Your preferred non303 synths/filters for 303 type sounds?

in general — yes, but different way.
EMX-1 has accent track, but no velocity sensitivity/modulation.
E2 has velocity sensitivity/modulation, but no accent track.

because it’s a bit on expensive side, so not for everyone.
but yes, i would love to add it to my rig someday.

1 Like

I think when given the option, people tend to go crazy on the wave shaping (BBD) overdrive, resonance first, and don’t grasp the subtleties until later. The DB-01 is quite capable of mellow tones, and big, soft basses. It also makes a very nice mono-synth in general. Unfortunately I had to sell mine a while back, but it’s on my short list of “reacquire” synths.

1 Like

Acid never dies.

MC-202 and Pro-One are fantastic for acid. I know I’m odd but the sequencer in the MC-202 is part of its charm.

1 Like

I sent Gary Martin a message via Soundcloud and the good man got back to me. He used an original Bass Station on this track!

I reckon the Typhon is a new contender on the block.

2 Likes

I’m pretty fond of the sound of a Virus B or Nord Lead doing acid. Has that 90s bigbeat or hardtrance sound to it.

1 Like

I‘m thinking about a moog werkstatt. Miss the mother 32 and the werkstatt sounds very close. these moog filters are very nice for acid lines. Also love some audio rate lfo modulation to get the filter talking for these kind of sequences

Oooh yeah

I recently switched on my SidStation and the first preset (non factory I think) was a pretty decent 303. The filter does a really good job at it.

My Eurorack is in my studio so I cannot demonstrate it now, but QPAS is excellent for morphing and warbly acid style processing, and it is even stereo :slight_smile:

For some reason i’ve never really heard much about the Monotribe (except in this forum) and know nothing about it. A quick googling shows that it had some niche popularity. Reverb shows the price of used ones steadily increasing. When did Korg discontinue it? Do you have any idea why? What is its signature feature that makes people fond of it?

recently considered picking up a tb-03 but realized the typhon can totally get into that acid territory. i also have an se-02 that can probably get there if i spent more time with it. for the money. the typhon is a very good option for this type of sound and more.

1 Like

Its the pre-volca cheap-and-cheerful analog device by Korg. It was pretty much the first mass market ‘new analog’ synth.

Its got a bit of a following because of its dedicated mod scene and nifty little sequencer.

So the Motas-6 has a 303 inspired filter in it which sounds very nice but then I think its other filter is also equally as nice for acid… Anyway, I recently had the idea to try and model the accent of the 303 with the Motas and generally get close to the original sound so I did and made a little recording of the results.

It starts of with just some of the more classic sounds and then moves on through alternative sounds that can be had with the patch by adding various other features of the Motas to the mix.

5 Likes

Not bad at all! Does it have a time-based slide, (as opposed to rate) or are you doing a bit of trickery there too?

1 Like

Thanks!

No trickery with the slides, it’s just legato portamento which is on the time setting but there is also an option for rate if you need it.

I’ve already realized a few things that I could’ve done better with it, but I’m hoping that a few things can be added in an update which will make it so much better at doing accents.

1 Like

I own a 303 and clones, and a synthesizer surprisingly good to do similar sounds is all the synths based on the SID chip from Commodore 64

2 Likes

Monotribe just sounds really good, but it had only an 8 step sequencer (an update expanded that to 16 steps), that ribbon keyboard ain’t fun either.
No envelope controls, just a three way switch to choose from env with attack, env with decay and env with sustain.

Also the Monotribe produces an audible clicking sound (due to amp env cutting audio), which can be modded, though.

IIRC when Korg released the update that allows to sequence the Monotribe from CV/Gate (needs a special cable, because the sync input is used for CV/Gate) it was already discontinued.
The Monotribe has some nice analog drum sounds, but without modding, there’s no control over the drums.

What is actually really cool, if you program a sequence into its sequencer, you can advance through the sequence with a trigger signal into the sync in (sample the Monotribes trigger out and you can use that in your sampler or daw).
Everytime it receives a trigger, it will play the next step. Send in straight 1/16th and you got the original sequence, send in straight 1/8th and the sequence plays half time, shuffle around the trigger notes to transform the sequence into something entirely different or add swing etc.

My fav non 303 for 303 type sounds are Shruthi with SMR4mk2 filter, Monotribe, Octatrack filter with single cycle wavs and Analog Keys.

2 Likes

I dig the monotribe. I modded mine to reduce the click. I actually like the drum sounds.

Man I totally forgot about the octatrack 303 thing! Haha its not bad actually :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like the NuBass o.k., but what sounds better is the old volca bass with the filter fully open and played through an Akai MFC 42 analog filter. It has a snappy envelope, a distortion circuit to boot.

It is a dual filter so i have it passing through a low pass with the envelope triggered by the DT, then back in through the 2nd filter set to high pass…benifit is that the signal hits the distortion circuit twice…

MC-101 & MC-707 with my sound pack :wink:

6 Likes