Your Setups (Part 1)

Lololol, your desk is like:“yo, look what I got, check these two out!” :hugs:

2 Likes

I see this and it makes me want to upgrade to all MKII’s
I’m trying to envision how the two big ones will look with an OT and AH+FX sitting above them.
Wondering how an OT + AH + maybe another smaller one would look above the A4/RYTM combo.
:thinking:

Heheh…I want to get the laptop and iPad off the desk so I can fill it with all the other gear :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your best bet would be something that streams off a flash card similar to the Tracker then… Maybe a Deluge? Polyend Play?

3GB seems like a lot of samples to me, but maybe I’m stuck in the past.

1 Like

Rytm is definitely quite limited on the sample side of things. Still a lot of fun, but often frustrating when it doesn’t do something you’d like it to. That said I’ve never had a problem with the limited storage space.

2 Likes

Been thinking about an extendable arm for my MacBook. What model did you get/how you liking it?

All seems good now.

The Arms and Tray I bought to support this:
Arms:

Tray:

3 Likes

The update for the DT certainly opened it up but honestly I’ve not used it much since the update. I have been learning the control in on the AR with the A4 lately and having a blast with exploring the two together. I have the DT and ST in a seperate setup, those two are more immediate however their limitations are apparent when going to the AR/A4.

Choosing between the DT and ARmk2 is a tough one and I’ve thought about getting rid of one of the two but I can’t pick which one. Sorry, I’m not helping.

1 Like

Check out Expect Resistance channel on YouTube. I don’t recall his name on this forum but he certainly helps with sparking creative ways of using the AR.

His studio setup is pretty diverse and he incorporates some of them in his AR explorations.

I’ll add the SH-01A in with my Ar/A4 setup just because it’s simple to get good sounds going without much thought and sampling into AR with the control in is crazy fun!

2 Likes

That’s @pokk!

5 Likes

Nice… Keeping it just to the point where the amount of gear is not overwhelming you is key.

1 Like

My current Setup. I own the Elektrons for a longer time, the Eurorack grows since two years. Very happy with all the world’s I can dive into.

20 Likes

Thanks for the tag @Annihilation_Squares :black_heart:
Cheers too @whikidazz

Funnily enough i was looking at the Digitakt specs over the weekend as was at a show and there were a lot of Digitakts being used, although all as minor parts in the sets.

I’ve never really looked massively into how it compares to the Rytm MK2, it would be handy actually if the website did a comparison chart, and interesting that that didn’t. I guess Elektron feel it’s less upgrade and more standalone instruments or something?

I definitely like the cute size of the Digitakt but it definitely has a few less things that makes me feel happy to have picked the Rytm. Still, I’ve never used a Digitakt, and I’m sure they are pretty cool.

I wonder that the depth that seems required in Elektron boxes to get something interesting is either harder to do on Digitakt without needing extra boxes, or they have factored that in through the design?

Id say, as with all this stuff, get what sounds good or probably worth considering, more what should sound good or has the potential to sound good. The Rytm took me ages to gel with it, but i think i was being an idiot with it honestly :joy:

Coming from, and still using various Akai as my main samplers, 1gb is so much space for me. I think my S2800 is like 11 secs or something crazy so short sample’s with filters, env and an LFO can keep me going for ages.

For me, the strength of the DT resides in its 8 dedicated MIDI Tracks. If you like to work with other Synths, the DT is a great drum machine (+ extras) and a great Sequencer for your other toys.

1 Like

exactly, it also makes it easier to rotate gear if your getting bored lol ive already switched this setup around so much lol amazing how nothing stays permanent in a home studio

Hybrid configuration music / family meal…

21 Likes

Do you know what main functionality/differences the Digitakt has over the Rytm sequencing external gear?

1 Like

Business travel setup.

Getting that repetitive snare right it’s more effective against jetlag than sleeping pills.

19 Likes

Short answer imo: DT is designed to be immediate and fun. It shines when you’re jamming or not any to come up with ideas quickly and spontaneously without too much preparation. It sounds good and rather neutral I would say - your samples sound pretty much as you put them in. It also surpasses Rytm in e.g. ctrl all, MIDI sequencer, 2 LFOs. And a better song mode nowadays.

Rytm on the other hand is bigger and deeper. It imprints its own sound on the samples, makes them sound dirtier and more analog. Has analog drive and compressor as well, so you can double down on that. It’s less immediate and rewards preparation. That is true for sound design as well as performance. It has performance controls that can make crazy things easy with just one knob (or several pads). But you need to set these up yourself. On DT you use ctrl all for that, which can give you lots of happy accidents, but less fine tuned control. Rytm also has kits, on DT sounds are saves per pattern. This can be a plus or minus. If you want to record a pattern chain where you continuously manipulate one sound, that’s easy on Rytm and hard on DT. But it means saving is a bit more stressful. Rytm only has 1 LFO, but of course also an analog synth for drums and also bass/leads.

It all comes down to your workflow preferences I’d say. If analog engine/sound and precise preparation of performance is not that important to you, I would go with DT. That being said, there is more or less a DT inside Rytm and then some on top. Overall vibe is that DT is more for people who want to have fun and Rytm for producers, although of course both can be used for both.

4 Likes

These controls :

2 Likes