Your Setups (Part 1)

Nice… Keeping it just to the point where the amount of gear is not overwhelming you is key.

1 Like

My current Setup. I own the Elektrons for a longer time, the Eurorack grows since two years. Very happy with all the world’s I can dive into.

20 Likes

Thanks for the tag @Annihilation_Squares :black_heart:
Cheers too @whikidazz

Funnily enough i was looking at the Digitakt specs over the weekend as was at a show and there were a lot of Digitakts being used, although all as minor parts in the sets.

I’ve never really looked massively into how it compares to the Rytm MK2, it would be handy actually if the website did a comparison chart, and interesting that that didn’t. I guess Elektron feel it’s less upgrade and more standalone instruments or something?

I definitely like the cute size of the Digitakt but it definitely has a few less things that makes me feel happy to have picked the Rytm. Still, I’ve never used a Digitakt, and I’m sure they are pretty cool.

I wonder that the depth that seems required in Elektron boxes to get something interesting is either harder to do on Digitakt without needing extra boxes, or they have factored that in through the design?

Id say, as with all this stuff, get what sounds good or probably worth considering, more what should sound good or has the potential to sound good. The Rytm took me ages to gel with it, but i think i was being an idiot with it honestly :joy:

Coming from, and still using various Akai as my main samplers, 1gb is so much space for me. I think my S2800 is like 11 secs or something crazy so short sample’s with filters, env and an LFO can keep me going for ages.

For me, the strength of the DT resides in its 8 dedicated MIDI Tracks. If you like to work with other Synths, the DT is a great drum machine (+ extras) and a great Sequencer for your other toys.

1 Like

exactly, it also makes it easier to rotate gear if your getting bored lol ive already switched this setup around so much lol amazing how nothing stays permanent in a home studio

Hybrid configuration music / family meal…

21 Likes

Do you know what main functionality/differences the Digitakt has over the Rytm sequencing external gear?

1 Like

Business travel setup.

Getting that repetitive snare right it’s more effective against jetlag than sleeping pills.

19 Likes

Short answer imo: DT is designed to be immediate and fun. It shines when you’re jamming or not any to come up with ideas quickly and spontaneously without too much preparation. It sounds good and rather neutral I would say - your samples sound pretty much as you put them in. It also surpasses Rytm in e.g. ctrl all, MIDI sequencer, 2 LFOs. And a better song mode nowadays.

Rytm on the other hand is bigger and deeper. It imprints its own sound on the samples, makes them sound dirtier and more analog. Has analog drive and compressor as well, so you can double down on that. It’s less immediate and rewards preparation. That is true for sound design as well as performance. It has performance controls that can make crazy things easy with just one knob (or several pads). But you need to set these up yourself. On DT you use ctrl all for that, which can give you lots of happy accidents, but less fine tuned control. Rytm also has kits, on DT sounds are saves per pattern. This can be a plus or minus. If you want to record a pattern chain where you continuously manipulate one sound, that’s easy on Rytm and hard on DT. But it means saving is a bit more stressful. Rytm only has 1 LFO, but of course also an analog synth for drums and also bass/leads.

It all comes down to your workflow preferences I’d say. If analog engine/sound and precise preparation of performance is not that important to you, I would go with DT. That being said, there is more or less a DT inside Rytm and then some on top. Overall vibe is that DT is more for people who want to have fun and Rytm for producers, although of course both can be used for both.

4 Likes

These controls :

2 Likes

That’s useful. Nice! I figured it must be something like that, it was a bolt on for the Rytm.

@Azzarole It’s probably worth mentioning here, the Rytm also has Control In 1&2, so you can use internal sounds or external to modulate up-to 8 destinations, including the source itself for modulating the modulator, so that 1 LFO limitation has a best friend to help out.

2 Likes

You mean using its individual outs, right? I didn’t know or really checked that Rytm had two control inputs! A4 would actually be even better but I want to get a drum machine at some point which has individual outs and some control ins or at least a clock in. That’s why I was considering the LXR-2 which is much more budget and I quite like its sound palette, fast workflow but those control ins of Rytm and the intuitive way of sampling, resampling make the Rytm a really versatile machine. A bit expensive though…

I mean you can create some weird fm stuff by using the control ins and changing the sound that you use as modulation source would directly affect that fm thing… Ever evolving fm sound… Cool!

1 Like

Yeah individual output to Control In. I believe the same is possible with the A4 as that has like 4 individual outputs i think?

It’s probably more AM not FM being audio modulation tbh. I definitely call it FM more than I should :joy:

1 Like

Current do-it-all setup. Drambo hosting Koala for sampling, and Loopy Pro for capturing audio loops.

Using a few custom layouts on the LPP for controlling Koala and its pads, and the Faderfox is mostly for track selection in Drambo, with knobs mapped to Koala’s FX.

One neat feature of Loopy Pro is that it automatically grabs and maps to the Session view on the Launchpad, even when Loopy is a hosted AU. This means I can grab a loop at any time, no matter what’s showing on the iPad.

19 Likes

Yeah nevermind, am or fm, the idea sounds good :slight_smile: but now I need to find a cheap or B-Stock Rytm MK2… I don’t want to sell the beautiful Nord Modular to fund it though…

And yeah A4 would be even more versatile as it also has cv outs with their own sequencers but I think I’d like to keep things simple. I need a normal drum machine, not synth anyway.

1 Like

not sure if this is the right thread, but can anyone recommend a good under desk tray for your midi controllers/synths?

I bought the hardware mechanism and put my own piece of wood with custom dimensions. For the hardware, I think almost anything will do.

3 Likes

I thought I’d share this shitty photo so you can see how congested it is behind a camera for when I do a video.

12 Likes

TR-909 in tha house!

4 Likes

Yeah it’s a beaut

3 Likes