Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Spoiler free discussion)

IMO the game does a great job of training you to use the powers without it being too much. You will start to see situations and know what to do from there. Also, the shrines can really help with this.

Its pretty cool how there is not one solution to many many puzzles in the game. So you can improvise and try out your own ideas and many times they will work.

6 Likes

Itā€™s worth it. Youā€™re going to be treated to some incredibly good music up there.

3 Likes

Spoiler: itā€™s your basic Japanese curry rice, but spicier. Tastes good, and should add a heat buff which is good since Iā€™m off to Bangkok in a few hours where itā€™s been hot AF.

5 Likes

Gosh dang it!

3 orbs possessed, 1 left for another upgrade.

Got to the last chamber of a shrine. Picked up a necessary item to complete the chamber, walked over by the door and the dang thing clipped right through the wall! :grinning:

1 Like

Buy them all up, place them in a box, store them, wait 20 years, open up the box, sell the sludge for profit to those who want the memorabilia.

2 Likes

a 3 minute read.
I think this really isnā€™t a spoiler, but you decide before you show the details

ScreenRant's take on TotK and Capitalism

https://screenrant.com/tears-kingdom-gem-sales-prices-decrease-rupees/

Iā€™m choosing to believe that the gem<->rupee exchange rate in TotK is a carefully thought out design choice.

Thereā€™s some interviews with the devs where they talk about ā€˜cheatingā€™ being fun -

Region traversal

Iā€™ve found something very cool which you could describe as a ā€˜warpā€™ - hard not to feel like Iā€™ve skipped over large regions without trying. I felt naughty and fast travelled back to keep fleshing out in the normal way haha. But then again, I guess itā€™s all intended on Nintendoā€™s part.

Anyway, itā€™s heading into Winter where I am, this title is perfect for it.

You can get TOTK for $50 if you buy it with the two game voucher for $99 deal.

WTF?

https://youtu.be/3XXLUqc3-M8

source

2 Likes

Spoiler on rupees:

Summary

You can actually make quite a bit of money by finding and selling the Amiibo exclusive armor sets from the last game. I sold all those sets because they took up a lot of space, and it looks like you can also repurchase them anyway after they are found/sold (for a non-rupee currency).

3 Likes

No one should feel bad using fast travel in this one. Itā€™s meant to give you a good experience at pretty much whatever pace, level of detail, and often even whatever order you feel like. It was easy to hit 100+ hours in the first one so donā€™t go trying to do everything if youā€™re not up for that. You could always play through to the ending then come back and explore. Iā€™m very confident thatā€™s the case in this one too. So make it your own, play to your enjoyment.

1 Like

Wasnā€™t talking about fast travel :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: something else Iā€™m absolutely loving - Hyrule Field doesnā€™t appear to be plagued by enemy pop in - itā€™s only once you get outside into the outer reaches that it seems to occur. Makes Hyrule Field a joy to explore and perhaps my favourite location in the game so far.

1 Like

Possible hang glider spoilers but I really need some help here.

Summary

So Iā€˜m now in Hyrule and couldnā€™t complete two out of the first three shrines Iā€˜ve entered. After messing around for quite a while, Iā€˜ve looked up tutorials on Youtube and both use the hang glider to solve it. Am I supposed to get the hang glider before arriving in Hyrule or did TOTK introduce shrines that are only completable once youā€˜ve acquired certain items or powers? Leaving the formula of ā€žyou have all the tools you need at all time ā€ž? That would suck, I have to say.

Please donā€™t spoil how to get the hang glider, I only need to know if I did something wrong and am supposed to have it. Didnā€™t fight the colossus on Sky Island for example.

Response

When you reach Hyrule the game gives you subtle nudges on where first to go. Listen to it.

3 Likes
Very mild hang glider spoilers

I missed this for a couple hours. Once youā€™re in Hyrule, follow the gameā€™s directions explicitly, and you should find it in the process of doing what is asked of you.

