Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Spoiler free discussion)

Well it’s gonna be a while for me to plat Bloodborne. And I think it’ll be worth the wait. My patience level is HIGH. two years no gear, 8 years no golf on grass. [wont allow myself to do either till I get a job or an influx of money]
I am capable of waiting.

To rewind a little bit.

There’s a lot I’m enjoying about TotK, but the absolute coolest thing about it is there was no title screen.

As soon as the game boots up, you’re in the game. So crazily cinematic. Very cool(I don’t remember if BotW did the same thing)

2 Likes

I believe it didn’t. You have to do tutorials for a bit, then the game starts.

could be wrong

But that’s kind of a thing now.

1 Like

This vid is hilarious, but may be deemed inappropriate. So flag if need be.

Zelda and TTP

6 Likes

I want to remind everybody that this shoud be a spoiler free thread. Thank you. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I was only lukewarm on BotW, but TotK is absolutely incredible. Every issue I had with the original (except weapon breakage) have been addressed. This game does a much better job of directing you into the story and easing you into the mechanics. Also, the music is markedly better. It took me a bit to figure out the way to manipulate the ultrahand tool, but now it’s a breeze. Can’t wait to go home and play some more tonight.

3 Likes

Really enjoying this game so far. I will say, while I thoroughly enjoyed BotW, and now this, I would love to see another classic style Zelda game. I don’t want to see this style go away in the process, as I enjoy them for different reasons, but a new game with the old formula would be a nice change of pace I think.

Anyway, nothing but positive things to say so far. :slight_smile:

Not sure if anyone was actually waiting for me to elaborate on my last post or not :smiley: but the reason I’m playing Ocarina of Time at the same time, is that I was on a trip with my wife. Before we left, my son all of a sudden decided he was on a Mario kick, and was playing through Mario Sunshine on my Switch. I decided to leave it with him, so he could keep playing it. I brought my 3DS with me instead, and started up a new game of Ocarina. TotK came out the day I was coming home, so I started it up when I got back. However, I was so far into Ocarina (working on the Lake temple) that I couldn’t just drop it. So I’m alternating between them as I get a few minutes here or there to play. It’s been interesting going back and forth between the two styles of Zelda game.

Anyway… :smiley:

7 Likes

I thought it was confusing at first too, but then it suddenly clicked for me. Most of the time, you’ll want to strategically position yourself straight on the item, if possible, before picking it up. It’s much easier to twist and flip if you start from an “even” trajectory, if that makes sense. Now I can build stuff quickly with no problems.

3 Likes

Yeah same feelings here. I think you are correct how the game gives you all this functionality but lets you learn it without being overwhelming. It just allows you to be creative and mess with stuff after showing you the basics, which is pretty cool.

Combat for whatever reason seems a little more enjoyable to me as well, but I am still pretty new into the game and just left the first area.

This game has more of an Elden Ring vibe to it for me in terms of the open world being very explorable and I feel like I can just go anywhere and figure out my next move when I feel like it. It’s different enough to be it’s own thing though, so it’s pretty cool. Also the fact that this is a hand held game is pretty mindblowing.

5 Likes

Yes, I also started to skip most posts in this thread. Great you‘re making progress @Ryan, but you might mark spoilers a bit more in your posts and give hints on what you’re going to talk about before diving right in.

3 Likes

FYI:

You can click buttons or just type in the markup yourself.

5 Likes

Crazy enough, I actually prefer playing it handheld with a good pair of headphones.

4 Likes

I love when the game organically introduces itself. (also maybe edit your other comment to remove out the name of the quest? I’m pretty bummed because it feels like you just spoiled a fairly major reveal for me).

On the other hand I felt like the game interrupted me way too much for the first couple of hours - every single new item picked up, any time I entered an area that wanted to teach me something, cutscenes, characters talking. I wish there was a “I’ve played BotW, don’t introduce things unless they’re new in this game“ mode.

mild spoilers about a type of shrine

Like, every time I enter a new combat shrine there are multiple extremely long pauses where it tells me the concept of what I’m going to learn, & explanatory control popups. Don’t tell me I’m going to learn to dodge, and then tell me how to dodge. Just tell me how to dodge.

I feel like I’m ragging on it pretty hard in my comments - I’m really enjoying the game, most of my experience is very positive. There just isn’t much I can talk about without spoiling things for others.

3 Likes

Sorry guys, I thought the name was already pretty vague. I’m trying to be mindful of not giving out spoilers.

I’ll delete. My bad

2 Likes

Dodging seems pretty hard to me. To be honest it feels like pure luck to hit the right point. Is there any indication as to when exactly push buttons?

Also what about if you already circling the enemy and only adding the jump button. Most of the time this seems not to count as a dodge. Never get slomo to attack this way.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a bokablin

1 Like

Try letting go

2 Likes

Guys and girls ! I quit video games like 25 years ago (I started with an Atari 2600) and now you really make me want to buy a Switch and return to Hyrule. My last trip there was with Majora’s Mask.

6 Likes

its hilarious watching my girl play. she’s having so much fun just making stuff…she really hasn’t started on the game part of the game yet :rofl:

4 Likes

Ummmm actually, that was Termina :nerd_face:

2 Likes