Yamaha MODX Synthesizer

You mean this bit?

Yeah, I could see this being a bummer for the folks that really want to dig into programming the thing, and spending more money for the Montage won’t fix the problem either.

I’m not clear on why they advise mapping the Super Knob to a Common Assignable Knob, then mapping that to a Part Assignable Knob, then mapping that to the part’s parameter (rather than just mapping the Super Knob straight to whatever parameter you want). I suppose on the Montage this gives you a bunch of mapped LED rings on your knobs which I suppose is nice, but it sure feels like a lot of extra steps to do something pretty simple. Maybe it’s just that I’m used to the Nord way and other common modulation matrices (where you map a source to a destination and call it a day)? It appears you can also do this directly on the MODX, but I’ve also gotten a “Super Knob full” message a few times when trying to do that with some of the existing performances, and it’s not apparent to me what’s filling it up (there are supposed to be 16 common-level mod assignments available at least, and there didn’t seem to be that many there when I got the “full” message, unless I was missing something).

1. As far as I can tell right now, since each element has its own filter EG, if I want to give a sound a lil punch with the Filter EG, and the sound has multiple elements (many of them do), then I have to go into each element and adjust the following 6 parameters:
  • Attack
  • Attack Level
  • Decay1
  • Decay1 Level
  • Decay2
  • Decay2 Level

Yeah stuff like that point 2 is the sort of thing that kills creativity

That will be the guy that returns everything expect the P12 in 30 days -ignore him

So you like programming it?

Yeah i do but I’m putting my own samples in there. I explained earlier why this machine works for me --MODX6 USD$1000 street price IS A LOT OF SYNTH for the $$$
You won’t be aware of this.
There is an amazing software FMX Editor that the Yamaha engineers and sound designers use --not released to the public as it has features that will be later implemented in the hardware. Richard Devine programed his FMX presets with that editor .

Sweet
Are they going to release the editor to the public?
No brainer for me if it came with an editor

I’m getting a copy when i do i will PM you here

Really, or are you pulling my leg ???

no

No you aren’t getting the editor, or no you aren’t pulling my leg? :grinning:

I’m getting the editor have faith --check out the Moog One forum here–scroll to the top–i had pricing and info two months ago on that–is that proof enough for you?

Awesome
Considering that’s why I am on the fence with modx I am more than interested :thup:
If it came with an editor I would have owned it by now for sure

The MODX works for me with no editor but as always try before you buy --presumably 30 day return period .Its a very good machine for street price so is in target range for everyone here :slight_smile:

Not that easy in Australia unfortunately

MODX6 AU$1599 from Store DJ

Yeah pain in the arse to return I mean

How about the touchscreen? Do you think it’s durable enough to last more than 5 years?

I would presume it’s impossible to tell.
Only time will tell
Even an iPad is impossible to tell how long the screen will last.
I’m on my third iPad.
First one screen still going after 8 years
Second one screen just died after 3 years

Montage been out a while and has same screen as far as I know?
Wonder if any reported issues with its screen yet?

Yeah, the M3 has a resistive touch screen.

Montage has been out for about 2 years now, so the lack of reports of the touch screen to date does look promising.

Comments seen on Keyboard Corner:

It’s plastic, but I wouldn’t call it “mushy”. I think know what you mean though, and it’s that type of screen. It’s pretty firm (of course it is new) but the screen is very responsive. I like it better than the Kronos, as it always responds to light touch.

upon closer inspection, I think you are correct. It appears to have a membrane over it that distorts (physically not visually) when you press it. Like a plastic membrane over glass?.. Or more accurately like a touch screen monitor.

1 Like