3 Likes

Wow! These are the perfect degree of being both vague and clear- I wouldnā€™t have thought of a better response

4 Likes

Speaking of vague and clear (if you havenā€™t gotten the glider and jumped in a big hole, DO NOT READ THIS),

Spoilers for Jumping In the Big Holes

Did my first bout of exploration in the underworld yesterday. I did not expect it to presumably be this big, itā€™s giving me feelings Iā€™ve never had in a Zelda game, itā€™s so alien. That place is terrifying but beautiful, and I especially like the taller plants. I got the camera, and decided to keep exploring. I eventually found a statue that asked me to go somewhere nostalgic for reasons Iā€™m as-yet unclear on, and now Iā€™ve gotta figure out how tf to get there.

2 Likes

Alright, so I guess I will head in the first direction of the main quest then, thanks. Itā€˜s irritating that apparently you can miss out on something thatā€™s key to the game by just go and explore. I hope this is the only instance of this, so I can trust the game can be played in any order/direction.

The quick save system also undermines that trust a bit so far. I often found myself thrown back five minutes or so, or even into the middle of an enemy camp full of brutal enemies that kill you instantly, which never happened in BOTW. Made me manually save and load files, but that totally kills the vibe of the game. I hope this will be patched or get better over time.

2 Likes

After this, as far as I can tell, you can do things in any order. Iā€™d do the next quest the game hints at first, because the reward is very useful, but you can do whatever whenever after getting the glider.

1 Like

I just hit the ā€œthe game has meā€ point. :smiley: Not good, since I have way too much to do at the moment. :smiley:

Squeezing it in wherever I can though. Itā€™s a lot of fun! Other than a few very minor things, Iā€™ve zero complaints.

7 Likes

I think itā€™s okay to not hide this behind a spoiler: after the tutorial, you might wanna head straight to the first main quest target. Otherwise, several mechanics youā€˜ll need in the open world are not unlocked. You wonā€™t be able to complete certain shrines or do other important stuff out there. Thanks for your help here.

As Iā€˜ve said, itā€™s uncharacteristically sloppy that Nintendo didnā€™t design this in a way that makes sure you act that way. This goes against the whole design language that BOTW and TOTKā€˜s tutorial has taught you.

Iā€˜m also starting to feel like the puzzle Iā€˜ve encountered in shrines so far are not really my cup of tea. They mostly rely on building contraptions with ultra hand. Itā€˜s often a bit unclear as to how these exactly work. Itā€˜s also quite important where exactly you attach stuff. Combined with the finicky controls, itā€™s simply not that much fun to find out solutions and to then apply them. The fact that all the rotating is done while walking and youā€™re often next to an abyss means youā€˜ll sometimes die when trying to attach something, at least thatā€™s what happened to me several times. Iā€˜m also again surprised that the game doesnā€™t explain some core controls in any way. Sometimes you have to activate a device thatā€™s above you, and you can hit some pillar or what have you thatā€™s connected to it with your sword to start it. How the hell am I supposed to know that when the game just taught me that you have to hit these devices directly to activate them? I really hope this improves or is not the main way youā€˜ll solve puzzles. It reminds me of the few puzzles that I hated in BOTW, now these seem to be the main event.

On a more positive note with mild spoilers about the world, story and presentation after completing the first main quest in Hyrule and exploring for around half an hour.

Summary

The game looks a lot better than BOTW. Rock textures seem way improved, water and clouds as well. This is especially apparent when youā€˜re thrown into the air by a tower or when first diving down from the Temple of Time. It sometimes looks like a real next gen game.

The world is also a lot more fleshed out and interesting. Already lots of different characters and new enemies that Iā€˜ve seen. Purah looks so cool and has a lot of character now. . The gooey stuff that grabs you is scary as fuck. Story beats and encampments are also a lot more entertaining than BOTW and feel more like a classical 3D Zelda. The animation when you first activate a tower is gold. Hyrule also doesnā€™t feel too familiar. So much has changed that you donā€™t recognize a lot of sites. And for those you certainly will recognize, they play with that. For example that they make you head up Hyrule Castle so early and pass where you defeated Ganon. Or that Kakariko is now full of these ruins, especially here it feels like reaching a new main story location in a Zelda game.

1 Like