Your preferred non303 synths/filters for 303 type sounds?

Novation Bass Station II in acid-action:

3 Likes

I agree, I love my microvolt 3900 for those types of sounds.

I tried Loquelic + Ripples + optodist:

2 Likes

I just recorded this jam with the Circuit Mono Station. Had been working on acid sounds in the past days.

Starts with saw oscillator and just a touch of internal distortion. H9 and Space are used for reverb and delay.

At around 3.00 I bring in osc 2 (saw) with an additional paraphonic melody.
Around 4.00 I turn up the internal distortion.
Around 4.30 I switch osc 1 to square wave.
Around 6.15 I switch distortion to external Analog Drive.

(Thereā€™s a bad buzz audible in the end tail. While recording this I noticed the AD has a groundloop(?) problem with my MOTU audio interface.)

2 Likes

Might be useful to some. Im still refining it.

9 Likes

not badā€¦ I do feel like envelope curve on the filter is offā€¦ maybe if you apply an LFO in one shot mode to the envelope on the filter you can make it get a little snappier? Its kind of the advantage I found on the digitakt is that you can sample sort of the median zap from a different synth you can use the filter on the digitakt to soften or insinuate it with resonance and get a really nice curve on the actual zap of the filter.

Dominion 1 can get there

Can anyone name the synth doing the acid line in this? My guess is the MS 20, but canā€™t be sure. Not a great recording, but I love this track - and the acid line all the more interesting because itā€™s clearly not a 303. At 5 mins, Mr Martin opens up the filter.

3 Likes

Just did a quick test with my System-1m:

Square wave towards the end.

1 Like

thatā€™s cool. is it the native sys1 engine? How have you programmed it? I didnā€™t think the portamento was constant time, as it sounds to be on here.

As this thread is live again.
ā€¦
Since the thread started you can now get a td3 for Ā£90 so if you can Iā€™d go for grabbing one and being able to easily achieve the sound instead of pending hours trying to figure it out.

Convenient , instant sound , built in sequencer ā€¦

1 Like

analog: MAM MB-33 Retro.
itā€™s the smallest it this class.
it has simple and clear MIDI implementation.
it blends square and saw.
it screams really wildly with overdrive / amp sim.

virtual analog: Electribe 2.
it has really really good acid (303) filter emulation, moreover ā€” highpass and bandpass types of this filter.
sequencer is not really there (no accents), but with some fiddling, the job can be done.
and for those who prefers MS20 filter ā€” itā€™s there too!

1 Like

IMO there is no substitute for a 303 (or good clone) to do 303 work. However, there are some amazing bassline instruments out there. I just wouldnā€™t try to shoehorn it in, in place of a 303 if thatā€™s the sound I wanted. There really is nothing like it.

My favorite alternative so far has to be the Erica DB-01. It basslines LIKE a 303, but is so far removed from being a 303 that itā€™s at least 90% complementary.

1 Like

I got myself a future retro revolution last fall. Itā€™s made its way on to a couple tracks so far. Not a great 303 emulator but a good acid unit still. Itā€™s a lot more flexible though.

Actually now that I think of it I bought it the day before the TD3 was announced. Initially I was disappointed given the price difference between the two. I do like it but if I had any complaints it would be the size and the blue LEDs.

The System80 Jove filter is incredible if you are into modular. Based off the Jupiter 6. Mylar Melodies does an excellent demo of this.

Though with TD3 you get a synth that can only do 303 sounds. I think this thread is for people who like more versatile synths to do something 303-ish.

1 Like

I honestly donā€™t know why everyone doesnā€™t own an Erica Synths Bassline DB-01. It can do squelchy 303ā€™s with slides, it can do nasty distorted sounds, and it can do clean, rubbery grooves that you will never see on youtube. It seems kind of basic at first, but you end up getting so many gradations of rhythm using the standard tricks. I recently acquired two Boomstars (which iā€™m in love with) and the little DB-01 still often ends up stealing the show. iā€™m not doing it justice here. itā€™s tons of fun.

6 Likes

indeed I didnā€™t find a nice demo of it yet. All I heard sounded pretty harsh

2 Likes

Polivoks Pro :heart:

1 Like

Accents can be done via step edit mode no? At least they could on the old EMX1.
Electribes still rule!