Yamaha MODX Synthesizer

Yamaha MODX6 would be mine, small

From what I have heard, I much prefer the sound of the MODX

i will take a look at the manual, i want to know whats in it

take a look in the manual, i just checked the modulations-page ---- awesome

Yeah, I like that MODX sequencer exists for the sole purpose of modulation - the Motion Sequencer. An annoyance to the confused souls who think the MODX replaces the MOXF line of workstations (it doesn’t) - but a big plus for us.

It does have a “performance recorder” but for most peeps’ purposes, it’s not a sequencer - no editing of any kind.

The last (to date) video I posted is the only one I found so far that shows the audio input functions - the audio sync and the envelope follower. I’ll have some fun testing with Euclidean rhythms coming from a BramBos app on iPad connected to the USB jack, Senode-generated stuff, etc.

I really hope Elektron don’t go with touch screens. I can’t stand them. The UX generally feels forced and I feel like they slow down work flow. Clever nav elements like a jog wheel, 4 way arrow keys and soft keys on the other hand, tend to improve work flow in my experience.

7 Likes

The touchscreen on the Korg M3 workstation line has some known issues. I have an M3 61 myself. I try to avoid pressing on it as much as possible after I found out how delicate it actually is. It can be easily damaged and stop working.

I would hope the MODX and the big brother Montage have more durable touchscreens, but we’ll see.

Best two digital synths on the planet right now (i like the MODX better than Montage series!)
Quantum and MODX6

3 Likes

Nice!

How’s the MODX touchscreen? Is it as squishy and prone to damage as the Korg M3 touchscreen? Or does it feel solid and capable of taking years of fingering?

1 Like

well, in a decade he can tell

1 Like

I’ve been asking around about the touchscreen. People say its great and stuff, but nobody wants to talk about the durability. I don’t think it’s an unreasonable question - can you use it without worrying about it breaking or not? Simple yes or no question.

Maybe it’s a dirty secret…

how can he tell man, maybe he throws the MODX on the floor or crack the display with a hammer

I’m going to try the MODX myself in a store, sooner or later. I just want to make sure that touchscreen isn’t as delicate as my Korg M3s.

wasn’t the touchscreen on M3 with resistant - i mean you had to press really hard on that screen or not

Seconded. No touch screens, please.

1 Like

I think I agree unless a touch screen with UI designed to be used with a stylus… as good touch has gotten at figuring out what we want to do with are big fingers it never feels accurate compared to a good wacom style stylus. I would be all down for a stylus driven vector synth or something that let me draw waves to interpolate between. It just has got to be done right which I’m not sure if I believe any company at this point would do. Obviously still give us are knobs sliders and other physical control interfaces.

1 Like

No, not really hard. But the more you use it, the more you shorten the lifespan of the touchscreen. Eventually, it responds less and less to finger pressure, until it doesn’t respond at all or you get a “cant calibrate” error message when you try to calibrate.

I was using the screen as an XY controller until word of the screen flaws reached me. After that, I avoided touching it as much as possible.

M3 touchscreen was shit
Mine broke and virtually gave the synth away

1 Like

Curious why would you like MODX over Montage?

Can’t speak for the modx, but the montage feels better than the m3m did - but then again, i never had any issues with that one either