Your Setups (Part 1)

where do i get a rug like that? i’m gonna get 5 or 6.

2 Likes

ok it’s not a real setup yet, for now the OT is paired with the Vermona drm1 and an a4 that I will soon replace with the Perfourmer (MD, arp and se1 I have to buy them). the final project is a bit larger but this is what will almost certainly become my favorite hobby. I am looking for advice from those who have more experience than me, the biggest doubt is the lack of a real poly synth (p4m can be a four voice poly but maybe something more is missing). what could be the missing timbre in a setup like this? from the percussion point of view I think I’m okay, from the fatness of the vermona to the freak of the MD. the Arp I was lucky enough to use a mk3 of the time for some time and I liked the tone very much. se1 I’ve never used it but from what I’ve heard it seems to me a moog with a few more functions and the possibility of changing filters is interesting.

6 Likes

I am curious of your choice of an RME. Do you mix with plugins? Or do you have a lot of outboard? I am stuck between going UAD for the DSP for mixing VS RMEs conversion. I am curious on how you mix your tracks as i find your setup very well thought out and appealing.

1 Like

Thanks ! I did put a lot of thought into it ahah. I had the RME before that and it was my main interface for a while but when I moved and upgraded a bit of everything and decided to switch to multitracking I got the Motu 16a which is now my main interface. I kept the Fireface UC, it’s linked to to the 16A via adat so I have more inputs (especially mic inputs which the 16a doesn’t have). All of my FX (the three pedals) and outboard (rack unit) are set up as external instruments from Ableton so that eats physical ins/out fast. Set up like this I only have the 2 mic input on the RME free, which is quite handy since they are on the front and I can plug anything I want, be it a microphone when I do youtube videos or a channel from the modular that I want separate when I record.

I use a mix of plug-ins and my rack unit when mixing, whatever works !

Also I finally put up mini shelves on the wall ! Should have done that aeons ago.

25 Likes

How you like the 16a? Any issues?
Thinking of ditching my 828es for one

1 Like

Forever a work in progress. So much pleasure. So much peace and so much chaos. I love it.

22 Likes

No issues, it works fine. Sound quality is great, it’s plug and play basically. The online software is basic and well done, it doesn’t do your head in like Totalmix. I use all the ins, half the outs and one adat input and it doesn’t flinch. I also use it with CV tools since it’s dc coupled; it’s sending a clock pulse to the modular.

1 Like

Some views and audio sketches from the bedroom corner. Sold some stuff, tidied and recabled, plugged in a new Zed14. You should never say your setup is finished but…

Could do with a warm lamp or striplight or two instead of the harsh grey light of Manchester though!

36 Likes

Definitely not finished, I see gaps. :wink:

4 Likes

Haha - deliberate, a full table fries my brain!
There is more gear that could fill the gaps of course.

I purposely put OT and Rytm only on the front row - these two are the centrepiece, it makes me focus everything else through them.

4 Likes

Yeah, OT+Rytm+one good Synth can do more than we ever need. Everything else is for the gas god! :wink:

4 Likes

It’s true! Really I could/should manage with those two and the Virus, but then 303, FM, analogue poly and the craziness of Evolver are all options on the table. I compromise by not turning everything on each time I sit down.

4 Likes

Haha, cat=loving life

How do you get on with the Yamahas so close to the wall? Ive got the same speakers.

Yeah I’m sure it’s far from ideal, but they sound good to me. Mostly I’m using headphones anyway because of kids, I put the monitors on when I fancy bashing things out loud or if I’m playing records.

2 Likes

apparently if you’re stuck in a room and can’t customize it perfectly using large distances from the wall, acoustic treatment and sub woofers, etc… the best option is just slamming them against the wall - but not actually touching it - and then treating around them.

there’s a reason a lot of pro studios just build 'em into the walls, I guess. see here:

(I don’t claim to be a pro on this subject by any means, just referencing a reputable source I’ve seen recently.)

5 Likes

That’s interesting, I’d assumed my placement was just poor but sounds like I got at least half of it right (I don’t have any treatment in the room unless you count a bed and wardrobe!).
They certainly sound good to me anyway - I am also no pro on this. I’m still thinking about adding the HS8s sub to them.

I just escaped Eurorackistan and changed my setup again. I didn’t find the time to use it properly. Now I have my beloved OT MK2 and the Pro3 & Prophet 12. I want a DT for drums and stuff to reclaim a track on the ot. So far I love my setup. I think it’s here to stay…

26 Likes

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I like that chord chart poster, cool colors and nice visual representation of that information.

7 Likes

Yeah where did you get that