ZRNA Akso

I love my axoloti’s, have two and a new AKSO on the way.

There is a 4op Fm patch example in the community help library so the sound possibility is there in Axoloti basic but there are much more resources available with Akso, so feasibly you could attach a sequencer there.

The thing with axoloti is that it is so open ended, so you may have to adapt an existing patch to your individual use case, or build what you want from the ground up using existing objects.

Even within your own setup you can have an entirely different patch from sample mangling to turing sequencer to FM or subtractive synth just by loading a new patch. And then how you choose to control that is up to you midi, hardware and that’s all before you’ve even considered coding…the problem is that you do have to put in that extra work, but it’s easy really and fun if you have the right mindset…

2 Likes

Thanks, never heard of this, interesting…

Thanks! I should know this, i have a Nord G2…

So with the G2 patch sharing was made simpler by virtue of the fact that everyone using it was using the same hardware. Same for Zoia or Organelle.

Most patches that are shared for axoloti tend to be CC midi controllable, because everyone has different hardware, from simple plexi cases to the axsocontrol from music thing or the Hohum labs axoctrl to much more elaborate self built full synths, so there may be different ways that a patch is controlled but the actual patch is the same, so it’s quite straight forward to alter the patch for your hardware… or just control it via midi.

I hope that makes sense, if you enjoy the G2, there’s a hell of a lot for you to enjoy in Axo/Akso and compare the price you pay for G2, Zoia, and Organelle to the price you pay for the Akso

1 Like

Oh wow, Akso looks so cool, gonna order and dedicate next months to some stuff I had in mind. :slight_smile:

Oh the endless possibilities… :upside_down_face:

totally agree that a standard physical UI can help development, though I am always inspired by seeing other people’s axoloti constructions. The odder, or even better, the more focused on just being a particular purpose soundbox, the more interesting.

2 Likes

Anyone had an update on shipping (Akso)?

Good points! As i barely use patches of others, and if i do mostly for inspiration, that should be no problem. Midi controllers enough lying around.

I held off on my order to see them going out the door - initial orders were supposed to ship in two weeks, though that’s now almost three weeks ago (so five weeks from order point). I’m guessing orders were needed to get the ball rolling on production, which is taking longer than expected.

Should add another reason I waited was to see how the software side developed - I’m not sure if anything has been updated yet regards whether there will be an editor once they are in the wild?

I’d hoped that the software environment might be taken further that the v1 Axoloti environment but it seems it’s a direct port. Maybe that’s something that somebody might push forwarding the future, since as it is my biggest issue with the axoloti core isn’t the hardware but the software.

That said I welcome the hardware improvements the also brings and hope to be onboard in the near future…

I received an email from ZRNA that the high demand surprised them but they are testing the boards before send out. I guess they might have been a bit overwhelmed initially.

From their comments it sounds like they want to build further, starting from the existing axoloti base. Great if they do, but I’d be happy just with good quality upgrade of the boards and compatibility . Pushing patches to have more power will be great - sequencing, synth and effects all on one chip.
Hopefully dual axo akso parallel communities result in 1+1=3

Makes me curious to know if this will inspire a new product from Johannes as well.

I have a similar experience. But alltogether, I love the Axoloti to death nevertheless.
It brings old usb-midi controllers back to life. I personally found it helped me leap forwards in terms of music interfacing and performing like no other ready-made groovebox. And I did not even start soldering or building anything like that.
I ended up buying four units and I pre-ordered the akso.

2 Likes

Good point . I use mine as a usb midi host and midi processor sometime.
Just as a midi processor its worth it !
You can program macros for midi cc, program changes, custom sequencer etc etc .

2 Likes

Just combined my axoloti-core with a axoctrl and box from http://shop.hohumlab.com/projects-axoctrl/
Just made a tapedelay patch and having fun with it.

2 Likes

Wow , looks very nice !

And easy to build. This just made the threshold for starting with an axoloti a lot lower!

1 Like

I can’t wait for him to get the supply and shipping issues sorted. Have a couple things in mind that these are going to be perfect for, but don’t feel like ordering an then waiting ??? until they arrive.

Mine turned up today. It certainly took a while :laughing:

Received mine two weeks ago.
Just made a few trials with it. Didn’t notice anything different from the axoloti, but missing the MIDI DIN IN/OUT ports very much. If anyone knows how to add them, I’m interested.