Your favorite crossfader moves

What are your TOP THREE (ish) favorite, go-to, crossfader scenes?

Mine i guess:
comb filter on master
LP/HP filters on master
Rtrg/Rtim on individual tracks to get the granular/glitch sounds.

Looking forward to hearing yours (there are of course tons of threads on this. But im hoping to hear from members active right now, if thats ok?)

——————————————————-
Back story:)
I Almost broke up with my Octatrack, not for dislike but because it didnt fit spatially in my setup and I wanted to downsize, anyways. In the process the analog Heat left.

Then i recently was doing the final listen of songs im uploading to streaming services. I heard the OT on those tracks and realized NO WAY im letting that baby go! And then, now that the heat is gone, lo and behold, i had the perfect spot for the OT (with no extra room to spare) on my stage setup (that is my studio setup that maybe leaves once a year:)).

So im reinvigorated to go to a deeper level with the OT.

Ive figured out how to “plays free” longer vocal phrases.

I rewatched the LFO playing
random but predictable slices via setting slices at midpoint, lfo src is src start, wave is saw, trig is sync trig and depth at half ish the number of slices.

I learned the fun of changing timestretch rate to timestretch as a different type of granular sound.

Ok im done!

I was gonna say ‘left to right,’ but then you went all in-depth like that.

…so… I do really like having a third, fourth, and fifth note set with the comb filter and will modify samples that way as the jam unfolds. (Other chords, too, at times, but you can’t go wrong with a good ol’ 4 and 5 chord)

6 Likes

Hahaha! That is the best move by far!

1 Like

Delay send (with infinte feedback) to capture loops.

LoFi AMF/AMD.

LFO depths, speeds.

Chorus/flanger feedback/sends

Slice (obviously)

3 Likes

One thing I like to use scenes for is transposing notes/chords, but that’s not really a crossfader thing so much except for some 303 type slides.
Retrigs, delays and comb filtering for sure.
Thanks for starting this thread! Looking forward to what folks say about it

3 Likes
  • Fade from live audio input to resampled version on flex track.
  • pitch and/or rate and/or comb filter, combined with just tapping the track trigger to live play glitchy melodies.
  • Pitch + rate to transform live-sampled guitar parts.

Edit: Great thread idea btw. Hoping to get some ideas from it!

3 Likes

Still my main use:

7 Likes

Oh yeah this looks fun.

And the tips and tricks thread clancy points to is loaded with other amazing ideas. So i will read those 326 posts as well….although ive read it before:). I think it’s the type of thread to re-read.

Just after clancys post, @tsutek describes a xfade scratching technique that i will also try.

1 Like
  • Transition trick
  • Depth of random lfo to slice number
  • Delay send and time with very low time settings for glitch effects
3 Likes

Blank
Sends
LFOs

1 Like

Set crossfader to mix or isolate 3 different samples (left, middle, right). At 1m05s

Randomize scene with Fn+Yes
(Have to do a video)

Assign crossfader to scenes. :loopy:

9 Likes

…i love to adress slices via the crossfader…
…and to fool around with combfilter settings on single machine slots…

and i always make B scenes for travelling with the crossfader…
while A scenes always funtion as a snapshot status…A1 one is always naked…
various other A scenes are various sonic fixed status realtime reports, i can switch on and off…by simply activating/deactivating A scene button…or by jumping back to naked A1…
first 8 are always A scenes…9 to 16 are always B scenes…
ot needs lot’s of strict rules u define once to stick with strictly…
the more confident u are with such rules U set for urself, the more sonic potential can be harvested…
otherwise the point of getting lost is always near… :wink:

4 Likes

…and ooops and wow…how do u adress various scenes at once to the crossfader…?

1 Like

Guessing some kind of MIDI loopback?

2 Likes

Setting multiple B scenes. Then holding down the B key and playing scenes like a piano while crossfading. :robot:

3 Likes

and a midi converter :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ok, im excited to try a bunch of these.

How/what are you doing with sends?

Never tought I’d be wanting an OT before watching that. I dont thank you.

3 Likes

whoa.

3 Likes

Yeah, @sezare56, we’re going to need an explanation for that one with the scenes on the crossfader :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes