Your most basic and most used sample pack

My most basic and most used sample pack is one I made myself.

I had a bunch of unfinished tracks in reason, so I rendered a stereo wav of 16 bars from each track. I did this when I bought the machine 5 years ago.

I have been chopping and mashing those sample samples ever since. I rarely use one shots, unless I make them myself.

I have downloaded a few folders of one shot drums, I just dont seem to use them. I prefer using longer samples and seeing what can be found.

1 Like

Been a good few recommendations already in the thread Iā€™d have to heartily agree withā€¦ Goldbaby and Samples From Mars in particular. Iā€™d also recommend ā€˜op1samplesā€™ from bandcamp - a ton of synth one shots from a whole slew of classic (and rare!!) synths - https://op-1samples.bandcamp.com/ - great value for money too.

Puremagnetik also have a load of sample packs - mostly as Ableton Live format - if you can fight your way past the 15,000 granular delay plugins they seem to be obsessed with of late. Anyway, you should be able to get access to the samples within the Live packs easily enough.

There also a few intrepid Elektronauts whoā€™ve got some excellent samples available (and itā€™s great to be able to support the fine folks of this parish):

Vague Robots - https://gumroad.com/0fdigital/
Druma from darenager - https://payhip.com/b/U7wA
Drumatix and TT606 from adamjay - https://replicantsounds.com/sample-packs/

Iā€™ve been slowly building up a curate set of samples for my DT over the years Iā€™ve had it and all of that stuff has been well deserving of their place on there.

2 Likes

Also interesting to me, but sorry if this strays us off topic, is thinking about sample management. Thereā€™s different ways to go, to each there own, but it can be good to think about a system from early on. You could stick with folders of the original packs, if you can remember their identities. SĆ³me packs, if theyā€™re really good and coherent I do keep together completely. But for many other packs, I often select and move the one-shot samples I used and liked to a favorites folder. That way you start selecting your own basic / bread and butter pack with drums you like.

Or save the ones youā€™ve used and tweaked into something you really like onto one of the ā€œSoundsā€ banks, compiling your favorites there.

4 Likes

Samples from Mars. I bought their whole collection when it was for sale (something like 30-40 euro?!)
Insane value. You can really tell itā€™s a labor of love. I like that you get the wave files but also Ableton Drum racks etc.
Cured my gas for getting a vintage drummachine/clone of the usual suspects forever.

I also have a big collection of classic breaks sampled from vinyl somewhere from the web that I use a lot.

2 Likes
5 Likes

I have to say I get a ton of usage from the Elektron 2323 pack with my M:S

Other than that I also like the Riemann techno stuff:
https://www.loopmasters.com/genres/40-Techno/products/7029-Riemann-Techno-Drums-2

2 Likes

I use the Wave Alchemy Drum Tools 2 and SYS-100 drum packs a lot. Theyā€™re pretty big (esp Drum Tools 2), come in different flavours of processing, and cover most of the bases that I need.

1 Like

Paul Godfrey from Morcheeba is selling a breaks pack. Afaik heā€™s just doing it direct. Ā£20 I didnā€™t buy it so I canā€™t comment :stuck_out_tongue: Iā€™m sure thereā€™s loads of good feedback though. 7gb.

3 Likes

SYS-100 lib is lovely!

2 Likes

Hey there, thank you for all the helpful answers.
Decided for the Samples from Mars pack for now and have the feeling, that will keep me packed for the next years.

1 Like

I use samples from A Bit Deeper. This one especially.

2 Likes

Wow, Future Music, thatā€™s a blast from the past.
In the mid-90ā€™s onwards for several years, i struggled to pass a newsagent shop without going in and checking out the magazines, i did have Sound on Sound mag on subscription for a while but pretty much anything related to Electronic or Dance Music i would but.
I was like a sponge soaking up the info and reading the interviews with producers etc, plus salivating over equipment i wouldnā€™t be able to afford until at least into the early 2000ā€™s.
I was also a massive Drum 'n Bass fan, ambient stuff like Good Looking and i also have the Blu mar ten jungle samples, although in the early day, i spent an awful lot of time making my own samples.
Recording into Cool Edit Pro (remember that?), from the MS2000R or the Emu Proteus 2000, etc and mangling some of the samples with FX, the filters on Cool Edit werenā€™t to be sneered at, they were quite powerful.
I programmed a lot of stuff in Logic, drum loops i made and other stuff until some 20 years later, i have quite a massive sample folder, with all sorts of stuff in there and iā€™m adding to it all the time.
Iā€™m sure iā€™ll be sampling noises from the MicroKorg and the Minilogue soon, i havenā€™t had them long and been very busy with other things outside of music for the last year or so but now i can get stuck into making some reasonable musicā€¦hopefully. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

You canā€™t beat making your own sample packs . Iā€™m getting my moneys worth out of RX7 currently on just this

1 Like

I have it. Itā€™s good. A lot of processing for some sounds and dry for others. It sounds like the breaks we sample without the copyright strike

Thatā€™s very true Cornish, at least no-one can accuse you of using their samplesā€¦although a while back i did have an issue with CD-Baby when one of their contributors complained i had used some of theirs but i had proof that some of the samples i made back in 2002, so that was sorted pretty quick.

2 Likes

I switch between a lot of packs that are mostly from the early 90s, but I think if there was a counter on the times I opened a samplepack in the last year or so, then Jungle Jungle would be leading the way for me too since I got it.

Free, but read the terms if you make music professionally https://www.blumarten.com/product/junglejungle-free-sample-pack/

3 Likes

Ah, just scrolling back and see you mentioned Jungle Jungle first. I didnā€™t realise I used this pack so much until I hit the DJS for the first time in a few months a couple of days back.

1 Like

Iā€™m a DJS user too! Such a great machine for jamming samples on .

1 Like

some great tips in here! I used to sample my own drum kits from vinyl but itā€™s just so time consuming. Lately Iā€™ve been using the free drum sounds from RealDrumSamples.com. Recently I got the Line of Legends pack as well. Best pack Iā€™ve heard so far.

Tube Drums Hits from Samplephonics is my usual starting point for downtempo hiphop kinda stuff; I really love most of their deep acoustic kicks and their crisp snares.
edit: it was a free download sample pack when I got it