YES a real analog Compressor, but which one? Drawmer? Elysia?

I’ve had the Shadow Hills comp, and a few other “high end” comps, but the Elysia Xpressor seems like its made for the Elektron boxes and electronic music in general. The Xfilter as a combo with the Xpressor and Heat is the best master buss chain I’ve heard so far.

5 Likes

I own both the 1973 and the xpressor(actually 2 xpressors😅). If I had to choose one it would be the xpressor. It is suuuper flexible and can do a lot of really cool compression tricks. Can be extremely transparent or extremely over the top if you want it to be. The 1973 is great too, but it is more for special cases where as the xpressor is applicable to practically everything.

The 1973 did get used on the Silver Souls tribute comp in the mastering stage, maybe on about half of the tracks. It’s parallel features really allow you to fine tune density in certain frequency ranges.

5 Likes

do you use ableton?

check the Looptrotter Emperor too…mid-way between Elysia Karacter and dynamics processor.

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/looptrotter-emperor

Yes, why?

1 Like

You can get a nice deal under $200 bucks

Valley People Symetrix 522

3 Likes

how do you use it? with the the build in “external audio effect” plugin?
and than recording the processed to a new audio track? warping off right?

I was about to pull the trig on a EMI TG12413 Zener Limiter which seems like a “eveything sound good through it” comp.

…followed up by a EMI TG12345 Curve Bender EQ by Chandler Limited. That sound…Mmmmm!!!

But I also got sold on the Elysia 500 series which gives you 4 modules for the price of one of the above. Youtube playlist processing Elektrons.

2 Likes

valley people is serious compression smash

I never use the external audio effect plugin. I basically treat DAWs as tape machines and editors. When mixing, verything is routed to an SSL XDesk, XPanda and Sigma and hardware inserts are used on individual tracks, busses and on the master buss. When mastering, I set up the analog signal path and run to the DAC on one track and capture on a seperate track. That way I can use plugins before and after the analog processing.

3 Likes

Serious crush. Probably the most over the top sounding compressors I’ve ever played with. Amazing pumping action, but I would never let a Valley People comp near my 2bus😜

sell it then hehe

1 Like

that looks interesting! thanks for sharing.

While I wouldn’t put them on my master bus, my Dynamite’s are indispensable for parallel compression. Turns drums into concrete slabs. From what I’ve heard pretty much all Valley People dynamics have this characteristic. If you can find a good deal on them, I highly recommend checking them out.

Its on my dream hardware compressor list. They never come up unfortunatly, I use the softube plugin ALLOT.

Reverb.com bro.I looked forever on eBay and never found one at the right price. Ignore the ones over $600.

cheers @knobgoblin the last time I looked it went for around near 600 this looks like its a fair price. Iv used distressor for similar purpose its not exactly the same but it can smash.

Thanks again Damian for your feedback after some research and your feedback i bought the elyria xpressor. do you use also a anlog eq? if yes which one you recommend and why?

Great! Hope you enjoy your Xpressor.

I have an XFilter from Elysia too. I didn’t do a lot of research before buying it: after choosing my compressor, I wanted something coherent with it : clean, linked stereo, versatile, etc. Since I was happy with the XPR, I take the corresponding EQ in the Elysia line. It’s a rather transparent EQ, with some nice tricks (filter with resonance, passive high-boost - I love this one).

Depending on what you are after, there is maybe better options: for instance, Pultec style EQs if you want something more of a frequency shaper (I’ve seen someone on this forum happy with such kind of EQ) or API stuffs. Analog Heat have also some decent EQ capabilities (far less precise of course, only two basic controls), and good filters (very good in the low, less spectacular in high register compared to the xfilter in my opinion), so it might be a bit of a duplication depending on your setup.

Overall I’m very happy with it, sounds excellent and works well with xpressor. Perhaps, I will buy later a stere pultec eq to complement my setup.

Hope it helps!

perfekt… i just bought the elysia xPressor and xFilter… and it is awesome…
now i am looking to have something with more color in my setup.

do you know any Stereo Pultec Style EQ?