Yamaha MODX Synthesizer

We’re having a laugh at those on the other thread

I’m guessing Roland will have a real answer to the MODX by Winter NAMM, unless this new Juno DS has some kind of hidden synthesis powers - unlikely as Roland would have proudly trumpeted it. I’m guessing it’s just another repackaging of the aging SuperNATURAL hybrid rompler-modeling engine.

They already have a Juno model with hybrid analog monosynth-digital engine.

1 Like

All jokes aside I want that red and black keytar. I need to shred basslines on that with a Megadeath shirt on. Did I just say Megadeath? Yes I outed myself and my age.

2 Likes

!!!

1 Like

I wanted to talk about it on the 909 thread but they turned into an iPad thread

1 Like

Pardon me for posting on-topic…

“Yamaha is launching their new MODX range of compact, lightweight synthesizers. The lineup consists of the MODX6 and MODX7, with 61 and 76 synth-weighted keybeds, and the 88-note MODX8 with Graded Hammer Standard action.”

2 Likes

WTH… Sweetwater just took that page down.

1 Like

Didn’t realize there’s a schedule. I guess this one will be taken down soon too.

Like when you stop a turntable and it slows to a stop, I guess.

1 Like

For all we know it could be more Internet forum created fake news. “brake”… LOL

1 Like

its being announced today , they spoke about an ‘unnamed’ synth being launched today on sonic state , but couldnt talk about it due to nda’s .

not for me…
The MODX series will be available from 14th September.

The UK SRP including VAT are:
MODX6 61 Keys, Semi-Weighted, 6,6Kg: £1242
MODX7 76 Keys, Semi-Weighted, 7,4Kg: £1420
MODX8 88 Keys, GHS, 13,8Kg: £1642

SCMODX6 MODX6 Soft Case: £115
SCMODX7 MODX7 Soft Case: £115
SCMODX8 MODX8 Soft Case: £186

1 Like

Damn. No Vinyl Brake :sob:

They do have Vinyl Break tho. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I wonder if the MIDI over USB is bidirectional. Would be useful for sequencing the MODX from, say, SunVox running on IOS.

1 Like

Yeah, the audio I’m not worried about. I thought the specs said 4-in, 10-out USB audio interface but whatever.

It is on the montage. Modx & montage have same usb audio functionality, so im guessing usb midi would be the same.

1 Like

the yamaha reps are super nice people. we stock their stuff at modular8 so i’ve had numerous conversations w/them in person. i always make a point of talking about a standalone FM-x synth w/knobs and then i point to the DSI Pro-2 or the nord lead and say “it should look something like that but w/all that FMX stuff inside” and they always say “yeah we know. EVERYONE tells us that”. i think they pass those things up the chain but yamaha is a BIG company and everything that happens has to go through marketing and various board rooms and meetings and all that so there’s fat chance of it actually happening. the yamaha reface stuff (which all sounds really great) is the end result of one engineer who chewed on the ears of everyone who could and made it his pet project to get them made.

reface DX really sounds great btw as does the CS and CP.

but i’m w/everyone else who things a knobs/sliders covered FM synth is a no brainer home run product.

5 Likes

Yamaha won’t ever compete in the groove box market… They don’t think we’re important anymore. I work in the sale of electronic instruments and was told this directly by a Yamaha rep…

2 Likes

it’s funny they consider synths “the groove box market”. they’re detached from musicians in some ways. it’s a minor miracle the reface series were made.

2 Likes

Congrats !

Yamaha is really going all-out with the marketing on this one aren’t they? I’m seeing an unusual amount of chat and videos for what is IMO not a very interesting machine. I wonder who their target audience is?