Yamaha MODX Synthesizer

And yet Yamaha knows enough to get someone like Devine involved (he’s like catnip for so many…synth enthusiasts/musicians).

Personally I think if they did something like the DX-200 they would at least recover their costs, especially since all the R&D is done. Well, actually, maybe not the R&D on fun and UI. :smiley:

1 Like

You should report back here on your experience with it! You seem to like sound design and not just using presets…?

I can’t play I’m strictly a programmer --actually Richard Devine has an Editor for the MODX that Yamaha only gives out to their programmers --would love to get my hands on that.
Yeah only interested in the FMX ----sort of wanted a 64 voice digitone with motion sequencing of more than 4 bars

2 Likes

Thanks for posting!

1 Like

People who have been wanting FM-X but didn’t want to pay over $2600 US for it, and who refuse to drink the softsynth kool-aid

2 Likes

just be prepared to do most of it on a touch screen. it’s a bit harder to sit w/a big synth in your lap on the couch than it is w/something little like the digitone.

the FM-X sounds great though. deep. a programmers synth.

2 Likes

Cheaper than most of the new iPhones.

Edit: was also just discussing parameter locks vs broader/slower modulation gestures with another synth head. Hard to get the latter on Elektrons…especially without slides?

2 Likes

For minimal techno type stuff, I think the Digitone is a better fit. No song mode, sure, but you don’t need song mode for minimal techno, otherwise it wouldn’t be “minimal” :rofl: But you got a self-contained groovebox with sequencer.

MODX has a motion sequencer but that’s modulation only. It’s got a “performance recorder” sequencer, but no editing allowed. So it doesn’t have what you would want for techno jams, by itself anyway.

2 Likes

Was talking about it with a friend of mine who runs a commercial studio. Says he’s got no time for any real programming/sound design and mostly sticks to presets. Long story short he’s planning on selling his kronos for one of these.

1 Like

??

I think he realized he can’t do techno jams on the MODX by itself.

All the buzz I’ve seen for the modx has definitely been for the fm engine. I honestly keep forgetting the awm2 is even in it.

1 Like

When size matters: the ModX8 is 23 times heavier than the OP-Z, takes up 705 times the space, yet is only 4 times the price.

1 Like

$423,000 is probably too much to spend filling up a ModX8 carry case with OP-Z’s

7 Likes

They couldn’t let Korg have all the fun.

My Korg M3 came with like 4 or so manuals too.

Does the FM engine on this basically replace the FS1R?

Is there anything the FS1R can do that the MODX or Montage can’t?

Thanks.

1 Like

FS1R has the formant stuff

1 Like

Ah! of course. The “FS” in FS1R.

But I saw BoBeats do a MODX video where he was playing a preset that sounded just like the “shoo-be-doo” FS1R preset, which uses the Formants as well?

edit: maybe those were AWM2 voices?

Wow this thing is selling here in OZ for only $1559 AUD for MODX6
At that price tempting indeed
Even cheaper 49 keys would be to hard to resist I think

1 Like

I think it really just depends on how you like to program, I feel like awm2 is right up the alley of an artist like legowelt. You can build up some really interesting sounds by filtering with different evelopes and modulations and stacking them, kind of dreamy desolving stuff. That said I think maybe an older awm2 unit might be more interesting as the lofi nature leads to stranger more abstract results pretty often. Maybe I’ll upload some of the awm2 patches I’ve been making on the tg55 I think there is a lot to be had there for interesting pads.

@psyclone001 a 49 keys would also make it just fit the knob layout… never like the look of that wasted space

1 Like