YouTube preview thumbnails

Seems like the automatic YouTube preview thumbnails have stopped working on Elektronauts, which makes YouTube links way less useful! Can we get them back, please? :slight_smile:

[Mod edit] For the link to be turned automatically into a thumbnail:

• you shouldn’t use the “link” button image
  • you just have to paste the YT link with nothing else on the line (no initial space or following text for instance).
5 Likes

Seconded!!!

yes please. If this was on purpose, I have to say this feels like a substantial downgrade, considered how many youtube videos are shared here

it’s being investigated, it may be imposed on Elektronauts, rather than by Elektronauts … by the almighty G

4 Likes

Really? They want to remove YT embeds on the web? Why would they do that?

To facilitate rickrolling

15 Likes

Those… fiends

You can imagine most of the thumbnails anyway:

“GAME-CHANGER? :open_mouth:”

5 Likes

“… IS IT WORTH IT?”

etc

it’s been speculated that it may be a temporary block down to too many referrals

i don’t know, but perhaps they recover less revenue from external embeds - or maybe they have an algorithm which is for detecting something else and this site got lumped in there - no idea, nor sure when it’ll change

1 Like

ok most thumbnails are not worth it, but it would be helpful to at least see the title of the video instead of just a link with id

1 Like

If this video preview limitation only applied to thumbnails with the ”surprised/mindblown” faces, I’d be all for it. :smile:

It occurred to me also that what @avantronica mentioned might be the case. Don’t know why but mysterious are the ways of the almighty G…

2 Likes

Found this by accident the other day modifying the embed script.

Just do:
-youtube.com- / watch / video code

4 Likes

Don’t forget the :fire: emoji

2 Likes

My favourite! :100:

1 Like

:100::star_struck::fire::fire::fire::boom::scream_cat::star::star::star::star::star::comet::earth_asia::musical_keyboard:

1 Like

Hallelujah baby!

@tomfs, it works!

And nice and tiny too.

1 Like

I don’t think adverts play in embedded videos, do they? So zero revenue from videos watched through embedding.

If you have to click on it and go to youtube.com (or open in the mobile app) then you have to watch the ads.

“SNAKEOIL!!!”

“TOTAL FAIL!!!”

“STOP SUCKING NOW!”

“EXPOSED!!!”

“DIGITONE IS SO INTENSE!!!”

and so on…

I hope this helps everyone to make it through this difficult time until youtube thumbnails are restored again…stay strong, brothers and sisters.

1 Like

I pay for premium to get rid of all the ads so I’m not sure but I know there are definitely banner ads on embedded videos, if not inline ads. Not sure. But the idea of disallowing web embeds seems kind of crazy. It would break so much stuff and go against a lot of what youtube is - the ubiquitous video hosting and sharing platform. (Also, it’s not like they don’t benefit in any way from the tracking data they are gathering when you watch, wherever you are watching - I think the value is not necessarily only in the ads.)

1 Like