Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Spoiler free discussion)

Try letting go

2 Likes

Guys and girls ! I quit video games like 25 years ago (I started with an Atari 2600) and now you really make me want to buy a Switch and return to Hyrule. My last trip there was with Majoraā€™s Mask.

6 Likes

its hilarious watching my girl play. sheā€™s having so much fun just making stuffā€¦she really hasnā€™t started on the game part of the game yet :rofl:

4 Likes

Ummmm actually, that was Termina :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Yeahā€¦. You better just do itā€¦. :wink:

1 Like

My daughter is mostly about taming all kinds of horses. She also finds out glitches to lead her horse into deep water and stuff. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Very mild spoiler ā€“ I found it neat that the horse I registered in my previous BotW savestate was still registered now in TotK :relieved:

Really like it so far! Hopefully the difficulty of the monsters doesnā€˜t diminish so wuickly after a few hours of gameplay like it does in BotW

3 Likes

Man my kid keeps hogging the Switch, and i cant get any serious length of time in. . For those who have said that they didnt really like BOTW, for me it didnā€™t initially click, and the controls and design choices were a little bothersome. However at about 3-4 hours something clicked and I vividly remember saying a loud to myself, while alone, this is one of the greatest games Iā€™ve ever played. Iā€™ve only done that for 3 games. BotW, Elden Ring, and Red Dead Redemption 2 (although all GTAs and RD1 I totally felt the same way and those also rank high in all time list). So I hope those who didnā€™t get pulled into BotW, will experience that same ā€œclickā€. Maybe it just takes a little longer for some.

Come to think of it I also had that reaction to Metal Gear, Golden Eye, and the first Zelda on N64.

5 Likes

Much like a good novel

1 Like

Itā€˜s great to hear all of you who have kids share their experiences with the game. It makes me really happy that this extremely complex game seems to connect with children as well. Leave it to Nintendo to make a giant open world game that kids can enjoy as well on their own terms. The building elements sure helped a lot with that, smart move Iā€˜d say.

4 Likes

Hahaha ! It was so long time ago :sweat_smile: So I guess it was Ocarina of Time (my favorite) !
Thanks for the reminder :content:

2 Likes

Ocarina of Time was SO amazing! I remember playing that as a kid, getting to the Temple of Time after the three stones, thinking i was going into the end game only to find out the game was just getting started.

5 Likes

It was pure genius indeed !

1 Like

That was amazing, and you just reminded me all about that! Plus, getting the horse was one of the coolest moments in my life up to that point. Well that and seeing that the grenades in Golden Eye left smoke behind. I insta bought an N64 after playing it at Toys R US for 3 minutes. The car would have to wait!

3 Likes

If it worked this way, youā€™d have to have a way to deselect it the you werenā€™t doing multiple actions.

Went to

Kakariko

tonight, so good.

The rose coloured goggles still havenā€™t worn off. I seriously love smashing rocks in this one - feels like Iā€™m back to the old link to the past days.

Itā€™s one thing theyā€™ve really nailed here: secrets - itā€™s what Zelda is all about. In BOTW almost every curiosity was met with one thing - a Korok. Now theyā€™re just one thing in a mix of so much else.

I canā€™t believe every turn you make thereā€™s something else begging for your attention. That Zelda team must have really worked their asses off. Itā€™s mind bending how big and stuffed full this thing is. And sometimes I look at the map and Iā€™ve gone nowhere, but because youā€™re playing in multiple dimensions it takes longer to cover.

3 Likes

It really is. I started going northwest to do a quest. I spent three hours getting to my destination because I keep getting sidetracked by cool things. I must say that Iā€™m not finding as many Koroks as I expected - I must be really bad at finding them compared to BotW.

Came in without crazy expectations - absolutely blown away. It surpasses BotW in many different areas several times over. I would say I run through games pretty quickly as a completionist; the world here is massive. Havenā€™t started the main story yet and I am on day 4 of nothing but exploration. Have about 50 hours in so far I think.

I think this game is equal parts more difficult and more rewarding for people who know how to do something really well. Biggest thought of mind I have while playing, is that compared to BotW, where there were lots of moments where I said to myself ā€œItā€™s over? I wanted more of thisā€ this gives that ā€œmoreā€ and delivers so far ahead.

Also in the context of Zelda as a series, I think this matures the formula like no other. Itā€™s funny, because when I was playing BotW I thought itā€™s going to be hard to go back to traditional Zelda, now it would be hard to go back to BotW. I donā€™t know how they do it but kudos to the developers for continuously raising the bar. So unbelievably fresh.

TotK feels to me like a Zelda remix. Feels like Master Quest to vanilla Ocarina of Time also in many ways.

2 Likes

Personally speaking, the exploration is in a grey area to me.

Yeah, the constant getting distracted by things to explore is a fun moment.

On the other hand, there are countless moments where youā€™re juggling the stamina bar wandering around large empty spaces- those moments feel boring and tedious. ESPECIALLY the frigid tundras(i REALLY hate that score- the scenery and the music feels lifeless and monotonous. I absolutely hate that area :grinning:)

Iā€™ve said it before and Iā€™ll say it again, the world feels a smidgen too big. If it could have been reduced 10-15%, personally speaking, I think that would balance the necessary wandering and adventurous exploration.

I donā€™t like the area itself, but I absolutely love the music.

1 Like