Your setups [ 10k Archive]

That is a dope setup. A very nice selection of gears. Seems like you’ve got a nice combination of deep elektron machines as well as some very nice and varied knob per function monos and polys. Do you play them all at once?

Going minimal for a few weeks as i learn this gem:

23 Likes

Here is my setup, after cleaning all excessive gear.

33 Likes

Yes.

8 Likes

Impressive!

1 Like

Check out his test equipment/oscillator videos. Tons of ideas on how to use esoteric gear like that.

1 Like

Everything is synced together. DT is the Master sending Pattern Change to the other Elektron’s and sending Program Change to the Synths. I usually choose 2 main units to compose (AR+A4, DT+DN) but I don’t restrain myself to add any layer from any other device. I think of it like in a DAW where you can always add a layer when you have an idea (slow wind transition, filter sweep tansition, add an acid sound, …). I also have 2 specialized focused devices : NDLR and Subharmonicon.

1 Like

can you push back the lower 2 layers on your desk or do you have extreemly long arms?

How is the SP16 in terms of sequencing, how does it compare to DT/OT?

I’m on the fence about buying an OT, seems like a lot of cash for 4 outs, to me. I’m seeing SP16’s for £600 now here and there, 2nd hand.

Some people say, “He’s got four extra arms and that he can move knobs with his mind!” All we know is he’s called the Tchu!

3 Likes

I wouldn’t rely on the SP as your main sequencer. Rudimentary at best compared to Elektrons. BUT… used alongside of any modern Elektron box it brings a lot to the table. Sound quality is the big thing, plus ease of use and long stereo samples. Some of the fx are brilliant also, and the assignable stereo filter can be resampled internally so effectively you have 16 of em :slight_smile:

There is also a rare (highly subjective) quality that it has, that I’ve only ever experienced in a few samplers over the last 30 years: things sound better coming out of it than they do going in. Converters, gain staging, special sauce maybe? Never felt that way with the OT, for instance. DT slightly. Only Emax/SP1200, ASR-10 and some MPCs (at least for percussion) ever really gave me that feeling.

There is a rather exhaustive SP thread on here that goes into serious detail concerning the pros and cons.

1 Like

Only the lowest one. And it’s an electric table, it goes up and down. It has Presets on it too.

1 Like

do you like the DT with the OT. would you ever have gotten a Rytm?

1 Like

Had fun using various hardware setups the last few months (mostly combinations of Machinedrum, Monomachine, Digitakt and Digitone), but now I’m feeling the urge to be productive again and have found Ableton + Monomachine is the perfect hybrid setup for me. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Lucky!
I wish I had 6 arms and no skin!

5 Likes

He actually has a hammock that hangs above the gear, in which lies face down hovering horizontally over the gear… obviously :kissing_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

you know, there are cheaper keyboard stands than a Machinedrum and Slim Phatty…

1 Like

The Reface keyboard just fits so perfectly on the Machinedrum box though :wink:

You should think about cloning the construction from Mission:Impossible

1 Like

I bought the DT first but immediately realized that p-locking samples wasn’t the workflow for me, so I purchased an OT for its slicing and sampling capabilities. I make sample-based 2 bar loops from vinyl a la golden era 90’s hip-hop, so the lack of slicing in the AR is what deterred me from that purchase. I think the angled stand is lovely and would like to see how the pads feel, but I think it might be a bit too much for my needs as a drum machine. I initially bought the DT to be my all-in-one sampler/drum machine, but the Elektron workflow consumed both my life and wallet, and now I couldn’t be happier.

1 Like