Yamaha SEQTRAK

Thanks. This and the case looks tempting. Skiing now and left the seqtrak behind because I did not know how to pack it with all other stuff…

Would love to see how you set up use that!

Kawatin used an Akai Midimix in one of his clips. I don’t know if that’s possible but would be great to have levels, filter and fx sends for all/most tracks handy like that.

Question of the day:

How do people with small hands delete project number 8? Even with my large hands this is difficult.

Easy: use your nose!

2 Likes

8 is infinity turned by 90 degrees, so it is not to be deleted by mere mortals.

2 Likes

I have fairly big hands (see in the video above :laughing:) I use middle finger of left hand on delete, left thumb on pad 8, right hand index finger on project button.

But yeah some operations require a bit too much hold this and that thing way over there, while pressing something else.

I have for all tracks, but only 1 track at a time due to not enough buttons for all at once. I know it would be possible to have preset spot fx sends and mutes for each track all at once, plus preset spot fx for master. I might make a template for that eventually.

1 Like

having spent a day with the Seqtrak, i think this plastic little thing is adorable and also musically actually useful. the FM engine is serious, the ability to load samples into the synth engines is fantastic, the “sampler” track is laughably basic but still useful. the device is just about usable for noodling without the companion app, but the app unlocks so much functionality and turns it into a neat production environment with a pretty fluid and unobtrusive workflow that gels with me as an Elektron user. i think the sweet spot for this is to load it up with samples from all the fancy gear you have at home, and take it on a flight / camping / when you visit your parents.

it reminds me of the sort of thing you dream about finding at a car boot sale, you think “what the fuck is this”, you take it home and realise it’s got 4-OP FM, resonant filters, reverb, delay, and plays samples. can’t see any reason to complain.

the bluetooth on mine is still very temperamental but i can live with it, and who knows, maybe they’ll fix it in firmware. i’m taking mine to Mallorca weekend after next and leaving the laptop at home.

8 Likes

Your assessment is spot on!

Haha, I have those kind of dreams too :laughing:

But yeah you pretty much summed it up.

Not mine, but a nice litle jam together with a Typhon

3 Likes

More orange in the mix :slight_smile:

4 Likes

12 Likes

Loopop review dropped

4 Likes

Here are some of my beats. Some drums are custom from SkiBeatz.
It’s fun, but I’m still returning it and watch the firmware updates.

4 Likes

Super nice!

1 Like

He says you can’t load samples, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread you can, other than that a good rundown.

3 Likes

Still one of my fave things ever

There are some hidden (respective undocumented) shortcuts:

• When you press and turn the SOUND knob, you can navigate through the presets in steps of five.
  • When you press and turn the TRACK knob while holding PAGE, you can create whole bars for drum tracks.

Unfortunately, this shortcut is not available for the FX knob. Especially here I would like to have this shortcut to jump between the FX categories. Maybe I should suggest this on the Yamaha website.

4 Likes

All the demos sound great. (I love FM) I don’t hear a lot of A/B sections though, is that a limitation of how patterns/scenes work?