Yamaha MODX Synthesizer

Hey mate, which version of the modx was this?

Just add the Linnstrument for expressive control

Yes, the idea of attaching an MPE controller via USB was mentioned a while back. I liked the little version of the Roli Seaboard, but that was before Arturia released the MicroFreak. Today I’d favor the Arturia even though it’s “only” a poly aftertouch controller - just my personal preference. I like controllers that also have their own sounds.

1 Like

Yamaha ModX 61 key and Akai MPC Live would be a good combo when playing without computers

Sorry Elektron, I do like your little Digitakt & Digitone for the compact form factor

Found one of these (61-key version) at a discount, and am playing it on trial now for a few weeks before I have to decice if I’m gonna keep it. If I do, I’m gonna have to trade my Digitone Keys to fund it.

So far, it’s a very interesting synth. It’s a workstation without a sequencer, but with a boost Reface CS / DX looper implemented for ideas and notes, so it’s actually quite defined. A sound designer beast with a keyboard to go with it and a looper to record phrases when they pop into your head. But you just can’t make complete tracks on this alone, it presents itself very clearly in that way, and I like that. It’s like, yeah, sure, the looper’s not bad, but don’t even go there. Use it for cool stuff and bring that cool stuff into whatever production environment you usually build your songs in. And make only crazy sound design shit with these keys.

So there’s nothing like it, really, because while the looper is bare bones, it’s still one that goes way beyond 64 or 128 steps, it allows overdubbing, it’s great for live playing your ideas, it overdubs and it does allow for all 16 parts to record together.

1 Like

Nice summary. This matches exactly with my own impressions.

I would buy it within the blink of an eye if Yamaha would ever rethink their strategy of not releasing desktop/keyless units anymore (too much keys around here and for playing I prefer my SL88 studio keyboard).

1 Like

Good one, agree with you. Just adding that ModX and Digitone are really good sounding friends… doing percussive stuff on Digitone and ModX for everything else is working really good here…

1 Like

I think you will find that the MODX does have a sequencer, as well as the ability to record audio

1 Like

Yeah, I mean, what’s there is (very) useful, but it’s not your classic workstation sequencer, is it? But I like that. Makes it more focused.

Yeah, don’t doubt that for a second. But there’s space and funds :blush: though the Digitone keybed is better, despite its 37 keys range.

Yeah, considering its non-traditional take on the idea of a workstation, this one is super appropriate for a module.

On the other hand, it is a treat to play. So maybe Yamaha wants to own the entire experience or not at all.

EDIT: Well, this was fun. But the MODX goes back and the Digitone Keys stays. If nothing else, the MODX helped me appreciate what I already got even more.

ok so I’ve had the MODx for a while now and can say it rules pretty hard. I should really program it more. Someone posted my first pad sound earlier in the thread

it has a really nice crystalline tone to it, the most hi fi sound in the best way, complete opposite of an 80s digital but great. would def recommend to anyone who is curious

you have all of the FS1R algorithms inside, just not the formant stuff

2 Likes

2.0 update is here
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/modx_os_updater.html

New features;

• New effect types have been added.
  • New Performances have been added.
  • The Pattern Sequencer function has been added.
  • You can now play songs, patterns and audio files from the Live Set display.
  • Super Knob Link has been added to the data that is recorded in the Scene function.
  • Keyboard Control has been added to the data that is recorded in the Scene function.
  • Increased the range of the LFO Speed parameter.
  • You can now connect MIDI equipment via the USB TO DEVICE terminal.
  • The Global Micro Tuning settings have been added.
  • The Audition Loop setting has been added.
  • Improvements have been made to the user interface.
  • The Note capacity (total area in Store) has been increased from 130,000 to 520,000 (for Songs) and 520,000 (for Patterns).

Fixed problems;

• Fixed other minor problems.
1 Like

Thank you, happy to try this new LFO and the USB to device thing!

Do you have a modx ?Could you elaborate about the sequencer part? Could it seemlessly switch songs? I assume it could also output midi of the sequencer tracks? I am bit turned on, as i really love Omnisphere, and this thing is somewhat close in hardware. (And not very expensive, for the feature set.)

Sorry I don’t have one. I was just posting the news for people who do. I have to pick my battles carefully with the keyboards. I do think the MODX is a beast but I will probably get a Waldorf Kyra

1 Like

I dont know, this sounds really nice for live usage. Also as controller for external boxes.

Also the performance thing sounds a bit like the kit system on the Elektrons, i havent checked if its possible to send program change via the sequencer, and when its triggerd. I.e. on loop or on load of the performance.

1 Like

Does the sequencer in the MODX have note edit capability?

Something like a piano roll where incorrect notes can be erased/moved/written etc.

I’ve done some research and RTFM but can’t find an answer and wondered if someone who owns one could give me an answer please?

Yamaha announced MODX+. Main upgrades over MODX are increased FMX polyphony and flash memory.

2 Likes