Analog Heat

Lack of sequencer equals lack of purchase. There is absolutely nothing revolutionary about this device. Stereo Filters and Distortions are not the things of legend like some people around here think. It’s interesting and sounds good, but not revolutionary. They created one of the most irritating “teaser” campaigns on the planet and this is what they came up with? Ughh, I think I’ll be ignoring Elektron until I see a proper Octa 2 at this point, which maybe never as they don’t seem to care about external MIDI sequencing anymore.
I can’t believe I’m saying this but Behringer actually seems to be doing it right…did we fall into opposite world?

1 Like

Yeah but you completely put overbridge on the side. So it’s revolutionary because of that.

• no need to be revolutionary if your hears are flattered by the results and you like the sound you get with something GET IT… it’s not always need to be revolutionary !!! is music is revolutionary since 10 years (in Electronic Music) certainly Not … !!! I guess few artist let’s say i can count on my 10 fingers are kick me but it’s old school anyway, modernized in the good way… but it’s not revolutionary.
1 Like

@BonfireTest I was thinking the same before the SonicLab demo.
You can still see improvements :

• distortions seem way more versatile than A4 and AR ones
  • the envelope follower coupled with filter is something new
  • analog EQ is new as well

But apart from this, what is really new is that it’s an FX that seems to distort the sound in a way that is very controllable, especially because of the presence of the three buttons Drive, Wet Level and Dry/Wet.
In the end, I felt like in several places Dataline really managed to focus on interesting deformations.

Now the idea of providing a box that would change the sound is such a controllable way seems a good one to me.
It’s bringing the old trinity into analog territory, somehow. Can’t wait to try.

1 Like

Yeah i agree it will gives the octatrack, the Overdrive +++ of the Analog Series … or a Master Overdrive +++ As all people claim sample is superNICE in Analog Rytm let see the same way on the OT with AH

what’s so revolutionary about the behringer deepmind 12? it is NOT multi-timbral. pretty disappointing considering it’s a DCO synth. sounds good for pads, and the FX section with guitar amp simulation etc sounds great. For performance it looks horrible, and even has a load time between patches causing audio drop outs :frowning: it also has a fan to keep the internals cool. Easy pass for me.

I think the revolutionary part of the AH is the modulation capabilities. Yes, there are many distortion/saturation/eq/filter units you can buy. How often do you find all these features in one unit with CV and MIDI control with all the modulation destinations. Pair that with a digital envelope follower as well as the 8 different analog circuits and you have a serious multi purpose tool for the studio.

It’s not for everyone, but for anyone who wants to experience what having a nice analog front end to capture your elektron boxes sounds like, this is the unit for you. After using plenty of the UAD plugs with the preamps of my apollo processing the elektron boxes, i’m really excited to have a hands on unit that can offer some of the same flavor that some of these plugs provide ITB

much easier to transport than my 500 series rack and expensive transformer balanced AD converter to the venue too :wink:

1 Like

F****** Agree too

I firmly believe that such sound processing for less than €1000 is something hardly achievable…I’ve been working in a studio with a Culture Vulture, and even if it got tubes, it’s a beast to tame…not quick unit, like AH seems to be.
AH has more options and quite similar sounding results too.
I would have liked to have the sequencer too, but then I will use AK CV outs finally and my dusty expression pedal…

I also believe that some distorted sounds are easily achievable using stompboxes for less than €100, but then you will need a good impedance matching device (I use Radial EXTC-SA) and good patience dealing with buzz, hum and ghost noises driven to -30dBfs (at least).

And one last thing: waiting for a new device should not bring ranting so easily if expectations are not met. Every one has his own taste…but confusing this with easy hating, it is not comfortable.

this is so true. also when checking specs on the AH balanced outputs compared to the AK/AR/OT, seems like they will be the loudest/most powerful audio outputs they have offered in their machines.

I have decided to switch my sherman filterbank V2 for this analog heat .
…And I just sold my sherman so Analog Heat just ordered !

I think some other users of the sherman filterbank V2 are gonna make the same like me .

The distortions that Analog Heat propose are the same vibe . Before this elektron new device , Sherman was the only device with its powerful analog distortion conbined with filters .

Now they are both

But Analog Heat has got PRESETS and is totally controlable by MIDI witch change evreything for me .

great

3 Likes

I’ll like the Analog Heat but i like the Elysia Karacter more. Just my taste after listening to the wav. files from the Karacter.

1 Like

on top of this it is stereo :heat:.

:loopy:

2 Likes

one concern i have is how the filter sounds? if it’s based on the A4 and RYTM, and shares similar sound characteristics, then i wouldn’t want the Heat on my mix bus.

I was told the one I just ordered should arrive in a couple weeks.

1 Like

Did you order direct from elektron?

Guitar Center. They didn’t know about it until I called though.

Hah. Thanks. I ordered mine direct from elektron.

Yeh its a pretty interesting device. To me its a cross between the Sherman Filterbank and the old Culture Vulture rack unit. Both legendary devices, who already had their day in the sun. This “Analog Heat” is in the exact same family, but its the new kid. Its the most modern version of this kind of thing.

Ive always wished to have something like this, but I create such distorted and freaky type sounds so frequently that I already have a million cheapo ways of achieving it and also a distinct lack of disposable income, which means this kind of thing would only be a luxury.

Looks fun though.

1 Like

I just wonder, though: does every new music tech device NEED to be revolutionary? Other than the high end “close” alternatives to :heat: there is nothing out there that does exactly what it does. I want my music to be revolutionary; it’s not a requirement of my devices.

edit: as an afterthought, I do think that music tech companies should continue to push the envelope of what’s possible; that’s part of their role. Though I haven’t used it yet, I feel OB is pretty revolutionary. This is just to say, I’m interested in the Heat because of the sound, not how cutting edge the tech is.

2 Likes

AH is going to fit with my OT really well. For me, making music has 3 aspects: 1. Jamming, 2. Performing and 3. Recording. AH adds a lot of fun to jamming and performing and also adds a bit to recording.
There is a reason why people spend thousands on modular systems or guitars with the best tone and its not really because of what these instruments sound like in a mix. It’s that joy you get when the instrument in your hands sounds like its alive…kind of romantic but hopefully the AH provides the circuitry to boost the joy of jamming and performing with an instrument like the OT. Then of course it should breathe a bit of soul into the samples you feed the OT. So…I’m most likely going to buy it and I think most OT owners will do the same.

3 Likes

Well, there you go.