ZRNA Akso

How does the stackability work?
Is each board still separately addressed by its own patch? is it just for midi/audio exchange?
thanks

Had this idea also, but same here: it did stay with just an idea. But nevertheless, still an interesting one. But still i would like to have some knobs, so a dedicated case with its own knobs would be more logical.

@zrnsm ā€œThis might sound a bit wild but where I want to go with this eventually is having a system where any ā€œpatcher actionā€ is theoretically possible away from the patcher application, in the standalone device itself.ā€

That would be very nice! Next to all other ideas mentioned (euro). I see myself ordening one just to back up those forthcoming developments.

Hehe, wasted 3 hours trying to get my Axoloti working with PC, I remember now how flaky the software is on windows when I tried it before, I eventually got it working last time, but no luck so far this time.
I had hoped that things would be better by now, apparently not though.

Basically donā€™t even bother installing 2.0 according to a post on the forum it isnā€™t stable, well unfortunately I did not see that first, as there is no mention on the getting started page, it just links to latest version on github.

So after dicking around with no success other than updating the Axo firmware and getting the midi test in 2.0 to work once (subsequent tries did not work) I went on the forum and found out that 2.0 is not reliable. Error 127.

So then I install the previous version, and now it thinks that the runtime isnā€™t installed correctly (it is though) ProgramFiles(x86)/axo_runtime_win the folder is right there.
Then I decide to uninstall everything and start again from scratch, same again. Any interest that I had is now gone, I must be an idiot to think I could just install the software and expect to be making patches within about 15 minutes, and for something just to work correctly if the user follows the instructions.

I think that this is why I hate modern computers, big waste of time that Iā€™ll never get back, for now I have put it aside.

I hope I have more success with ZRNA.

@darenager Bad luck :frowning:
Had the same idea to play again with my axolite reading this threat, but after youā€™re experience iā€™ll let my axolti in his box for nowā€¦

Can anyone confirm the ZRNA is easier to setup?

Yeah, I donā€™t mind jumping through a few hoops to get things working, but beyond an hour or 2 it starts to get ridiculous, I get that it probably isnā€™t all the fault of the developer but I just donā€™t have time to do computer problem solving when I just want to be making music or sounds, reinstalling/uninstalling, downloading other drivers, disconnecting/reconnecting, rebooting blah blah blah, tedious in the extreme.

Iā€™m not the most computer savvy, but Iā€™m not an idiot either, I can follow instructions, and troubleshoot to a point, my problem is I no patience for stuff that should just work and after repeated attempts, does not.

My old board that I had when they first came out worked on this computer (eventually), though when I sold it I uninstalled the axo software.

I havenā€™t gone near 2.0 yet, i think it is nowhere close to usable per the forum and documents.

never had major problems though on the current axo build release 1.12 on windows. Though needed to totally start afresh if i was restarting after a considerable break of a year or so or going from previous versions: clear all folders including my documents, and start from 0.

there was also a firmware upgrade sometime ago which took a few hoops to jump through

1 Like

Ok Iā€™m posting this in case it helps someone, if you get this error:
ā€œRuntime directory is invalid:C:\Program Files (x86)\axoloti_runtime, is the runtime installed? correctly?ā€
When putting the ā€œaxo_runtimeā€ into the ProgramFiles(x86) folder you have to first remove it from the parent folder which is called axo_runtime_win-1.0.12, inside this folder is the actual ā€œaxo_runtimeā€ folder that you put in the ProgramFiles(x86) folder.

Then it works.

5 Likes

Are you up and running D?

I know a couple of people whoā€™ve had a hideous time with the Windows editor. Mind you, the OSX one isnā€™t much simpler. Thereā€™s a lot of inconsistency with paths I found. And sometimes you need a file extension and sometimes you donā€™t. Certainly donā€™t go down the V2 route. Which is a shame as the vector itā€™s on is promising but no updates for 6 months? šŸ¤·

Edited to add: this is Axoloti. Iā€™m seriously hoping Akso is taking note and making the installation a process that doesnā€™t make you want to throw it out of the window.

:laughing: Iā€™m turning into Victor Meldrew with my patience these days, seems Iā€™m not the only one.

Yeah all working now, although I have not yet done anything serious with it, just arsing about testing a few things.

I have a few projects in mind so will undoubtedly end up with a bunch of them and the ZRNA Akso too IF I can get them to do what I want. So far though seems to be possible to do most of the things I have in mind.

Care to share? Just curiousā€¦

Sure, aside from standalone custom instruments and fx I think that adding additional functionality to some of my existing gear is what appeals to me about these platforms. That they donā€™t require much/any coding means that Iā€™m more likely to be able to cobble something together, and tack this onto the gear possibly integrating with the original controls (not as difficult as it seems, mostly)

But as always I am happy to share with the community anything worthy of sharing, along with any relevant instructions etc. So if I manage to do anything Iā€™ll post it :+1:

1 Like

Iā€™ve found with axoloti ā€¦

1. It is more than a bit frustrating getting started progressing on anything beyond using the factory or community library; sure you can do a lot with other peopleā€™s objects but Iā€™ve never had the time to try move beyond that and solve the mysteries inside the objects or design my own.
    (A bit like re-using pre-built Reaktor objects rather than getting down to Reaktor Core)

2. The forum is rich in information but it is all over the place. (I ended up starting an Evernote notebook of tips and pointers to try build a personal guide from my discoveries in the forum, but it takes a lot of effort to get in anyway advanced. And I stop start my projects over vast period of time on a break so easily forget all the nuances and have to learn it all over.

3. There are some amazing contributors of objects on the forum/to the community library.

1 & 2 above aside, it is an amazing little board and extremely cheap for how interesting, versatile and useful it is.
Iā€™ve found it pretty robust and reliable once set up correctly - though have had a couple of breaks when rebuilding my PC and reestablishing how the axoloti libraries operate after a few months hiatus.

1 Like

I can relate to what youā€™re saying about having time to code stuff like your own objects and what not. I think if you have experience coding on other platforms then it is probably just a case of putting in the hours, but I find text based coding anything pretty abstruse, so I will make do with the factory and community libraries for a while, but I reckon they will keep me busy enough, as you say there is some great stuff in there.

Happy to know! Iā€™m thinking, maybe i can use my axoloti to replace my Zoia for custom fx and nice reverbs. But no concrete steps for now. So curious to follow others. :+1:

nice demos!

1 Like

Matthew Tyas has some great Axo videos and tutorials, he has 6 Axoloti!

2 Likes

Whatā€™s this ā€˜tabletā€™ that you play? And how is it connected to the Axoloti?

What is my axoliti doing in my drawer?? I should find time for it very fastā€¦
Is it possible to recreate (loosely) the digitone engine?

thatā€™s not me in the vid, but it is a sensel - a MPE touch tablet you can use with self-made maps.

1 Like