Your airplane kit?

iPad

Imagine being so upset on a board that you start to put words in peoples mouths.

Alright, ya’ll, behave.

Pointless back and forth argument isn’t really adding to the discussion. See the guidelines, please.

5 Likes

The Deluge for me. I’m not a big fan of concentration/focus on an airplane besides a casual book. I would have field recordings and dusty pads looping. Staring at the clouds in a state of melancholy, occasionally changing the flavor of the notes or timbre. I love meditative vibes that I can control.

Practically, the brightness is adjustable for my sensitive eyes and my neighbors. Larger than I’d prefer for a carry-on so I would only bring it if I was planning on using it at my destination.

1 Like

I brought my digitakt once on a long distance train to find out if it could work to make music while traveling. When I turned it on I felt nauseous pretty fast because of the combination of watching the screen on a small device and traveling 300km/u.

Next to that you hear the noise around you (and of the train) which isn’t helpful on focussing to make any music. The buttons of the Digitakt are noisy as well and the blinking lights were reflecting all over the place so I was annoying other travellers too, so I stopped after a few minutes already.

Not for me anymore, I felt too antisocial and reading a good book about music production is also a great way of spending time while traveling.

1 Like

Anyone got suggested (folding?) headphones to use with the M8?

Well I still don’t have an M8 but I did buy some of these to use with SP404mk2.
Sound good to me and ultra portable

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/ie100pro

2 Likes

I’m using the classic ATH-M50 in a hard case with my OP-Z. Great for long trips.

For me anything more than one Elektron box would be too much of a hassle (2x power, midi and audio cables plug headphones) too many cables imo for a plane.
If I were to bring an Elektron box I’d probably bring the OT but even that is kinda meh
OP-1 would be a fine choice…M8 would be as well
Any time I have flown and felt the urge to write I’ve always taken it as an opportunity to use just my laptop. It’s something I never do, at home I’m surrounded by hardware and only use Ableton to record/mix etc so when I’m traveling I find it’s a goo opportunity to reacquaint myself with software. And on that note last time I did travel I taught myself how to use Drambo on my iPad and I ended up totally falling in love with it so maybe an iPad with Drambo, I was using all the internal stuff in addition with some synth and drum machine apps that we’re compatible to run as plugins in Drambo, it’s a hell of a powerful thing such a compact form.

I just use earbuds (treason, I know), because honestly there’s so much ambient noise on an airplane that I really give up on the prospect of any meaningful isolation without active noise cancelling involved. If I do any sound design on an airplane I pretty much always end up making some tweaks later when I have a less noisy environment to review the work I did.

Model:Cyles or Rytm, generally.

Edit: Lol, posted basically the same last year.

Just got back from a trip with a couple 10hr flights.

I took my OP-Z and nanobox lemondrop. I have the line module so the lemondrop audio goes into the OP-Z.

I setup both on the first flight, but couldn’t be bothered on the second flight and just used the OP-Z solo.

I only have a crappy pair of in-ear headphones which cost £6 from Maplins. I do need to invest in some better headphones :grin:

3 Likes

you’re lucky they didn’t think you were assembling a bomb mid flight, that looks wicked! :joy::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

That never occurred to me! An op-z probably looks more like the silly wired remote for the in-flight entertainment system than a bomb :rofl:

1 Like

:joy:

3 Likes

Sounds like you could use a holiday

5 Likes

Well, if I was super rich, maybe I’d choose a cruise ship over an airplane when traveling far. Enough time to set up a studio in your cabin.

1 Like

Speak for yourself brother.

What exactly is the issue? That some people on here fly more frequently than you? Or that they want to make music while on a plane for hours on end? Or that you are wondering whether you’ve missed your life?

I recommend walking if you REALLY want to get to know your instruments…

3 Likes

Sadly, there is no rail service between San Francisco and Tokyo.

Your impression that air travel is mandatory may be misplaced. I lived under the SFO approach (today is my last day here, ORD here I come!), and over the last week I have not seen more than two jets in the air at the same time. In 2019, you could see pairs of jets lined up all the way to the horizon. Even at 2AM, it wasn’t as dead as it is now.

I have a solo 3-4 day drive ahead of me. Won’t be fun, but should be safer than a plague flight.

Terence McKenna wasn’t wrong when he said travel is the most psychedelic thing you can do. But you don’t need flight to travel.

1 Like