Yamaha SEQTRAK

Have you tried the bluetooth with the App? It could be a brilliant addition for quick edits.

Not great, feel a bit fiddly to use, need to hold device whilst pressing them, I think they’d have been better on the top edge rather than the sides TBH. However that said in performance I’d just use the app for remote control, for those functions.

Keyboard buttons are ok, not Elektron level, more like a clacky version of notepad keys.

Another quick one. How hard are the encoders to press. Feathery or a bit more force needed? Cheers.

Aw man… why is nobody making quality stuff like they used to. I hate this crap.
The KO II buttons look like they’re painted too.

1 Like

thanks for givin us the deets Daren.

sample locks would be great. pity it doesn’t do em thus far.

them little tiny buttons on the sides are weird. not a huge fan, ngl.

1 Like

Crap.
Opz is kept in the hand, so there it works. With it’s size and thickness you’re probably right that edge buttons would have worked better

or just normal buttons. for normal people :joy:

the tiny play button is one of my least favourite things about deluge. this one being an even tinier button on the side is even worse.

Totally different really, this feels way more performance oriented, scatter on MCs is great, and the faders and knobs are useful in performance, whereas this is more about realtime switching of sequences, the 3 fx sliders, kind of like a kaoss pad, OT or DJ mixer in terms of doing tricks while jamming patterns, very hands on and fun.

Yes, the app is very responsive over Bluetooth, great for mixing, muting, tweaking etc even if it is via a touchscreen, it still feels direct.

Pretty easy, a tad less force than Elektron encoders I’d say.

Heh, got to charge it now as there is an update and it says my battery is too low to update, fucksticks :laughing:

Yeah it’s not optimal :laughing: however you can stop/start via the app too. It feels like they want you to use the app TBH, and it is very well executed IMHO.

4 Likes

Uuuh. Update already? What’s new? :smiley:
“Bug fixes & security improvements” ? :smiley:

I wonder how far p-locks can take you compared to an elektron :thinking:

can you p-lock fx sends?
I guess no p-locking of fx parameters.

It would make sense to be able to p-lock every knob that’s automatable.

yea using a phone or iPad touchscreen sounds optimal.

PLocks seem pretty comprehensive, I only fucked around with it for a little while, not Elektron level as AFAICT no way to preview or view locked value other than maybe the bar of LEDs at time of locking, but I’ll look into this more once it is charged and updated.

So far though feel like it was worth the ÂŁ349, it definitely fills a role in my portable setup and probably in my studio too.

Construction is not typical Yamaha IMHO, I reckon I could snap it in half if I tried, it doesn’t feel like it would stand up to rough treatment but I think for most people it will be ok.

8 Likes

From the product photos, it looks like it’s build from 3 parts. so you can literally snap it into 3 parts :))

Okay I’m in. I need a sketchpad and this fits the bill nearly perfectly. I don’t really need slicing at the sketchpad stage, many times I don’t need it at all since my workflow (abbreviated) is:

–sketch full sections of songs so they sound good enough to stand on their own, essentially creating all the loops that will go into the track.
–bring loops into Renoise to process/remix/arrange them.

Obviously if I feel the need to slice, I can do it in the remix/arrangement stage in Renoise. Same with chromatic sample play, BUT, it’d be hella cool to have chromatic sample play onboard the Seqtrak so the samples can be part of the writing process early on.

Also, with it providing USB power, and having what looks to be 11-part multitimbrality (can anyone confirm?), it should make quite the companion to the T-1.

*Thanks for the deets @darenager

4 Likes

Indeed, thank you :grin:

what’s the reverb like? :sheep::sparkles:

I think the box is fun :slight_smile: he kinda forgot about us.
I should use that damn KO II until this arrives :))

F.Y.I. The IOS app takes up 2.27GB of space. Almost as much as Logic Pro for iPad. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Probably the 3D stuff takes a bunch of space. Hopefully you can delete it.