Your preferred non303 synths/filters for 303 type sounds?

Not bad at all! Does it have a time-based slide, (as opposed to rate) or are you doing a bit of trickery there too?

1 Like

Thanks!

No trickery with the slides, it’s just legato portamento which is on the time setting but there is also an option for rate if you need it.

I’ve already realized a few things that I could’ve done better with it, but I’m hoping that a few things can be added in an update which will make it so much better at doing accents.

1 Like

I own a 303 and clones, and a synthesizer surprisingly good to do similar sounds is all the synths based on the SID chip from Commodore 64

2 Likes

Monotribe just sounds really good, but it had only an 8 step sequencer (an update expanded that to 16 steps), that ribbon keyboard ain’t fun either.
No envelope controls, just a three way switch to choose from env with attack, env with decay and env with sustain.

Also the Monotribe produces an audible clicking sound (due to amp env cutting audio), which can be modded, though.

IIRC when Korg released the update that allows to sequence the Monotribe from CV/Gate (needs a special cable, because the sync input is used for CV/Gate) it was already discontinued.
The Monotribe has some nice analog drum sounds, but without modding, there’s no control over the drums.

What is actually really cool, if you program a sequence into its sequencer, you can advance through the sequence with a trigger signal into the sync in (sample the Monotribes trigger out and you can use that in your sampler or daw).
Everytime it receives a trigger, it will play the next step. Send in straight 1/16th and you got the original sequence, send in straight 1/8th and the sequence plays half time, shuffle around the trigger notes to transform the sequence into something entirely different or add swing etc.

My fav non 303 for 303 type sounds are Shruthi with SMR4mk2 filter, Monotribe, Octatrack filter with single cycle wavs and Analog Keys.

2 Likes

I dig the monotribe. I modded mine to reduce the click. I actually like the drum sounds.

Man I totally forgot about the octatrack 303 thing! Haha its not bad actually :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like the NuBass o.k., but what sounds better is the old volca bass with the filter fully open and played through an Akai MFC 42 analog filter. It has a snappy envelope, a distortion circuit to boot.

It is a dual filter so i have it passing through a low pass with the envelope triggered by the DT, then back in through the 2nd filter set to high pass…benifit is that the signal hits the distortion circuit twice…

MC-101 & MC-707 with my sound pack :wink:

6 Likes

Doing a sort of 303 ish thing with the syntrx, no glides because I am sequencing it with midi but the filter has so really great sweet spots for this sort of thing. Now I am waiting for someone to post there synthi 100 doing some 303… I know you guys all have those hidden in your closets.

5 Likes

Sorry to revive an old post but I’m keen on trying to get these types of sounds out of my A4 too,. What’s the ‘SV’ filter and which type does it correspond to? A4 manual and google didn’t help out on this one!

EDIT: Sorry can see it’s the LP filter type, I’m just not sure what SV filter means on the A4.

this is honestly so damn impressive still a year later! Been thinking of an MC101 as a classic roland sound module and this tips the scale towards a yes;)

I have a TD3, and it’s just not worth the size and weight added to my liveset given the single sound function it has. Already have a Minitaur and Digitone which both can acid a little bit, but can’t get into that resonant territory.

2 Likes

the smallest (and really good sounding) analog machine of this kind is MAM MB-33 Retro, i believe.
but it does not have internal sequencer.

PS. when it comes to digital 303 emulations – A Force Truly Evil – From Goa To Psytrance pack for Novation Circuit has about a dozen of very cool acid presets (mostly of overdriven/screaming kind).

1 Like

SV is filter 2 (State Variable) with type set to the steeper 2 pole lowpass, aka the first one. HTH.

1 Like

I’ve found the Matrixbrute to do acidity pretty well. Not the most practical option though if you just need it for this.

I feel that the more central tie and slide functionally helps a lot, besides a resonant filter. Something that for me worked less natural on the A4.

1 Like

I went in the store intending to leave with the lil Roland boutique 303 guy, but I left with the Korg Monologue. Pretty close in price, keyboard, and another oscillator? YEP. I’m not a huge stickler for “authentic” 303 sound, I just wanted to rip some acid lines and have a good time doing it. Plus the monologue is just a great synth for tons of stuff. Sequencer is also really easy to work with, so I spend most of my time with it whipping up and tweaking evil basses.

2 Likes

It is.

Slides are nothing like a 303 but definitely a keeper. I hope they build a mk2. I’d like two sequencer lanes and a motion-recordable delay please Korg :nerd_face:

@robotron you might be interested in this one:

Sorry for shameless plug… :blush:

Are you using the the ladder filter or the Steiner-Parker for acid sound?

I’ll check it out and plug away!

OOH I put that on my AK and then flipped it. Time to get it on the A4. Thanks!

1 Like

i was always really happy with the gnarly acid lines i could get out of my Korg MS-10…