean that you guys corrected the links within the posts…

I gotta be honest, a few days of using this forum and I’m almost about to call it quits (or at least stop visiting as often as I do). It takes absolutely forever to load anything, and sometimes stuff won’t load at all. I’ve tried it on my tablet, phone, work computer, and 2 home desktops. The old forum was slow, but this is making that one look like the damn Road Runner.

it’s the first day back for the Elektron staff and they’ve clearly been updating the site to smooth the transition between old and new … these big speed hit blips should be a thing of the past as we move forwards, hopefully

I hope so! I love all the help I get here, but loading times are ridonkulous.

Yes I wished we could be more precise with the occasions in time when we do maintenance work but we are doing a lot of changes at the moment. For future updates we will try and have better communication about the speed bumps or downtimes that may occur. Hope you can have it in your heart to be patient about this. For your information there will be no more maintenance work for about 2 weeks from tomorrow.

1 Like

More user feedback

The Latest page is my go-to page

Often a new or previously-contributed-to thread will have blue indicators

Other threads that have been visited are given % grey font and fresh ones are 100% (ie black)
whilst this is presented on a very white page it becomes near impossible to discern between the grey (is it 99% black or what :wink: ) and the black - particularly when both are alternated on white and light grey (is it 1% grey :wink: )

a clearer divide between visited and not threads would be welcome at this end (or at least an extra marker)

whilst this is a good monitor, i concede it is much clearer on another screen, a bright day and a bright page push the eyes towards rendering this illegible … something to consider perhaps

1 Like