Yamaha MODX Synthesizer

Right. I use my DX-7 as my master keyboard. I’ve yet to play a keyboard with a more enjoyable action.

1 Like

If I didn’t have this crazy chain of Master Kbd Controller > MIDI Interface > DAW/sequencer > MIDI Interface > Vintage Rack Synths, I’d use a DX7 as a controller, too…

but the latency introduced with so many 5-pin MIDI bus interconnections is so bad by the time it gets to triggering the final sound module that I have to use USB wherever possible to try and shave down any latency where I can. Thus I’m relegated to controller keyboards which have MIDI over USB…and most of them have sucky keybeds.

no friken doubt. it’s annoying to that the velocity only goes to 100, though it’s easy to scale in a DAW. The dx7 keybed is butter.

1 Like

It sounds great but seriously Yamaha, you build a synth with all this level of modulation and expressive control and then don’t include a keybed with aftertouch?

2 Likes

If I want a synth with maximum expressive control from my hands, I’d go for the Medusa. XYZ sensitivity on individual pads on the grid, possible MPE support to be added later. Or perhaps a combo of Roli Seaboard (Block version if budget is low) and Micromonsta.

The MODX draws me for other reasons.

Montage has aftertouch - just save up for that instead of MODX

Thomann have in stock

Might have to give up that right hand space on the MODX6 that I was thinking of using for my iPad, for a Seaboard Block ;). Roli has a bundle deal until October 3.

Montage doesn’t have MPE, so I presume MODX doesn’t have it either. But at least one user has reported successfully setting up a Roli->Montage configuration:

Even without full MPE, the Roli has more expressive potential than plain old channel aftertouch.

1 Like

Could work for some people, for sure.

holly s#*t, this synth is amazing, fully packed with endless options

for pads and atmospheres

1 Like

Yep no doubt this thing sounds insane. Best sounding hardware synth available imo (and montage of course)
Seems like one giant sweet spot
Seems impossible to make it sound bad
So harmonically rich

2 Likes

Checking out some demos… I don’t care about quality of performance or even master quality production -just some idea of the patches.

3 Likes

Gotta say I like that piano sound at 13:00. Some will say its the most shit piano ever but there’s a quirkiness to it that I like. I’m not too crazy about ultra-realiism in a synth/rompler anyway.

“…conceived in the dark ice kingdom…” Sold!

First demo I’ve seen with an iPad sitting on top of the MODX. Also the first demo I’ve seen of the audio input for syncing and possible envelope following (sidechaining). Sync seems solid enough for four-on-the-floor beats.

ipad/iphone supports the APP they have for the yamaha ‘sound mondo’ website where you can upload/download/share presets for the reface series and the Montage. you can open the app and instantly send a preset to the refaceDX/CS and to montage via the app just by pressing the icon for the preset. w/the reface series it’s instantaneous. pretty cool feature.

2 Likes

I was pleasantly surprised at how good the app is the first time I used it!

1 Like

About to cave in and order one of these.
A lotta synth for the money
Any more reports from any new owners?
I presume the programming is a bit of a pig with the reduced control, but seems like it’s worth a gamble

1 Like

I have a MODX and a Quantum --MODX is just as nice as Quantum in many ways

wow, what a statement - consider the different price-tag

and i wondering if Elektron is ever using a touchscreen on future-products