Your Commitment to Releasing Something in 2022

I would love to “release” something in 2022. I have no idea HOW. Like, what counts as released? More than Current Sounds, right?

Now i’m thining “EP” as in, not many songs. So…

• pick my N favourite/“best” noodles,
  • “finish” them (whatever that means??)
  • And then something something bandcamp?

Some 'nauts are quite prolific in releasing EPs and Albums on bandcamp, so they must have a process for how to go from noodle->ep. I have the threee steps above…but OK. I want to release an EP in 2022, ideally, first half

5 Likes

Sounds like you need to define “finished” for yourself first.
After that I’d say release one finished song. Then evaluate the process, then maybe try to release EP.

From what you wrote that seems like route that could fit for you

5 Likes

Agreed. And like @loopdude wrote, you can decide what ”finished” means for you. Personally, I’ve shared anything from sound design-y snippets (so quite literally just sounds) to clips of what have ended up being deemed finished tracks (these have been single live takes) and later released on Bandcamp.

To me, what ”finished” is varies from project to project. (Or, it’s finished once it’s released.)

2 Likes

Yeah. But, I like lots of short "snips’ rather than songs. I mean, I could pretentiously point at some Max Richter of Johann Johannnsssssonnn release, with their many 1 or 2 minute vignettes/snippets. That is what I tend to make 2 at most 3 minute mood jams.

Can I really “release” one song? I guess I did! I put a video on Youtube once with one track in. OK! I do that again for a new track? And then when I have 4-6 of them, I put them in an EP.

OK, this was really helpful. Thanks

3 Likes

This is the key to it, IMO, and it can be really hard to have the belief/confidence that what you’re working on is ready and/or good enough to release.
I always try to remember the ‘done is better than perfect’ mantra.

4 Likes

I’ve been quite productive over the last couple of years. I’ve worked hard to develop a flow which I enjoy, it’s fast, and gets a sound I’m looking for. At this point I have no interest in editing hi hats for two weeks, I set levels, improvise with my setup, overdub a track or two and mix down.

7 Likes

Calling these tracks finished so I can play with Octatrack & friends to make new ideas, which is the most fun part!

4 Likes

22022022 – it’s palindrome day. For this special occasion (and also as a birthday gift to myself :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) I’ve uploaded two new tracks to Bandcamp. They are mainly based on the OT, MM, DN and Waldorf Iridium. One is oriented towards IDM, the other is a beatless ambient piece. Happy for any feedback!

3 Likes

Back with Part 2 of this EP!

3 more tracks made between the Analog Rytm, Propellerhead Reason, and Ableton

The first track “HOLOGRAVE 3D” is all rytm with a limiter and Aberrant DSP’s Sketch Cassette 2 on the master. It’s the master bus of the rytm which I recorded this morning before releasing the EP because I couldn’t choose a third track from what I already had :sweat_smile:

Lol, I just figured “screw it, I’ll do something else then” but I feel like it worked out!

Here’s Planetarium+ (Part 2)

And the music video for the second track

Got some samples from this coming as well for anybody interested. Maybe some project files too!

3 Likes

lovely!

1 Like

you got it! i have every intention of releasing an album this year. songs are mostly written, just need to track some live drums!

not uploaded to bandcamp yet… but a shorter version will be up soon (need to create a cover too ha…). I think it’s “ok-material” for release.

1 Like

here you go

7 Likes

Always thought it was weird how little hype there was about you guys back in the day. Finnish group, or at least with ties to Finland on Young God? Idk if it was that maybe you lived somewhere else and just recorded in Finland? Still, I was a big fan (still am) of Gira / Young God back then and don’t really remember much hype about you guys here, despite Fonal etc. doing something a bit similar and being very succesful.

2 Likes

shorter version, cover done. I’ve changed (read heavy copy-pasting) a few vocal lines but listening back to the original jam, not sure it was a good idea but anyway, it is what it is.

EDIT: ok, it was bothering me too much so I’ve replaced the file with my vocal a tiny bit less upfront.

3 Likes

I finally got my thumb out of my behind and released a 10 song album which basically consists of songs I’ve recorded for the past two years which I felt deserved to be preserved…

Free to download for your enjoyment!

Edit: next release will be a 16 song album consisting of modular and Pulsar 23 mayhem .

6 Likes

I already posted this in our music, but here’s the first release this year. I’ve got tons more in the pipeline…

4 Likes

Too late to sign up?

I’m dropping a minimum of:

• a solo EP
  • a solo LP
  • a trio collaborative EP (alongside one of my favourite emcees & one of my favourite scratch DJs)

Hopefully there will be more too, but those three are definite (because they should have dropped last year :roll_eyes: )

5 Likes

It’s never too late (within 2022). Sign up and submit something on 31 December if you want to :slight_smile:

(At the rate I’m going, I might well be that late)

3 Likes

Maybe it’s not the right thread for it (and knowing this place there’s probably a thread about it already) but what is it that holds you back?

For me, I tend to enjoy getting lost in making beats but actually finishing them up and nailing them down to a formal release seems to present some kind of existential issue. I’m like the proverbial painter who is still dabbing at the canvas up to the point when it’s going out of the door to the sale/gallery.

3 Likes