Yamaha MODX Synthesizer

Well I think I’ve made up my mind.
Sounds good but looks like a pig to program, much like the Kronos I had a while back.
If you are into the presets then it’s a fantastic synth no doubt.
Back to requesting separate knobby fm-x synth from Yamaha, or maybe still try and snag a second hand montage with the extra control, although they still sell for around 3 grand here in Oz

Not going to wait for the editor db2a is talking about? :wink:

I believe what he said - I imagine even Richard Devine’s patience, despite his professed love of FM synthesis, would be sorely tested without the editor.

Yeah I guess we will see what happens down the track

db2a’s Samplebot idea is interesting to me. I don’t have a Waldorf Quantum and probably never will, but it might be useful to gather samples of my Lyra-8 and Korg MS-20 Mini - neither of which have patch memory - for playback via the AWM2 side. The XA aspect of AWM2 offers some useful options for sample switching and that kind of stuff.

Yeah I have zero interest in the sample playback side of the synth, hence the reason it makes it a harder purchase

@d2ba is this the editor?

http://www.jmelas.gr/montage/products.php

Came up in a discussion about how MODX presets are stereo-ized via the effects and how much easier it is to edit the elements and FX with Melas’ software.

get a digitone

1 Like

Digitone looks fun but not quite enough under the hood to justify purchase for me
For a little more coin I would definitely take the MODX over it

same, maybe get an old DX to scratch the itch

Oh god no
Use a plugin over wrestling with that old dog any day of the week

Damn. Now I am interested.

I really like that they made the USB audio class-compliant so that you don’t need any drivers like with Roland or Elektron gear.

3 Likes

Makes perfect sense. No idea why so many synth manufacturers insist on doing their own thing.

1 Like

Yep, MODX could be sequenced by SunVox, BM3, Roseta, whatever iPad app you love to sequence with; have audio sync sync MODX motion sequencer to iPad audio, use the envelope follower, feed MODX audio into iDensity, apeMatrix, AUM, etc. etc.

Montage supposedly also has this IOS integration too but with more channels, albeit higher price point.

Well today I thought fug it
It’s cheap, if its shit I’ll sell it, so I ordered it
I will tell in a few days I guess

5 Likes

Yeah interestingly the AMW2 I think was atleast first fully featured on the TG-55 as its only way of making sounds. A large number of the preset patches on it are actually somewhat abstract with filter envelopes sweeping around for some interesting resonance/atmosphere and a collection of wavetable ish saw squares triangle and digital waves for you to craft analog style sounds with.
the built in demo actually shows off some cool sounds as cheesy as it is overall.

There have been a multitude of improvements to the AMW2 resolution, filter types and FX but oddly they dropped a number of LFO types down the line somewhere… kind of sad that there is no longer a sample and hold lfo because you could get some really nice Datastream style patches going on. really slow subtle pitch envelopes and setting a bit of pitch to aftertouch is really excellent on AMW2 for a almost mellotron feeling tape warble at your finger tips, perfect for mashing a flute and a synth sound together with a little grit. Would probably be amazing to load it up with mellotron samples.

1 Like

Used to work in a music store in the early 90’s and haven’t heard that demo since then (probably heard it played 20 times a day). Instantly transported me down the years… wonder how many other synth demo songs are waiting in my neural memory?

2 Likes

Don’t have modx yet and am trying to work out whether it will be possible to send digital audio to my DAW via USB from modx but still use my RME as my audio interface?
I know this is possible on Mac via aggregate interface but am on windows.
Want digital audio to save unnecessary D/A to A/D conversion and take advantage of streaming multiple channel digital audio to my DAW.
This is possible with Virus TI for example

1 Like

To answer my own question I don’t think it will be possible unfortunately.
The only way I think possible would be within the ‘Modx Connect’ plugin within the daw, but this plugin seems to transfer just data only to and from the synth.
Wish this synth at least had a separate digital out.
Every digital synth should

1 Like

I think the only way of using modx USB audio is by selecting it as your audio interface within your DAW.
I am using and need to use my RME as my selected interface therefor cant see a way of then using modx USB digital audio alongside it.
Different on Mac as you can aggregate the interfaces.
The times when it is possible with e.g. Virus TI and Overbridge, the digital audio has been routed through the DAW inside their plugins.
The Yamaha ‘Modx Connect’ plugin handles data only, no audio