CV/GATE synths/drum modules for additional voice A4

Non exhaustive listing to add voice to your A4 using cv/gate:
It was in a previous post that has been deleted unfortunately.
Feel free to suggest/correct.

Legend (thx AdamJay)
* Mono
** Poly
= current production
# no longer in production
P Preset/Memory

SYNTHS:

Alesis:
Andromeda A6 (**#P)

Analogue Solutions:
Leipzig K (*=)

Arp:
2600 (#)
Odyssey (all iterations) (
#)

Arturia:
MicroBrute. (=)
MiniBrute (
=)

Doepfer:
Dark Energy (*=)

Dreadbox:
Erebus (**=)
Murmux (=)
Hades (
=)

DSI:
Pro 2 (**=P)

DSP Synth:
Ju-X Analog (=)
Jupiter X Analog (
=)
Noob Vintage (*=)

Future Retro:
XS (*#)

Hypersynth:
Xenophone (*=P)

Kilpatrick Audio:
Phenol (*=)

Korg:
MS-10 (#)
MS-20 (
#)
MS-20 mini (=)
Monotribe (
=)
Mono/Poly (**#)

MFB:
Nanozwerg (#)
Dominion X (
#)
Synth II (#P)
Microzwerk (
#)

Moog:
SlimPhatty (=P)
Mintaur (
=P)
Sub37 (**=P)
Voyager (=P)
Werkstatt (with CV expander) (
=)
MF107 FreqBox (#)
MicroMoog (
#)

Mutable Instruments:
Anushri (*#)

Novation:
Bass Station rack (*#P)

Oberheim:
SEM Module (*=)

Rarewave:
Grendel Grenadier (*=)

Roland:
SH101 (#)
MC202 (
#)
System 1m (*=P)

Sequential Circuits:
Pro One (*#)
Prophet 5 (**#P)

Studio Electronic:
Boomstar (=)
ATC-1 (
#P)

Technosaurus:
Microcon 1 (*#)

Trax:
Retrowave

Twisted Electrons:
Therapsid Mk2 (*=P)

Vermona:
Perfourmer Mk1 or Mk2 (with optional CV input add-on)

Waldorf:
Pulse+ (*#P)

Yamaha:
CS-5 (*#)

MODULAR IN GENERAL.
:imp:

DRUMS:

Alesis:
DM10

Ddrum:
DD1

Jomox:
Mbase
Mbrane

MFB:
Tanzbar

Nord:
Nord drum/Nord drum 2

Roland:
TM-2

Vermona:
Kick Lancet
DRM1 mk2 / mk3

Yamaha:
All DTX series

2 Likes

http://www.elektronauts.com/t/error-reading-title/9100/74472
yep - that’s strange ! - at least reply contributions are still there

Thanks.
Trying to have the convenience of a list to help the Elektronauts.
I am reading the original thread and updating…

Ah cheers. While it’s been recently discontinued, Moog’s MF107 Freqbox serves as a fifth osc if you can find one. Also the Minibrute.

Add MFB Synth II
microzwerk

Korg Monotribe

I forgot that the MFB’s did CV! Synth ii is the poor man’s moog - sounds great!

DSI Pro 2

Korg Mono/Poly

Alesis Andromeda A6 (which, coincidentally, has a very similar synth architecture to the A4/AK. It’s a bit like an A16, with a 3rd LFO per voice)

Sequential Circuits Pro One
Sequential Circuits Prophet 5

Arp 2600
Arp Odyssey (all iterations)

Something else I just discovered is that with the Alesis Trigger IO (about $100, second hand) you can convert drum triggers, and therefore A4’s CV outputs in trigger mode, to midi.

So you could sequence up to 4 drums or samples of any drum machine/sampler that has midi input. Korg Volca Beats and Volca Sample comes to mind first. Extending their sequencers to 64 beats is something I’ve enjoyed with my Monomachine’s midi sequencer.

No pitch on the Trigger IO, sadly. Or this would be a great low cost CV-Midi converter.

It’s USB class compliant, but apparently not working on iPads since iOS7 and beyond. Too bad. Could still use its Midi output into a a Connectivity midi interface or similar to use A4’s CV track for sending 4 triggers to an iOS drum synth/sampler. Keep in mind you may have to deal with additional latency if using it with a computer or tablet.

Another use for it… triggering synths with gated sequencers, such as the Novation Bass Station 2, or various DSI synths, as it can send a midi note#.

Also, MFB Tanzbar, I do believe.

Roland’s System 1m, since it works as a desktop module

Are the other Dreadbox synths not compatible?

Don’t see why they wouldn’t be.

I sold the one I had, but Simmons drum modules work quite well with the A4.

Man, I need to upgrade my Monotribe!

Following on from this, you can open up a whole universe of additional options to use with the A4/AK sequencer just by having a CV-MIDI converter that does support pitch. Some of the synths on this list are actually capable of acting as pass-through CV->MIDI converters (I know the Minitaur and Monotribe can, but there are surely others as well.) It would be a good feature to add to the legend.

Wow…so the Minitaur or Monotribe convert CV/Gate IN to Midi note OUT?
(mind blown)

Monotribe has no midi and Minitaur only Midi in (USB doesn’t count)

Following on from this, you can open up a whole universe of additional options to use with the A4/AK sequencer just by having a CV-MIDI converter that does support pitch. Some of the synths on this list are actually capable of acting as pass-through CV->MIDI converters (I know the Minitaur and Monotribe can, but there are surely others as well.) It would be a good feature to add to the legend.
[/quote]
great idea! i haven’t really thought about it before but this could work with my voyager as well. ill try when im back at the studio.

Ah, good catch on the Monotribe. I’d seen a Youtube video of someone using it for CV->MIDI but it turns out it was a modified one with the MIDI I/O added. (this is one option: http://www.amazingmachines.com.br/products_miditribe.html) Since it requires the hardware hack, it probably shouldn’t count. But it is pretty cool of Korg to enable the CV->MIDI functionality in the firmware since they don’t even sell the machine with MIDI.

I can confirm the Minitaur needs no hardware upgrades to do this, though. Just the latest firmware.

This topic is why the forum needs stickies.

Fantastic info - Thanx Klerc and all you people.